• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TBH, I have Beale on the bench for impact with 30 to go. Given that, it was either TK or Kerevi for 13, with the other missing out altogether (I also am keen to have Sefa come on late and do to a tired defence what he did to the Brumbies on Saturday), I went with TK for his better defence, but could easily have gone with Kerevi.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think Kerevi strengths will be outweighed by his weakness. Cheika puts defence down to attitude, he doesn't necessarily IMO put much weight in defensive/tackling in his selections. He should be more worried about how Gray is going as Coach and seriously consider looking around at other options perhaps in the West.

Also, seems that earlier reports is that Beale isn't coming back to be a bench impact player, if he is available for June (assume it falls within official world rugby test window) then Beale will start @ 12 where he is playing the bulk of his euro rugby alongside Foley. And Genia.

This is my vision of what Cheika would regard as his ' A team' but expect to see this rarely used against what is a weaker June series that allows the squad to test combination and challenge each other for the 'A' team in the Rugby Championship

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Arnold
6. Fardy 8.Timani 7.Hoops
9. Genia 10. Foley 12. Beale 13.Kerevi
11. Speight 15. Folau 14. DHP
16. TPN 17. Robertson 18. Ala'alatoa 19.Simmons 20. Higs 21. Phipps 22. Quade 23. Horne/Naivalu

I'm more interested in the makeup in the rest of teh squad, where will Dempsey, Mumm, Carter, Douglas, Skelton, Mccalman fit it? who miss out? Will he just let Skelton sit on the side as he is leaving? Will Douglas be able to prove he should be around the squad? Will Cheika give up his love affair with Mumm? Exciting days ahead.

(Cheika not willing to give up simmons set piece and mcmahon to get a run in the 2nd or 3rd june test off the bench as still a bit wrecked)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Wouldn't have Kerevi in the team. Skills level is so poor. Plenty of other and better options out there.

I would start Beale at 12 or 15. He is so unpredictable and a genuine game breaker. I like him at 12 and DHP at 15

Plenty of good wingers so Folau should ride the pine or worse.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh not saying that's the team I would pick, but the team I think Cheika will pick. Jeez how often do our 9 10 12 even defend at 9 10 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also, seems that earlier reports is that Beale isn't coming back to be a bench impact player, if he is available for June (assume it falls within official world rugby test window) then Beale will start @ 12 where he is playing the bulk of his euro rugby alongside Foley. And Genia.

Beale's most recent game was at 12 but I reckon he'd be close to playing more games at 15 for Wasps than 12.

I'd pick him at 15. His form has been fantastic.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I honestly think that Hunt would be the best option at 12 currently- his defense is on par with Horne's but attack is obviously stronger. It was at 12 where he impressed as a schoolboy too.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
This is a repost but I wouldn't mind some commentary:
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Folau
14. ?
15. DHP

Could even move DHP to wing, Karmichael to fullback and Beale at 12, with Hunt defending at 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is a repost but I wouldn't mind some commentary:
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Folau
14. ?
15. DHP

Could even move DHP to wing, Karmichael to fullback and Beale at 12, with Hunt defending at 12.

Hunt seems far more likely to get picked at 15 than 12. His form has been great but do we really want to pick him somewhere he has barely played?

Folau's form has been very patchy this year. I don't think he is ideally suited to 13 particularly when it's one of our stronger positions with Kuridrani and Kerevi both good options.

DHP and Speight should both be in the starting back 3 on form.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I think if the Waratahs had a strong 15, then Folau would be playing 13 and its also the position he wants to play. Defensively he's underrated and watching him he also does a lot of good things at 13 that don't get noticed like running an incisive unders line in an 'OI' move.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Hunt seems far more likely to get picked at 15 than 12. His form has been great but do we really want to pick him somewhere he has barely played?

Folau's form has been very patchy this year. I don't think he is ideally suited to 13 particularly when it's one of our stronger positions with Kuridrani and Kerevi both good options.

DHP and Speight should both be in the starting back 3 on form.

The more I think about it, Hunt should be selected at 15 but defend at 12 like he's doing at the Reds currently- he's bsaically a Horne- improvement

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think if the Waratahs had a strong 15, then Folau would be playing 13 and its also the position he wants to play. Defensively he's underrated and watching him he also does a lot of good things at 13 that don't get noticed like running an incisive unders line in an 'OI' move.

He has played 13 every game bar one this season.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
9 Genia
10 Foley
11 Hunt
12 Beale
13 Kurindrani
14 DHP
15 Folau

Numbers on the back don't matter too much. But that gives you a couple of kicking options and lots of attack. Hunt given a roaming commission to enter the backline if Foley or Beale are elsewhere.

In defence
Beale, Hunt, Kurindrani in the line
Foley and DHP back on either side out of harms (and hard runners) way
Folau at FB for his bomb de-fusion skills

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm still on the Reece Hodge bandwagon. Good defence, very good kicking game, good attacking instincts. He developed well last year and I'd hope to see him continue this year.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Genia, Foley, Naivalu, Beale, Hodge, Folau, DHP (can swap the last 2 if need be).

RES: Powell, Hunt, Kuridrani (Hodge to cover wing).

Squad extras: Speight, Kerevi, Quade, Gordon.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
9 Genia
10 Foley
11 Hunt
12 Beale
13 Kurindrani
14 DHP
15 Folau

Numbers on the back don't matter too much. But that gives you a couple of kicking options and lots of attack. Hunt given a roaming commission to enter the backline if Foley or Beale are elsewhere.

In defence
Beale, Hunt, Kurindrani in the line
Foley and DHP back on either side out of harms (and hard runners) way
Folau at FB for his bomb de-fusion skills

I don't really buy into the whole 'numbers don't matter thing'. Switch Folau and Hunt in both numbers and effective position. Otherwise decent, although for the June tests i suspect something less conventional/not necessarily the A team.

It would be nice to see how slightly less fancied players fair, such as Powell, Gordon, Peni, Nabuli or in the forwards Alcock, Haylett Petty, etc.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. McMahon/Timani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Folau
12. Beale
13. Kerevi
14. Speight
15. DHP

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kerevi will be there. He just makes too many yards to be ignored.
The question is where will Beale fit in? Then you have Hodge and Hunt competing for a squad spot.
Tough choices to be made.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I've been on the 2Ks bandwagon for at least two years, so I have to remain consistent :

Genia, Foley, DHP, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Speight, Folau. Kerevi's defense is now my largest worry. He has been missing tackles in droves this year. I would not object to Hodge taking Kerevi's spot at 12 if his defense doesn't improve before the tests.

Res - Powell (on form or Gordon on potential), Beale, Hunt.