• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Why do you say Folau is potentially the best in the world as a winger? I'm interested in what you see in this as his defence has been nothing startling, he hasn't shown really high levels of speed, his kicking is ordinary - what he does have is the ability to break tackles no question but he seems to lack urgency around the field, getting back into position etc. Clearly he is a great athlete and I am not suggesting there are necessarily better wingers in Australian rugby at the moment but as you say he needs gametime in the position to show whether he has what it takes. I've found his play quite disappointing of late and I am not a Tahs hater, I like to see all the top players performing well, regardless of the team they play for.

Because basically you just described Julian Savea's game. Folau is a similar size, speed with a lower work rate but superior footwork and ability in the air. He is quite simply the most gifted finisher Australia has seen in either code.

He should wear 14, and cover 15 in the same way that Dagg or Ben Smith often do at AB level. Unlikely to happen however. Australian rugby seems to have this idea of "introducing" guys on the wing or "promoting them" from the wing to other positions.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Robertson doesn't deserve a jersey. He has been pretty average at set piece and pretty poor around the park.

Would even prefer Daley but there are better options out there including Cowan and Smith

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Robertson doesn't deserve a jersey. He has been pretty average at set piece and pretty poor around the park.

Would even prefer Daley but there are better options out there including Cowan and Smith

Robertson has a massive case of the second season syndrome.

No Waratah should be anywhere near a test jersey save Foley and Hooper.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Kepu and Ala'alatoa still the outstanding THP, Latu to be one of 3 hookers and Robertson will be the 2nd LHP, now almost guaranteed with Slipper out. Look for Cowan/Faulkner/Ryan/Lomax to take the 5th spot, with Thor hanging out in camp.

Mumm and Skelton both ordinary again, and both leaving, so neither should be picked. Especially for the incoming series against ' weaker ' opposition, great opportunity if needed to blood new players. Back Coleman, Arnold, Simmons and Douglas/Carter, with the opportunity for a guy like Rodda to hang out in camp also.

Holloway has very sadly dissapointed in his return (which devastates me) and only Hooper will make the Wallaby backrow 6. Hanigan might get a hang out at camp invite

Phipps to be one of 3 Halves, with Gorden getting an invite as Genia won't be playing all 3.

Foley and Folau the only other backs in the squad. With Beale, Hodge, TK, Kerevi (centers) and Naivalu, Folau, Speight, Hunt (OB) - no room for Horne in my 32 man squad (unless they pick 33....), needing to carry a 3rd winger especially with DHP potentially out.

(I think cheika will invite a few development players to camp just like he did last tour, but just a lot cheaper to have them at a local camp)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Mumm and Skelton both ordinary again, and both leaving, so neither should be picked. Especially for the incoming series against ' weaker ' opposition, great opportunity if needed to blood new players. Back Coleman, Arnold, Simmons and Douglas/Carter, with the opportunity for a guy like Rodda to hang out in camp also.

Holloway has very sadly dissapointed in his return (which devastates me) and only Hooper will make the Wallaby backrow 6. Hanigan might get a hang out at camp invite

Agree entirely about taking an opportunity to blood new players. Results won't matter as much as player development.

I really think Holloway is still taking time to regain full match fitness after his injury. I would still include him as one of the development players to be blooded.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I really think Holloway is still taking time to regain full match fitness after his injury. I would still include him as one of the development players to be blooded.

IT's not surprising he's taking time to get back into it - he was off from about June last year. I'd like to see him do a bit more, but that's life. I'd also like to see him come in as a development player - he has some potential

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I was thinking really young people, but yeh I am a big Holloway fan. Has fantastic dimensions for a classic no.6 - fardyesque, but great mobility around the field and strength in contact but not a breakdown man like fardy (how many 6ft5 guys are...)

Originally I wanted to see Timani, Higs, Fardy, Holloway, Hoops and Mcmahon but don't think that will happen.

Assumed Mccalman would come in to push out holloway but he's still double parked on struggle street but I just hope they don't give it to Mumm. Can see Hanigan and Naisarani get given development invites (I think this concept is a good idea) but in terms of the 6 backrow spots in the 32 man squad? picking the 6th guy is hard.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
All good picks UTRs. Well past time for Mumm to be discarded, and as he's off o/s at the end of the season I think the message might now get through Cheika's skull as well. Could also say that Fardy is uncertain as he's also off o/s, but at least with him you get quality on the field.

Two other contenders for development spots might be RHP (better back rower than lock) and Jordan Smiler who was cutting it up at No 8 before his hammy injury. With Smiler, you get Fardy Mk II.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting if true.........

RISING star Tyrel Lomax has a huge decision to make.

We can reveal that the Melbourne Rebels prop, son of former Kiwis league enforcer John Lomax, has been contacted by the All Blacks to play in New Zealand with a view to turning him into a Test front-rower.

But Lomax was also a bolter for Michael Cheika’s Wallabies camp earlier this month.

The 20-year-old is still eligible for both countries because he has not played for Australia’s secondary senior side, the Wallabies Barbarians who last played against the French Barbarians last November./quote]

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/72bd0e4cddc2213cb317ac0a2521acd8

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paddy Ryan had a good season for the Tahs at LHP last year. I thought it was his best year of Super Rugby and the move to LHP certainly benefited him.

He certainly hasn't gone well this season. Hopefully he finds some of that 2016 form soon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paddy is OK

People need to be looking at Tom R with some honesty.

He has definitely gone backwards this year (the common second year syndrome).

His play in the loose hasn't been as effective and his scrummaging has regressed.

I think he'll be part of the Wallaby equation due to injuries in June but would be down the pecking order compared to last year if that wasn't the case.