• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri-Nations Game 2 All Blacks V Springboks - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
"You suck one dick and they call you a cocksucker"

;)

I guess there are always more than one way to make a point!

James is still prone to high shots. He got binned in a Super 15 game. He used his arms which is progress!

James on form makes very good decisions and very few errors. He played some scorchers for Bath and I would suggest he is a better player now than he was in 2007 in most respects.

Again, I would start Lambie if I had the chance but it will be James and I'm not completely fussed about that. Unless he is terrible in the 3N of course.

James' strenghts fit a conservative Bok game plan like hand in glove. We are not going to start swinging it wide now.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
PdV is such a poor coach I sometimes find myself getting frustrated at the waste of South African rugby talent (the feeling generally passes quickly). I can't see them troubling the All Blacks at all this weekend. Pienaar and Steyn was pretty poor last weekend, so it is no wonder they got hammered. Played well enough to not hurt their chances of staying in the squad long term: Roussow, De Jong, Deysel, Johnson.

The All Blacks have great depth as usual. Even Carter can be ably covered by Slade - not like for like, but a strong substitute. I thought Ali Williams looked pretty good late on in the Super comp. I think Nonu was pretty poor for the Hurricanes (when he played), so maybe that is a weak point. I'm not sure why Ranger didn't make their squad.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
From: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/5344177/Contact-area-looms-as-a-key-for-All-Blacks

Contact area looms as a key for All Blacks
OPINION: It has been impressive to watch the All Blacks coaches in action this week as they set to work on the detail of an area that is increasingly deciding the outcomes of test-match rugby.

Two weeks ago Samoa used the counter-ruck to destroy Australia's search for quick attacking ball, something South Africa failed to achieve with disastrous results in Sydney last weekend.

While every club side in New Zealand spends hours on the breakdown, they do not do it with the impressive accuracy and thought of the country's top side.

After dispatching Fiji 60-14 at Carisbrook in Dunedin last Saturday, the All Blacks admonished themselves for their lack of effectiveness at the contact area.

The ball was slow to emerge on attack or turned over as Fijian defenders were allowed to linger at the tackle, while opportunities to counter-ruck were missed.

Part of the problem was that the All Blacks played a wide game from set piece, but did not send all of their forwards to the breakdown.

For such a plan to be effective it requires a total buy-in to ball retention and after watching the All Blacks train it is clearly an area in which they plan to improve.

"You try and work on weaknesses in some areas," halfback Piri Weepu said yesterday.

"Most teams go out wide and the old cliche is backs can't clean out and protect the ball, so our main focus is to protect the ball no matter what number you are wearing.

"Everyone has to do their jobs and know their roles so come breakdown time everyone is protecting the ball and reading the situation when we are able to counter-ruck."

Such focus takes accuracy and good decision-making to be effective.

The sight of foraging openside flankers such as Richie McCaw snaffling turnovers at the tackle has become rarer this season.

Instead of going for the ball, tacklers are trying to get to their feet then take the "metre" or the space beyond the ball. That provides an opportunity for their team-mates to counter-ruck and drive past the ball in numbers.

Commit too many players to a failed quest for a turnover though and you get caught out on defence.

It's that balance the All Blacks appear to be working hard to get right.

It is a detail within the structure of how they plan to play in coming weeks, but it may not be the focal point in a month's time.

You get the feeling this team want to be able to play whatever style their opposition presents, but it will be interesting to see how much is held back when the cup campaign begins.

That's not in terms of intensity or effort, but in how much they plan to play the game.

"Last year in particular we came out and provided a different way to play footy and then two or three weeks later everyone else was playing the same," Mils Muliaina said this week.

"You have to come up with a few new things, but being World Cup year you have to make sure you don't leave too much in your back pocket.

"It is kind of difficult. Particularly in this environment you don't want to be experimenting too much. You want to go out with the expectation that you just want to win and you don't want to be holding things back but you don't want to show your cards too early."

M

Muttonbird

FDP - My news is that he came back from injury too early which was evident from his play for the Bulls. I will reserve judgment on him until we see the home leg. From what I have been told he is in peak condition. Enough class to come back strong.

Surely you meant to say "injured".

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Springboks have demonstrated a total lack of understanding of effective counter rucking for the last few seasons. I don't expect this to be any different on Saturday. All Blacks to run rampant.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Piet and his yes men have demonstrated a total lack of understanding of effective counter rucking for the last few seasons. I don't expect this to be any different on Saturday. All Blacks to run rampant.

Fixed. The players seemed to counter ruck nicely in the Super tournament.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely you meant to say "injured".

Well they are lying about the bulk of those players bu in FdP's case I think he would not have been playing for fear on taking contact on his shoulder. He has been in rehab for almost almost thre months but I have hear he may not start the return leg og the 3N either.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
All Blacks named for Saturday

ALL BLACKS: Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Jimmy Cowan, Adam Thomson, Richie McCaw, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Ali Williams, Ben Franks, Andrew Hore, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Corey Flynn, John Afoa, Jarrad Hoeata, Liam Messam, Piri Weepu, Colin Slade, Sonny Bill Williams

Seems that a Nonu and SBW midfield will be tried at some stage if possible.

Thomson will be at 8 with McCaw reverting to his usual position.

They've picked the two wingers who are good chasers and solid under the high ball. Though I doubt their attacking ability will put any fear in to the opposition.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Quote from Stuff (above)

The sight of foraging openside flankers such as Richie McCaw snaffling turnovers at the tackle has become rarer this season.

Instead of going for the ball, tacklers are trying to get to their feet then take the "metre" or the space beyond the ball. That provides an opportunity for their team-mates to counter-ruck and drive past the ball in numbers.

Commit too many players to a failed quest for a turnover though and you get caught out on defence.

Very good this.

The law crackdown has marginalised fetchers who, through the conventions of referees in the last 2 or 3 decades, but more noticeably since the professional era started, were allowed to act in contravention to the laws of the game.

It was always illegal to do anything else other than release the player one tackled, but more and more players were allowed to hold onto them and even used them as leverage to get themselves up. Their hands on the tackled player were at the centre of a circle and by holding onto them the body of the tackler was helped up by centrifugal force.

After two Super season of puzzled looks forwards are realising what the theorists were saying when the crackdown was first mooted: counter-rucking would be the new way to go. Yours truly said "New way my arse, that's how it used to be 40 years ago when tacklers had to release the tackled player and the law hasn't changed, just the compliance."

The thing I didn't count on was defending forwards evolving into space takers. Nothing wrong with driving past the ball if opponents allow it, that's another old one I had forgotten about. When I was a young bloke we were told to step over the ball on arriving (you weren't even allowed to pick up tackled ball in those days) and drive trusting that others would be behind us, but what they do now is stay around loitering on the wrong side of the ruck.

Just goes to show that you have to match what the other mob is doing on your ball unless the quality is good and you can get rid of it early and catch them short elsewhere.

The thing I fear is that other untoward conventions will be established in place of the acquiescence of holding onto the tackled player.

What will be the new ruck virus that is allowed to cause infections in our game? Watch this space.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

ALL BLACKS: Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Jimmy Cowan, Adam Thomson, Richie McCaw, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Ali Williams, Ben Franks, Andrew Hore, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Corey Flynn, John Afoa, Jarrad Hoeata, Liam Messam, Piri Weepu, Colin Slade, Sonny Bill Williams

They've picked the two wingers who are good chasers and solid under the high ball. Though I doubt their attacking ability will put any fear in to the opposition.

Go back and look at some the Corey Jane clips on youtube as an AB. He's scored and set-up some sensational tries with his attacking ability. Admittedly he's been pretty quiet in Super Rugby but the Hurricanes were hardly Bruce Lee on attack this year.

Quote from Stuff (above)

Very good this.

The law crackdown has marginalised fetchers who, through the conventions of referees in the last 2 or 3 decades, but more noticeably since the professional era started, were allowed to act in contravention to the laws of the game.

It was always illegal to do anything else other than release the player one tackled, but more and more players were allowed to hold onto them and even used them as leverage to get themselves up. Their hands on the tackled player were at the centre of a circle and by holding onto them the body of the tackler was helped up by centrifugal force.

After two Super season of puzzled looks forwards are realising what the theorists were saying when the crackdown was first mooted: counter-rucking would be the new way to go. Yours truly said "New way my arse, that's how it used to be 40 years ago when tacklers had to release the tackled player and the law hasn't changed, just the compliance."

The thing I didn't count on was defending forwards evolving into space takers. Nothing wrong with driving past the ball if opponents allow it, that's another old one I had forgotten about. When I was a young bloke we were told to step over the ball on arriving (you weren't even allowed to pick up tackled ball in those days) and drive trusting that others would be behind us, but what they do now is stay around loitering on the wrong side of the ruck.

Just goes to show that you have to match what the other mob is doing on your ball unless the quality is good and you can get rid of it early and catch them short elsewhere.

The thing I fear is that other untoward conventions will be established in place of the acquiescence of holding onto the tackled player.

What will be the new ruck virus that is allowed to cause infections in our game? Watch this space.

I wondered how long it would be before someone picked that up in the stuff.co.nz article :)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Team: Patrick Lambie, Bjorn Basson, Adi Jacobs, Juan de Jongh, Lwazi Mvovo, Morne Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, Danie Roussow, Jean Deysel, Deon Stegmann, Alistair Hargreaves, Gerhard Mostert, Werner Kruger, John Smit (captain), Dean Greyling.

Reserves: Chiliboy Ralepelle, CJ van der Linde, Ryan Kankowski, Ashley Johnson, Charl McLeod, Wynand Olivier, Odwa Ndungane.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

No 'Cory Jane' available for selection in Fantasy team tipping....???!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.