• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's a reason Scott Allen left here and began writing for the Roar. This post is precisely it.

I think you'll find it was because he was offered payment to write for The Roar.

Anyway, I like Scott, have enjoyed many of his articles and don't begrudge him taking payment for what he writes.

Glad to know you dislike my posts. Must mean I'm on the right track.

T

Tip

Read again Braveheart! I wasn't including you in that mob.

I was actually apologizing for not calling you a "prolific poster".

(I'd never, ever, ever dare to accuse you of failing to discuss relevant points of discussion on a discussion board. Your responses are always measured, relevant, well-reasoned and fostering of debate.)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I will not have you criticise the world's greatest, fairest and most unbiased commentator, Spiro Zavos, on this forum. It just cannot be. ;)

Funny post really.

There is plenty of competition for that brass ring with some of the Posters on GAGR. May not win but we'd have several in the top 10.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm a Wallabies supporter.

I will read articles about the Wallabies. No I don't read Spiro, or Lordy, because I don't feed the trolls.

There's a reason Scotty left here and began writing for the Roar. This post is precisely it.

Instead of debating the merits of a well thought out argument, one of the most experienced posters on this forum replies THIS.

Completely ignoring that the article was written by a former Assistant coach of England.

Slim, petty points scoring is petty. Ditto to you Cyclopath. QED doesn't apply because the editors set the title, not Nick. If you made the effort to glance at that page you would see Nick highlighting that the Editors changed his preferred title for clickbait (however, the title is still very much accurate)

One would expect G&GR's most prolific posters, (Sorry Braveheart) to be more balanced, reasonable and maybe, just maybe, contribute to the discussion points on a discussion board.

Yeah nah, won't hold my breath. Scott Allen jumped ship for this exact reason. It's a shame when your biggest contributors to this forum are also the biggest anchors.

Actually, QED does apply since I had just made the point that expert opinion differs widely on the performance of various players, highlighting that inherent bias is hard to avoid. You favour his opinion because it aligns most closely with yours. I fall more in the middle - I don't think Foley, for example, is shit nor great. Your subsequent post dismissing Brian Smith as attention seeking hardly invites discussion since your position is quite clear. And it confirmed my point.
Thanks for your appraisal though.
And I am well aware as to why Scott Allen went to the Roar, and you're guessing.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you post one short silly post, and one long insightful post, the short post doesn't take away from the quality of the long post.

Sidebar - I used to like Allen's stuff and I checked his Roar profile and it's only got one recent post. Where can I find more? On the Roar youtube?

T

Tip

And I am well aware as to why Scott Allen went to the Roar, and you're guessing.

No, you're not. And no, I'm not guessing.

Because you've already stated that you don't read the Roar, you're obviously not familiar with his very own justification as to why he wasn't going to write for G&GR anymore.

So yeah, I'm not guessing. I'm repeating it straight from the horses mouth.

It's dangerous to consume your gossip & news from one website, especially if that well becomes polluted. A similar reason was given by Mr Allen on the Roar as to his absense on G&GR. (difference in opinion with editor)

So yeah, Cyclopath. You are the one that's guessing. I'm citing the man himself.

It's clear that you're obviously not as well aware as you'd like to think. For that, you have my sympathy

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I strongly suggest that those on these pages that disagree with my assessment of Foley to head over to the Roar and read Nick Bishops piece on the Tah halves.

FYI, Bishop is a former technical/ (one of their many) assistant coach of England.

mmm

Confirmation bias.

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, [Note 1] is the tendencyto search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities.

T

Tip

So anyone that has ever provided a reference to back up their point is guilty of Confirmation Bias?

Yeah, nah. That's atrocious. Try harder next time, Fatprop

Once again one of the most experienced posters on this website is playing the ball, not the man.

Thankyou for reinforcing my points highlighted above!

T

Train Without a Station

Is that like you repeating that Foley was "excellent" against the All Blacks?

Reactions: Tip
T

Tip

Nah Fatprop, instead of engaging in debate, you merely dismissed an entire article as "confirmation bias"

Which reinforces my point before about the biggest contributors often being the biggest anchors in this forum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
tina-fey-amy-poehler-popcorn-golden-globes-2014.gif

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Didn't Foley become the incumbent #10 through the WC due to Quade getting too many yellow cards.
Foley then did a great job through to the end of the tournament.
There after Quade has either been trying 7's playing in France or injured.
As coach I think MC has shown extreme patience with QC (Quade Cooper).
Reality is that both Foley and QC (Quade Cooper) are warming the jersey until the next big thing comes along. Both have flaws in their game and neither seem to be able to own the position.
It will be interesting next year when the Reds roll out 10. QC (Quade Cooper) and 12. Kerevi. After they put together a highlights reel in the super series all of this debate might simply disappear.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

No, you're not. And no, I'm not guessing.

Because you've already stated that you don't read the Roar, you're obviously not familiar with his very own justification as to why he wasn't going to write for G&GR anymore.

So yeah, I'm not guessing. I'm repeating it straight from the horses mouth.

It's dangerous to consume your gossip & news from one website, especially if that well becomes polluted. A similar reason was given by Mr Allen on the Roar as to his absense on G&GR. (difference in opinion with editor)

So yeah, Cyclopath. You are the one that's guessing. I'm citing the man himself.

It's clear that you're obviously not as well aware as you'd like to think. For that, you have my sympathy
I don't need your sympathy. I have spoken to Scott too. Many times. You assume I read from one source. Again you're wrong. But I'm not sure why I'm wasting time on you. You ain't worth a minute of it.

T

Train Without a Station

Chasmac,

Well no. Foley was the incumbent in 2014 due to injury to Quade, and then was retained there with the exception of 3 matches.

vs SA in Brisbane
vs NZ in Auckland
vs Uruguay in England

Considering that Quade's first yellow came in a game where Foley was selected as the starting 10, not sure it's accurate to cite Quade's YC's as the reason for Foley's selection.

By the time he got a 2nd YC Foley had been chosen there for two consecutive prior matches.

By the time he got his 3rd Foley had been selected at 10 for 4 of the 7 matches so far in 2015. Most importantly for the first RWC game and not the Uruguay game where all DD's were used as it was 4 days after the Fiji test.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nah Fatprop, instead of engaging in debate, you merely dismissed an entire article as "confirmation bias"

Ahh OK, I thought reminding someone that confirmation bias can be an issue (we all do it) was engaging in debate.

But anyhoo, as I am not bothered with what he says and I am happy to see Foley continue to get the gig.

He suits the style of play Chieka wants, especially with Phipps playing 9. The other option QC (Quade Cooper) will get his chance with Genia in some of the following tests

Which reinforces my point before about the biggest contributors often being the biggest anchors in this forum.

Yeah well, welcome to the internet, we get to disagree and I don't care

T

Tip

Well since y'all are south of the boarder and don't know Scott on a personal or professional basis...

I guess I'll have to take your word for it. :)

There's a reason Scott doesn't post in the forums anymore, let alone the front page. It was not because he was getting paid to exclusively write front page articles for The Roar.

And if you didn't care Fatprop, you wouldn't have bothered to reply.