• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

it could be argued a 5th super team would have being a benefit to the Tahs in the current situation, they may have being able to pick up a lock or backrower with super experience

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
it could be argued a 5th super team would have being a benefit to the Tahs in the current situation, they may have being able to pick up a lock or backrower with super experience

Nup, a 5th Super team would have made it worse

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:

they did, that inappropriate toucher of quokkas Scott Fava

T

TOCC

fatprop said:
TOCC said:

yeah no worries, if you say so
::)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
It's interesting that Hickey is announcing a more expansive game. I thought last year that from the time when Burgess put his hand up the Tah's played the best rugby for the players they had, and it was based on the pack plus Burgess.

The problem is at 12. I thought Tom Carter had a good year in 2008 and stayed healthy most of the time for a change. He was even involved in the odd attacking move which relied on a timely pass from him. But, by and large, he is not a catalyst for attacking play outside of him.

I'm guessing Hickey had to take the pledge given the attendances last S14 season.

I thought Carter was fantastic last season. Ran hard and straight, got us over the advantage line and offloaded the pill. It certainly didn't make his job easier with how predictable and telegraphed our attack was. Beale at 10 is always looking for the miracle play. At 13 we haven't had a strike attacking weapon since Jason Little. If Palu isn't fit, who gets us go forward ? A backline with Beale, Tuqiri, Horne, Tahu, Turner and SNK/Halangahu is bloody flakey. I like Carter for the balance he gives us and let's not forget defence is a critical part of the equation.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
naza said:
Lee Grant said:
It's interesting that Hickey is announcing a more expansive game. I thought last year that from the time when Burgess put his hand up the Tah's played the best rugby for the players they had, and it was based on the pack plus Burgess.

The problem is at 12. I thought Tom Carter had a good year in 2008 and stayed healthy most of the time for a change. He was even involved in the odd attacking move which relied on a timely pass from him. But, by and large, he is not a catalyst for attacking play outside of him.

I'm guessing Hickey had to take the pledge given the attendances last S14 season.

I thought Carter was fantastic last season. Ran hard and straight, got us over the advantage line and offloaded the pill. It certainly didn't make his job easier with how predictable and telegraphed our attack was. Beale at 10 is always looking for the miracle play. At 13 we haven't had a strike attacking weapon since Jason Little. If Palu isn't fit, who gets us go forward ? A backline with Beale, Tuqiri, Horne, Tahu, Turner and SNK/Halangahu is bloody flakey. I like Carter for the balance he gives us and let's not forget defence is a critical part of the equation.

I concur re Carter. I thought he had a very solid season this year. Was a party to one of the best tries of the year, with Horne running off him(can't remember against who) at SFS. Regularly got over the advantage line and as already said, solid in defence. Would much rather have him @ 12, than gamble on Tahu!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

At the moment we are struggling to field 4 competitive sides, let alone a 5th. In five years we may have the depth to expand but at the moment we just don't have the talent.

T

TOCC

fatprop said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

At the moment we are struggling to field 4 competitive sides, let alone a 5th. In five years we may have the depth to expand but at the moment we just don't have the talent.
that wasnt my point though...

if Australia had a 5th team then there would be a greater chance that NSW would have being able to sign a experienced player, someone like Chris Thomson currently in the NSW Squad could have had 20caps to his name by now..

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

if Australia had a 5th team then there would be a greater chance that NSW would have being able to sign a experienced player, someone like Chris Thomson currently in the NSW Squad could have had 20caps to his name by now..

On this logic, why not push for 100 S14 teams so we have lots of S14 experienced players!

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:
I'm sounding like a broken record since I heard that Hewat was released from his Tahs contract, but the Tahs need an elite goal kicker.

Looking at Beale I think he has the natural ability to be a top-notch goal kicker. His problem in '08 was that he'd obviously been tutored by Peter Hewatt, who while having a big boot, has a very flakey kicking style. When you can see he's not feeling confident, he has a tendancy to HOOK badly.

In the early part of '08 S14 Beale's technique was straight out of the Hewatt play book. At some stage he twigged that it just wasn't working for him and modified it late in the season, before the miracle ball in the wet in SA. If Beale wants a role model to emulate he should look no further than Joey Johns. Great technique, big impact, low trajectory and importantly no hook - straight as. He would regularly put them over from the sideline b/w 22 and 30 out.

Matthew Burke will no doubt be working with those named by Lee, but although Burke's style was picturesque it too was a bit flakey on money kicks - see Highlanders at SFS - hit post from in front; AB's at ANZ trying to convert Rogers' try. Burke, like many including Hewatt, is a confidence kicker - when he's hot ..... Although he kicked straight through the ball and got reasonable accuracy, you could just tell on the big occasions that he didn't quite have the gritty resolve of a Johns or El Masri. (But I digress.)

Of the others mentioned by Lee, Turner may make a good back-up and provide a long range option but Hangers is not an option. The guy has a popgun of a boot.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seriously I think Mumm should be at 6. That back row is not balanced for mine and Fava does a lot of disappearing.

The problem I guess is who to plug into lock.Fark me I hope there is no prop injury. The difference between the starting tight 5 and the reserves looks like daylight.

T

TOCC

formeropenside said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

On this logic, why not push for 100 S14 teams so we have lots of S14 experienced players!
thats hardly the logic that it was based on.... ive made my point clear, now your just being a bit of a sook.
i agree that there would be a struggle to spread the talent if Australia ever creates a 5th team, hence why i support the idea of introducing allowances for imported players for a 5th team to give time for the talent to develop.

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
formeropenside said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

thats hardly the logic that it was based on.... ive made my point clear, now your just being a bit of a sook.
i agree that there would be a struggle to spread the talent if Australia ever creates a 5th team, hence why i support the idea of introducing allowances for imported players for a 5th team to give time for the talent to develop.

The Tahs should have been looking around for locks like Ed O'D, and didn't they let someone (Campbell or AWH?) go because they had S14 experience, but only enough to show they sucked?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
formeropenside said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

We have the ability now to get imports and so far we have no one of note and we won't while the euro is so strong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the euro is a factor, I think it was more to do with timing though. Most of everyone had already committed to a team when it was formalised. 2010 should see better players/imports coming through.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
the euro is a factor, I think it was more to do with timing though. Most of everyone had already committed to a team when it was formalised. 2010 should see better players/imports coming through.
Agreed, there's other reasons that professional rugby players would choose to live in oz on top of just the cashish. Look at Rathbone and Vickerman, both seem motivated by providing a safe environment for their families without too much changing by way of lifestyle and climate.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Moses said:
Noddy said:
Agreed, there's other reasons that professional rugby players would choose to live in oz on top of just the cashish. Look at Rathbone and Vickerman, both seem motivated by providing a safe environment for their families without too much changing by way of lifestyle and climate.

Yeah

If I was a young white Bok uncapped THP prop, I would be leveraging Aus opportunities.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Moses said:
Noddy said:

Yeah

If I was a young white Bok uncapped THP prop, I would be leveraging Aus opportunities.
Plus signing for an Aussie S14 team your work pays for a trip home to see your friends and extended family every year.. if you're good enough for the Wallabies you get two trips!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moses said:
fatprop said:
Moses said:
Noddy said:

Yeah

Plus signing for an Aussie S14 team your work pays for a trip home to see your friends and extended family every year.. if you're good enough for the Wallabies you get two trips!

even better, they pay for the return leg of the flight too!

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
we should definetly see some bigger name signings in 2010, the Reds are the only ones to really capitalise on the foreign player rule as of yet, i also hope in the next 12 - 24 months the ARU and NZRU open there international selections up to players from either country.

Although at first glance it would benefit the domestic game more in Australia then NZ, it might also help them avoid some of there big name players moving overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.