• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC 2016: Matches not involving Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
South Africa are making a habit of coming from behind to win this year. Left this one late.

It's stupid shit from hernandez like getting tripped trying to chip kick at your 22 that loses games like this. That's why they're only mecurial, not class.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Wow. Great try from Argentina, mecurial.

Why aren't the Boks playing Lions rugby? Looks like the same old.

So another false dawn, then? Another Bokke coach who picks the in-form players to please the fans & media, then has them play the same old crap footy from 2007-09? What's the point in that?

Reactions: mst

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Not even going to talk about individual player issues.

Coach is stuck in 2007 and not way in hell he is going to budge until he gets fired or leaves.

Dumb dumb dumb rugby. No imagination. Same ole shite. Individual moments is all that wins it. Not structure, Not planning.

Right now the AB's play a different sport.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some very mediocre performances from the Boks so far this year. Apart from the elephant in the room the succession planning on our shores really suck.

We tend to take a year or so to find our best combinations, then stick with the best of them for the next 5-10 years and then recycle, without much consideration for the future. It has a lot to do with the pressure our Springbok coaches face and all of the elephants in the many smaller yet significant rooms.

I have only read the 3 pages or so available from the look-in on Amazon for the book The Poisoned Chalice: The rise and fall of the post-isolation Springbok coaches but those pages alone gave me a detailed glimpse into the pressures we laymen do not understand which is unique to the South African game. I really think the Kiwis will find the read interesting even for those short few pages that are available freely.

Australia have their own domestic problems in promoting Rugby Union and the problem is simple, not enough money due to rival sporting codes.
Every rugby supporter is aware of this and respects it. I'm just not sure everyone understands fully the trench warfare going on behind the scenes in South African rugby hence my reference to the title.

Now if we took the above into consideration, which unfortunately also includes a receding economy with 0% growth this year at best it seems and a likely downgrade to junk status by the rating agencies and the lure of overseas currency; let's dub it the financial elephant - then you can clearly understand that those still involved in rugby and not those involved for the benefit of the mother elephant are trying their best with what they have.

We had a very raw (bar Habana) back-three, an inexperienced midfield, and we seemingly still have not found balance in our loose-trio. Our front row has been doing OK, there have been some new and unseasoned campaigners there this season as well.
We had two back line players with more than 10 caps in the starting lineup of which de Allende is one at 17.

I suspect South African rugby is slowly finding itself in a similar position that perhaps Wales have had to endure in the past although I am only speculating. We may be receding permanently this time and I fear it may be very swift due to the climes this country finds itself in.
Naas said in studio he doesn't care over this or that, but that South Africa should be able to see Argentina as a good test, but we certainly should not be wondering whether we will be on the winning side and it's despicable that we do when playing at home. I agree with him, but times are changing.

I would not be surprised judging by their passion if they were to take the Boks' place in world rugby in time.

For now, despite all of the great elephants I will adopt a typical South African viewpoint in that if you can't get around them go through them.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The irony of the last test is that although everyone bangs on about quotas, they had little or no effect on this test.

Guys like Jantjes Mapoe genuinely deserved a shot but they don't look up to test standard.

Poor selections and what looks like substandard planning and coaching did.

Jantjes dopes not seem top have a license to play his natural game. He was indecisive as a result and made mistakes.

This is a thick wall. You'll crack your skull and not get through.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I actually think Mapoe has just been unlucky. In the first 3 tests he hardly got the ball and when he did it was not front-foot ball. He would look a helluva lot better with van Rensburg on his inside I reckon.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Argentina v South Africa: 05:40 Sunday AEST

Ref: Jackson
AR's: Garces & O'Keefe
TMO: Ayoub

Opta Facts:

* Argentina have won two of their four games at Padre Ernesto Martearena Stadium (L2), however both defeats have come in their most recent two games there including a 31-33 defeat against the Springboks in 2014.
* South Africa are yet to lose away to Argentina having won 10 and drawn one of their 11 trips to face the Pumas, despite trailing at half-time in three of the last five such fixtures.
* South Africa won their last away game – against Argentina – however they had lost five of their seven away Tests before that.
* Argentina have lost their last two games, they've not lost three games in a row since 2014 when they lost eight on the trot.
* Argentina lost their last home game 27-0 against France, the first time they had failed to score a single point in a home game since 1952 (v Ireland XV) and the first time at any venue since 2000 (v England).
* South Africa need only two more for their 100th try scored against Argentina, against only three other nations (Australia, New Zealand, Wales) have they managed to hit triple-digits.
* Argentina's next drop goal will be their 100th; seven other nations have hit a century of drops so far, with South Africa just ahead of them on 102.
* Argentina have won only once against South Africa, only against New Zealand (0) have they won fewer games amongst teams they’ve faced at least 10 times.
* Santiago Cordero added a seventh try to his Test tally in the opening round of the tournament; every one of his Test tries has been scored outside of Argentina.
* Bryan Habana has played 13 games against the Pumas, scoring seven tries in the process, more than any other South African player in both categories.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
South Africa: 15 Johan Goosen, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Elton Jantjies, Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Teboho Mohoje, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Adriaan Strauss (c), 1 Tendai Mtawarira. Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Jaco Kriel, 21 Rudy Paige, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Jesse Kriel

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Argentina: 15 Joaquín Tuculet, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Matías Orlando, 12 Juan Martín Hernández, 11 Manuel Montero, 10 Nicolás Sánchez, 9 Martín Landajo, 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Juan Manuel Leguizamón, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Tomás Lavanini, 4 Matías Alemanno, 3 Ramiro Herrera, 2 Agustín Creevy (c), 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro. Replacements: 16 Julian Montoya, 17 Felipe Arregui, 18 Enrique Pieretto, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Javier Ortega Desio, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, 23 Lucas González Amorosino

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Jerome Garces is doing a good job of talking about the scrum but doesn't fix the fucking problem.

When the front rows are too far apart they will collapse 95% of the time. He puts a mark in the ground, the Sa hooker puts his foot next to it, then when everyone else packs he moves back a foot. He then incorrectly free kicks against Argentina because they HAVE to push on engage just to REACH the Sa front row.

This happens ALL THE TIME!

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Late tackle by 3. Just a penalty, never a yellow.

Soo many soft decisions these days.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Good game of rugby so far, a nice try. SA does too much of the one out runner, doesn't matter how fast or big they run it's easy pickings. Need to make the most of the inevitable opportunities Arg will give up. Can Argentina learn to close a game out?

Status
Not open for further replies.