• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Best offence is a good defence, you can't win if you're conceding 40 points

Why can't we have both? Frustrating that our players can't seem to do both well at the same time. It's either a strong defensive gameplan or attack and concede.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The layperson would assume that it is essential to start with a good defensive system, and with all players' tackling techniques tuned right up.

Attack cannot happen unless the defence is solid and aggressive. For starters, without a good defence, how on earth can a side get enough ball to attack with?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale's defence is nowhere near as bad as it was a few years ago.

I would still put him at fullback though at test level. It's his best position and he has been excelling there for Wasps.

Folau, Speight and DHP would fight it out for the wing positions. I'd certainly pick DHP as one of those wingers because I think we are better served with two good kickers in the back three.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bored at work, so I thought I'd have a crack at my Wallabies 23 thus far this season:

1. Kepu
2. Latu
3. Sio
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. McMahon
7. Hooper (c)
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. DHP
12. Beale
13. Kerevi
14. Folau
15. Hunt

16. Slipper
17. Polota-Nau
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Simmons
20. Higgenbotham
21. Gordon
22. Hodge
23. Kuridrani

Squad members and Possibles:
1,3: Robertson, Smith
2: Moore, Ready
4,5: Douglas, Rodda, Phillip
6: RHP, Korzyck, Fardy
8: Holloway
9: Powell, Louwrens (if fit)
10: Cooper, Lance
11,14: Speight, Naivalu, Peni
12: Meakes, Paia'aua
13: Kuridrani, Rona
15: Covered extensively within the squad (Hunt, Folau, Beale, Foley, DHP, Hodge)

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
"Skelton move tests giteau law" in the australian......I really don't think so. Neither Gill or Tomanes absence has tested it, and they would be verrrry useful this year. Hope skelton comes back better, but he wasn't one of my Top 4 locks in a 32man squad. My pick for upcoming test series (hoping beale and genia available, whilst all else return from injury barring Louwrens and I don't want to pick players who are leaving this year, however I'm devastated Holloway hasn't come back in form coz i really didn't feel like including Fardy

Hooker - Moore Tpn Latu
Prop - Slipper, Robertson, Kepu, Ala'alatoa, Sio
Lock - Simmons, Coleman, Arnold, Douglas
Backrow - Higs, Fardy, Timani, Mccalman, Mcmahon, Hooper
HB - Genia, Phipps, Powell
Flyhalf - Foley, Quade
Centre - Hodge, Beale, Kerevi, TK, Horne
Outside - DHP, Folau, Speight, Naivalu

I'd expect to see a couple other guys get a chance in the wider squad when people leave/ arn't available....eg..Rona for Horne, Koroibete MAYBE, Lance and/or Godwin for Beale, Louwrens for Genia (when he recovers), RHP for Fardy.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
thought as much..just think that a couple articles have g'd it up a bit..another wallaby star, testing giteau law..making it seem as though pocock was leaving all over again!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hooker - Moore Tpn Latu
Prop - Slipper, Robertson, Kepu, Ala'alatoa, Sio
Lock - Simmons, Coleman, Arnold, Douglas
Backrow - Higs, Fardy, Timani, Mccalman, Mcmahon, Hooper
HB - Genia, Phipps, Powell
Flyhalf - Foley, Quade
Centre - Hodge, Beale, Kerevi, TK, Horne
Outside - DHP, Folau, Speight, Naivalu

I'd expect to see a couple other guys get a chance in the wider squad when people leave/ arn't available..eg..Rona for Horne, Koroibete MAYBE, Lance and/or Godwin for Beale, Louwrens for Genia (when he recovers), RHP for Fardy.

UTR, that's close to what I'd expect too. Though, I am not (and have never been) a fan of Ben McCalman at test level - in fact, I believe he will be lucky to hold down a long term starting spot with the Force with RHP, Hodgson, Koteka, Hardwick, Stander all available.

I would also now give Rob Horne the flick as well. His form for the Tahs and the Wallabies has not been good for a couple of years. And he has gone a long way backwards in his strength area being defense/tackling. Misses too many tackles these days.

The other two fringe squad members I don't think are up to the required standard are Godwin and Koriobete. Very good to see almost nobody still pushing the claims of Dean Mumm.

T

TOCC

Connecting the dots from Iain Payten.

I read that quote and I must be missing a dot...
Is he suggesting the ARU wasn't willing to trump the offer from Europe or that he wasn't offered a contract at all, could be either..

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
UTR, that's close to what I'd expect too. Though, I am not (and have never been) a fan of Ben McCalman at test level - in fact, I believe he will be lucky to hold down a long term starting spot with the Force with RHP, Hodgson, Koteka, Hardwick, Stander all available.

I would also now give Rob Horne the flick as well. His form for the Tahs and the Wallabies has not been good for a couple of years. And he has gone a long way backwards in his strength area being defense/tackling. Misses too many tackles these days.

The other two fringe squad members I don't think are up to the required standard are Godwin and Koriobete. Very good to see almost nobody still pushing the claims of Dean Mumm.

Just thinking of another ball playing centre. Godwin has been in there recently as well, BUT with both Beale and Hodge available, and Lance as a 3rd string 10, probs not required. I would like to see Horne move over but I know Cheika is a fan. I'd rather see Meakes and Rona come in to a squad environment, Peni also perhaps and I'll never write big Naiyaravoro off.

I'm not a huge Mccalman fan, and would happily leave him out with Fardy and Mumm but think that just leaves us a bit short for right NOW. Dempsey is another Mcmahon, and by saying that I mean we don't need another medium weight, medium height bench player. RHP I think...RHP has got the size, aggression and young enough to take over from Fardy

Naivalu and Koroibete just struggling at the Rebels...Koroibete reminds me of Nabuli last year in that he has no idea where to be and what to do and noone helping him.

I really wanna see

4. Coleman 5. Arnold
6. Higs 8. Timani 7. Hoops

I think that is a real impact team, with Mcmahon at 20 and most likely (urh) Simmons at 19. A little light on at ' on the ball players' but a huge amount of size and enforcers and speed mixed in that it shouldn't matter having a pilferer when you can consistently dominate the collision zone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think a lock/backrow combo of:

Coleman
Arnold
Timani
Higgers
Hoppers

Would provide about the best balanced backrow/lock combo of recent years..

I'm calling it HATCH

And then in the second half you bring on McMahon for Higgers and Simmons for Coleman. It's just basic MATHS.

Arnold has to play 80 minutes because we need a vowel.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
4. Coleman 5. Arnold
6. Higs 8. Timani 7. Hoops

I think that is a real impact team, with Mcmahon at 20 and most likely (urh) Simmons at 19. A little light on at ' on the ball players' but a huge amount of size and enforcers and speed mixed in that it shouldn't matter having a pilferer when you can consistently dominate the collision zone.

Latu, who must be close to starting ahead of Moore, can pilfer like a 7 anyway. Lads centre of gravity is about 2 inches off the ground.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You could bank on TPN, Latu and Moore being the three hookers in the Wallaby squad.

It will be a huge decision to drop Moore as captain though heading into the first test of the season. I can't see it happening just yet personally.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
You could bank on TPN, Latu and Moore being the three hookers in the Wallaby squad.

It will be a huge decision to drop Moore as captain though heading into the first test of the season. I can't see it happening just yet personally.

Has to happen sometime, he can't still be captain come 2019. A new captain should be arranged sooner rather than later.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has to happen sometime, he can't still be captain come 2019. A new captain should be arranged sooner rather than later.

Sure, but it's not that simple.

Appointing someone as the Wallaby captain is a pretty big step as is deciding that someone's time is done.

If it is clear as day that Moore shouldn't be in the top 2 choices then it will probably happen. If it is a much of a muchness and the relative form on the options varies from match to match you can pretty much guarantee he'll remain captain at the start of the season.

It's not like there is a clearly outstanding option for the next Wallaby captain after Moore. Hooper is the most likely candidate but he clearly has his shortcomings in terms of captaincy as well. Genia is probably the other option but he hasn't got a lot of captaincy experience.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sure, but it's not that simple.

Appointing someone as the Wallaby captain is a pretty big step as is deciding that someone's time is done.

If it is clear as day that Moore shouldn't be in the top 2 choices then it will probably happen. If it is a much of a muchness and the relative form on the options varies from match to match you can pretty much guarantee he'll remain captain at the start of the season.

It's not like there is a clearly outstanding option for the next Wallaby captain after Moore. Hooper is the most likely candidate but he clearly has his shortcomings in terms of captaincy as well. Genia is probably the other option but he hasn't got a lot of captaincy experience.

What are Hooper's clear shortcomings? I think he is the obvious choice, immediately IMO.