• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Potential Wallabies 23:

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham
9. ??? Genia/Gordon/Powell/Phipps
10. Foley/Lance
11. Folau
12. Meakes
13. Kerevi/Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Beale

16. Latu
17. Ala'alatoa
18. Robertson
19. Carter
20. Timani
21. Gordon/Powell/Phipps
22. Hodge
23. Haylett-Petty

I think the best two hookers going round atm are TPN and Latu. I wouldn't be at all fazed if Squeaky missed out, though it is very likely Cheika will play him in the early tests.

There are a few No 8 options now available imo. Higgers, Timani and Holloway. I don't think Smiler is a chance of selection, but He's also been putting in big games for the Brumbies at No 8 this year. Depending on the game plan, I thinkit will be one of Higgers or Timani at 8. Given how Higgers is playing at the Reds, I'd certainly be considering him as an 8 rather than a 6 this year.

Ryan Louwrens should be added to the list of potential No 9s. On form this year, the pecking order would be Powell, Louwrens, Gordon, Lucas, nobody (not one J Eales).

I think DHP must also be in the starting side. Incumbent in good form. Would be considered for either No 15 or No 11, in competition with Folau and Hunt. DHP might also one day be able to convert to No 10? A la Larkham?

Decision between Kerevi and Kuridrani is a tough one. I remain of the view that Kerevi could handle 12 in combination with Kuridrani at 13. Both are in hot form this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the best two hookers going round atm are TPN and Latu. I wouldn't be at all fazed if Squeaky missed out, though it is very likely Cheika will play him in the early tests.

I agree TPN and Latu are the form two players. It would be a big call to end his captaincy though.

If you dropped Moore as captain, who is the next option? Hooper or Genia are the only two who could really be in the running in my opinion.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
We do seem to be very short on leaders who are capable of holding down a test spot, but either Hooper or Genia would be an improvement on an out of form Moore who is also not one of the top two hookers on form.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Higgers at 8 with his back of the scrum skills and speed off the back with Timani at 6 if he can get back to where he was last year. Both Hooper and Higgers carry the ball and play a little wider at times. We need a 6 who will get stuck in at the breakdown, in defense and just work all day long. Fardy is disruptive at the breakdown but I would guess that Higgers stats there are pretty similar this year and he seems to always come up with the steal when the Reds line is under pressure.
I do rate Fardy highly but see no point in playing him this year with an eye towards the future.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Timani
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. DHP
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Ala'alatoa
18. Robertson
21. Gordon
22. Lance
23. Hodge

T

TOCC

Swap DHP to 15 and Folau to 11

Waratahs keep moving Folau so as it stands, DHP is the in-form fullback and offers attributes like kicking, that Folau doesn't have

I also don't see any benefit to Lance on the bench if you have both Beale and Foley starting, I'd probably prefer someone to cover the outside backs like Hunt, or a new player like Chance Peni.

As for the front row, once the derby rounds start we should get a clearer picture, but wouldn't be surprised to see Talakai included in 23.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is your pack going forward over the advantage line?

Yes? Then any of the halfbacks mentioned will do.

No? Go back and start over.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is your pack going forward over the advantage line?

Yes? Then any of the halfbacks mentioned will do.

No? Go back and start over.

1. No

2. Still matters. Have you seen how poorly the Aus halfbacks are going? Two of last years Wallaby first choices have been dropped.

3. Hard to see any pack we select consistently on top. So the other positons matter more. Not saying you are wrong. Things are definitely easier on the front foot. That just looks unlikely to happen so we need to look at other options to get on top.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Timani
7. Hooper
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. DHP
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Ala'alatoa
18. Robertson
21. Gordon
22. Lance
23. Hodge

No room for Kerevi FP?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No room for Kerevi FP?

I would prefer Beale at 12 (we need the spark), so no, Kuridrani is the better defender.

Kerevi & Beale in the centres would be a nightmare defensively, one is a weak tackler and the other a weak defender

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would prefer Beale at 12 (we need the spark), so no, Kuridrani is the better defender.

Kerevi & Beale in the centres would be a nightmare defensively, one is a weak tackler and the other a weak defender

If Beale plays center, they name a winger for the explicit purpose of switching with him in D. This was Speight and Naivalu's role in the latter stages of the Rugby Championship, and on the tour last year.

That being said, I don't know how you do that with both Foley and Beale, which is why I think Beale gets named in the back 3.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. DHP
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Looks the goods with ball in hand but the ABs running at that backline makes me nervous.

BAck to last years problem where one of Foley, DHP, Beale or Folau would have to defend in the line, and ideally none of them would.

edit - beaten by Amirite!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Looks the goods with ball in hand but the ABs running at that backline makes me nervous.

BAck to last years problem where one of Foley, DHP, Beale or Folau would have to defend in the line, and ideally none of them would.

edit - beaten by Amirite!

We aren't going to get close to the AB's unless we have an attacking unit that can score more than 25 points a match regularily

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
We aren't going to get close to the AB's unless we have an attacking unit that can score more than 25 points a match regularily

We can have both, they just need separate roles on attack and D. Most professional teams do this anyway.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Did nobody notice how poor the Tahs' defense was last weekend with its reliance on shifting poor defenders in defense? Gibson surely did and was very critical of his team's defensive efforts as I recall. Beale then comes off the bench later in the game while-ever we have a suspect defender at 10 (and aren't they all atm?).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Did nobody notice how poor the Tahs' defense was last weekend with its reliance on shifting poor defenders in defense? Gibson surely did and was very critical of his team's defensive efforts as I recall. Beale then comes off the bench later in the game while-ever we have a suspect defender at 10 (and aren't they all atm?).

It was poor when they lost structure, couple of offloads and they were all over the shop, but only Folau in that set of backs is a reasonable chance of getting a Wobs games.

T

TOCC

Best offence is a good defence, you can't win if you're conceding 40 points

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
1. No

2. Still matters. Have you seen how poorly the Aus halfbacks are going? Two of last years Wallaby first choices have been dropped.

3. Hard to see any pack we select consistently on top. So the other positons matter more. Not saying you are wrong. Things are definitely easier on the front foot. That just looks unlikely to happen so we need to look at other options to get on top.
If you aren't going forward it's extremely tough to get any ascendancy and you probably never will in a game.

You may be able to win if you're not too far off but you will need exceptional tactical kicking and a good lineout with aggressively quick attack from those lineouts and a good goal-kicker.

You could have A. Smith, F. du Preez, W. Genia or G. Gregan behind the Rebals pack and they would all struggle. The pack is big enough so it's attitude that's lacking.