• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Going back a couple of posts, getting Beale back in Australia is probably one of the best things that could happen in the next year for the Wallabies.

Well yeah. He would be an asset.

It kind of damns us to know this, though, because our focus becomes on individuals and not the systems.

How do we get players back to keep our franchises competitive?
How do we keep those here who get offered big bucks overseas?

That will help a lot in terms of national rugby results, which has the knock-on effect of shoring up finances and making the game popular.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Well yeah. He would be an asset.

It kind of damns us to know this, though, because our focus becomes on individuals and not the systems.

How do we get players back to keep our franchises competitive?
How do we keep those here who get offered big bucks overseas?

That will help a lot in terms of national rugby results, which has the knock-on effect of shoring up finances and making the game popular.

Build a time machine and go back to 1907, burn down the Bateman's Hotel and make sure everyone inside dies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The ARU has confirmed that our June 2017 tests will be afternoon games against Fiji, Scotland and Italy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^^ we should revisit the strength of that prediction after the current eoyt tests. Scotland have been a bit of a thorn in the Wallabies' sides over the past few years.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, tough games to sell but hard to find something better in a Lions tour year. Especially with France already taken (going to South Africa I believe).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Should use this as an opportunity to have a few games in places other then Sydney & Brisbane.

I'd like to think Canberra would sell out. Not that it matter to me given I'm moving to Brisbane in 2 weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should use this as an opportunity to have a few games in places other then Sydney & Brisbane.

I'd like to think Canberra would sell out. Not that it matter to me given I'm moving to Brisbane in 2 weeks.

It's Italy in Brisbane, Scotland in Sydney and Fiji in Melbourne.

Given they are lesser drawcards than a lot of other inbound tours, I think the ARU has to maximise the revenue opportunity as best they can.

The ARU also have a contractual agreement to play a game at Allianz Stadium each season (outside of RWC years).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Given they are lesser drawcards than a lot of other inbound tours, I think the ARU has to maximise the revenue opportunity as best they can.

Even though Sydney and Brisbane have a larger capacity in their stadiums I'm not so sure they will draw larger crowd numbers - given they have Test's every year including Bledisloes and Rugby Championship games.

Personally, given the increased novelty factor of holding a one-off test in Canberra or another smaller region I think it could possibly draw a larger crowd.

Just a theory, not sure how much evidence there is backing it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All the evidence points in the opposite direction.

You could bet your house on the fact that an SFS test against Scotland will get a bigger crowd than playing that game at Canberra Stadium.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah I doubt Canberra will get another test any time soon.

The Gold Coast lost the Argentina test for a crowd of 19,000.

That's still a significant increase on the crowds Canberra got for Fiji and Italy.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I just hope they aren't going to try and sell tickets at the same prices they used for England this year in Melbourne. Guess they can just shut half the stadium like the rebels are apparently doing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
^^^^^^^^ we should revisit the strength of that prediction after the current eoyt tests. Scotland have been a bit of a thorn in the Wallabies' sides over the past few years.

Likely to be without Nel & Hogg at bare minimum. Unlike previous tours, we've also got a solid core who could be picked depending on form, committee, gameplan and fitness.

Best case scenario is that we lose our Tighthead and Fullback, where there is a relative chasm in quality (saying more about their ability than the lack of in Fagerson & Low/Maitland & whomever).

Worst case scenario also involves losing our Coach, one of each of our starting centers, wings, locks and both halves.

We "can" compete and potentially win in the best case scenario. In the worst, a humping would come about when the benches are emptied, regardless of the score before that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
All the evidence points in the opposite direction.

You could bet your house on the fact that an SFS test against Scotland will get a bigger crowd than playing that game at Canberra Stadium.

Fair enough, pretty disappointing numbers from Canberra.

I do like the idea of the afternoon time-slot. Should help with numbers.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really worry about that Italy test. The ARU SHOULD (but won't) be engaging with the local Italian community which is very strong just around the corner in Park Road.

They should also just have bargain basement ticket prices. Just fill the place. They can't just put it on at 3pm and say it's family friendly. It's now got to be affordable to be family friendly.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You know what I'm looking forward to next year:

6. Timani/Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Holloway/Timani

I think its superbly balanced with line-out options, big bodies, link players, hard-hitters.

Then McMahon coming from the bench and upping the tempo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I doubt Canberra will get another test any time soon.

The Gold Coast lost the Argentina test for a crowd of 19,000.

That's still a significant increase on the crowds Canberra got for Fiji and Italy.

Nah, they had 22,000 for the Italy test in Canberra...........

But let's not compare low Brumbies crowds to hypothetical Wallaby ones if they were to bring in a rare test match against a reasonable opposition...........

T

Train Without a Station

Sorry Slim that's correct.

I had in my mind the 15k the following year for the Fiji game. I think this is what will be held against Canberra.

Interesting I think that Italian test was held on a historically cold night as well. Did pretty well compared to Fiji the following year.