• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Nah, they had 22,000 for the Italy test in Canberra.....

But let's not compare low Brumbies crowds to hypothetical Wallaby ones if they were to bring in a rare test match against a reasonable opposition.....

And if it was an afternoon Test as well... that would make a huge difference in Canberra.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I went to the Italy match and while cold wasn't too bad for Canberra.........

I think the shit weather combined with the fact that Fiji weren't going to be very competitive just didn't attract much interest..........

They would probably draw more interest now...........

Anyways, the ARU should aim to hold tests in Canberra only once every 3-4 years as I think that would help bring in better crowds there if the opportunity is rarer.

And until they get the new stadium Sunday afternoon would probably be the ideal time slot.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You know what I'm looking forward to next year:

6. Timani/Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Holloway/Timani

I think its superbly balanced with line-out options, big bodies, link players, hard-hitters.

Then McMahon coming from the bench and upping the tempo.

I think all over the park we've got some really solid depth for 2017 and moving forward with options available in the immediate future and some strong prospects coming through:

1/3: Sio, Kepu, Slipper, Robertson, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, ?
2: Moore, TPN, Hansen, Latu, Ready.
4-5: Coleman, Arnold, Simmons, Douglas, Skelton, Carter, Mumm, Tui, Staniforth, RHP
6: Fardy, Higgenbotham, McMahon, Holloway, McCalman, Timani, Mumm, RHP, Dempsey.
7: Hooper, McMahon, Reid, Fainga'a
8: Higgenbotham, Timpani, Holloway, McCalman, McMahon

9: Genia, Phipps, Frisby, Gordon, Lucas, the two Force / Spirit kids (I've forgotten their names), Powell.
10: Foley, Cooper, Lance, Debreczeni, Hegarty Beale (when fit), Lealifano (when healthy).
11/14: DHP, Speight, Naivalu, Hodge, Horne, Taqele, Koroibete.
12: Hodge, Lance, Hunt, Kerevi, Horwitz, Simone.
13: Kerevi, Kuridrani, Folau.
15: Folau, DHP, Hunt.

T

Tip

Depth means nothing when the coach refuses to pick the best man for the job.

We're likely to see Foley @ 12 this weekend, and that tells you all you need to know about the Wallabies chances in the immediate future.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

We're likely to see Foley @ 12 this weekend, and that tells you all you need to know about the Wallabies chances in the immediate future.

Oh come off it.

He picked Foley over Cooper - marginal call with not much either way.

He's picked Mumm over Fardy - marginal call again.

He picked Foley over Hodge - marginal call.

Remember that at this stage Hodge had played something like 11 games at Super Rugby level at a variety of positions and for the role that Cheika desired Foley it was a marginal call between Hodge and Foley.

It's not like Cheika's been making bizzarro-world calls across the park every single game.

Theres one or two every now and that cause some parties to grab pitchforks and other parties to look at what and go:

"Hmm, thats interesting. Thats not what I would've done but I know what he's looking for in that role and its somewhat reasonable for him to have picked that player under such a framework. After all he is the coach and choosing a gameplay, style of play and players to fulfil that is his prerogative".

You may not be in the "too many Reds" camp but the black/white way in which you articulate your views causes people to mentally place you in one.

(I wish we would stop talking about Tahs vs. Reds it creates a divisive "us" vs. "them" mentality thats disastrous in an already divided and under pressure code).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh come off it.

He picked Foley over Cooper - marginal call with not much either way.

He's picked Mumm over Fardy - marginal call again.

He picked Foley over Hodge - marginal call.

Remember that at this stage Hodge had played something like 11 games at Super Rugby level at a variety of positions and for the role that Cheika desired Foley it was a marginal call between Hodge and Foley.

It's not like Cheika's been making bizzarro-world calls across the park every single game.

Theres one or two every now and that cause some parties to grab pitchforks and other parties to look at what and go:

"Hmm, thats interesting. Thats not what I would've done but I know what he's looking for in that role and its somewhat reasonable for him to have picked that player under such a framework. After all he is the coach and choosing a gameplay, style of play and players to fulfil that is his prerogative".

You may not be in the "too many Reds" camp but the black/white way in which you articulate your views causes people to mentally place you in one.

(I wish we would stop talking about Tahs vs. Reds it creates a divisive "us" vs. "them" mentality thats disastrous in an already divided and under pressure code).

So much yes. I'll add these marginal calls probably don't seem so marginal when you see what's up at training - which he does and we don't.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Out of interest, who is the best man for the job? At the moment.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I hope not, his form in the last test @ 10 was excellent.

With Phipps at 9 it is simple logic to pick the guy who will play closer to advantage line and run squarer. That makes the defense hold and not drift; and it is no surprise to see Folau play better with that extra space.

That said, as usual, it comes down to the pigs providing quick front foot ball with Wales trying to do everything in their power to slow it all down

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I really can't agree with this. There is a difference between excellent and better than the crap he's been producing.
He was still responsible for more points to the opposition than he was for Australia and that can never be called excellent.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

we get to disagree

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I really can't agree with this. There is a difference between excellent and better than the crap he's been producing.
He was still responsible for more points to the opposition than he was for Australia and that can never be called excellent.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Within the circles I frequent, as composed of international fans (mainly NH) he was regarded as excellent.

I'm getting sick of people blaming Foley for tries as well if his kicks don't make touch - it utterly robs the defensive line of any responsibility.

Are they mistakes? Yes. Do they place pressure on the team? Yes. Are they entirely responsible for letting in a try? God no.

If someone knocks the ball on in midfield and the rest of the team miss 6 tackles to let the ABs run 50m and score in the corner then its not the player who knocked the ball on who is to be held responsible. They made a mistake but this can't be used to exonerate others.

They were certainly a black mark on his game but people have the fact that his kicks didn't find touch to downgrade his game from 'utterly fantastic' to 'poor' in what appears to be a very one-eyed appraisal of his efforts. I'd suggest that you should visit some international rugby forums or fan-sites.

It helps to balance out your views and take a break from this awful abyss that we sometimes gaze into upon this site.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If someone knocks the ball on in midfield and the rest of the team miss 6 tackles to let the ABs run 50m and score in the corner then its not the player who knocked the ball on who is to be held responsible. They made a mistake but this can't be used to exonerate others.

You'd be fun to work with. You cock up at work, the rest of the team try and cover for you on the fly but despite their best efforts can't and you say it's their fault that they couldn't save your ass?

Using your example, 6 missed tackles from a scrambling defence that were up until that point on attack are probably more forgivable than the loose carry that contributed/caused the try.

There are plenty of really good things that Foley did in Bled 3, I for one thought he had a great game by his recent average standard, but to completely dismiss basic errors that directly contributed to points for the opposition is just being wilfully blind.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Michael, who's at fault in the try where Foley completely missed a tackle about 5 or 6 metres out and then both Sio and one other were forced to try to cover right on the try line?

I'm completely with Sully on this. Foley was particularly strong taking the line on, as he usually is. But in all other aspects of No 10 play, he was not up to test standard. His game in Bledisloe 3 is being overhyped by the usual suspects.

Overall, his style of play really would suit coming off the bench with about 15 - 20 minutes to play.

T

Train Without a Station

Foley was excellent? God that's massively over egging it.

Foley played ok (quite well in some facets) and actually showed the best form as a facilitating flyhalf since the first England test.

But the fact is that the Wallabies on attack were marginally more threatening than they were in Wellington.

They broke the line every 20.3 phases in Auckland and beat a defender every 5th. For reference the All Blacks broke the line every 4 phases and beat a defender every 2.75.

In Wellington we broke the line every 23.3 phases and beat a defender every 7th. Considering that we lost 4 of 12 line outs in Wellington (we lost 1 of 10 in Auckland), that certainly limited our ability to get quality ball to break the line.

Then there's the fact that as a goal kicker he missed 2 shots basically directly in front (I think one was somewhere between the post and the 15m). Then there's the fact that at times his general kicking put the team under pressure.

Stats certainly are not everything but we looked better in Auckland at least partially because with close to twice as many phases of attack, we had more chances to look good. Auckland was probably one of the better Wallaby forward pack performances this year and there's no reason to suggest with a better kicking game, it might have allowed them to be better.

Despite that, for the 2016 test season, Foley has still more opposition tries directly facilitated by him (intercepts or charge downs), than Wallaby tries.