• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
rugbywhisperer said:
Up here in the bananaland, we don't get to see too much Sydney club rugger any more now that the ABC has dumped it, however I am surprised that Dunning even turns out for the Woods. I am told by sources at the scene that he thinks that sort of activity to be far beneath his stature.

Interesting to hear. You probably won't be surprised to hear then that he didn't play many games at all for the Woodies.

fatprop; I would argue that 4 props for rotation over a 14 week comp with 1 bye (neglecting finals, you won't rotate for that) is probably a bit of overkill. 3 props, one being able to play both sides adequately, should be plenty assuming no injuries. The other Aus teams would kill to have 3 good props. The Force have none.

I hope Palu makes it back for the Tahs, as they'll need him. But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Beau Robinson, Coridas and Mowen to see if they can make it. A storming Palu getting his spot back from Fava whilst one of Mowen, Robinson or Coridas holding down starting blindside would be great for Aus rugby. Despite all this, the Tahs still have the best forward depth in Aus, apart from the 2nd row - and even then they have done well having Caldwell and Mumm after losing Kanaar and Vickerman this year.

PS Compare this article from Ed Jackson to Growden's opinionated negativity:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24751069-5002381,00.html

Good news about Tahu, too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Ash said:
Lindommer; I don't think Dunning was too big a loss for the Tahs. Dunning's performances for Australia this year were hardly inspiring, as were his performances even for Eastwood. You'd expect a test player to stand out like a sore thumb in club rugby: Dunning was part of the furniture.
Up here in the bananaland, we don't get to see too much Sydney club rugger any more now that the ABC has dumped it, however I am surprised that Dunning even turns out for the Woods. I am told by sources at the scene that he thinks that sort of activity to be far beneath his stature.

Pretty surprising, a couple of years ago Dunning insisted in playing in the reserve grade grand final because he didn't want to take the place of the two starting props that had been there all season.

R

rugbywhisperer

fatprop said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Ash said:
Lindommer; I don't think Dunning was too big a loss for the Tahs. Dunning's performances for Australia this year were hardly inspiring, as were his performances even for Eastwood. You'd expect a test player to stand out like a sore thumb in club rugby: Dunning was part of the furniture.
Pretty surprising, a couple of years ago Dunning insisted in playing in the reserve grade grand final because he didn't want to take the place of the two starting props that had been there all season.

He also refused to go on during the game as as sub for one of the starting props when they were being severely beaten

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ash said:
He hit him with an illegal no arms tackle and flopped on him.

He led with forearms up into that illegal tackle, and then when he was flopping led again with the forearms Ash. It was pretty bloody stupid.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
NTA said:
Ash said:
He hit him with an illegal no arms tackle and flopped on him.

He led with forearms up into that illegal tackle, and then when he was flopping led again with the forearms Ash. It was pretty bloody stupid.

It was stupid - but he didn't elbow the guy on the ground, as has been claimed. Cooper does have a big temperment problem. But saying he elbowed the guy on the ground - he flopped, and his elbows were up but ended up well over the guy's head. How you can claim he elbowed the guy on the ground when he didn't make contact...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
15 Sam Norton-Knight
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Timana Tahu
12 Rob Horne
11 Lote Tuqiri
10 Kurtley Beale
9 Luke Burgess
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 Phil Waugh
6 Scott Fava/Ben Mowen
5 Will Caldwell
4 Dean Mumm
3 Al Baxter
2 Tatafu Polata Nau
1 Benn Robinson

16 Adam Freier
17 Dan Palmer
18 Chris Thomson
19 Beau Robinson
20 Brett Sheehan
21 Daniel Halangahu
22 Matt Carraro

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'll take a stab:

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Baxter
4. Caldwell
5. Mumm
6. Fava
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. Burgess
10. Beale
11. Tuqiri
12. Tahu
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. SNK

16. Freier
17. Palmer
18. Campbell
19. Mowen/Robinson
20. Sheehan
21. Halangahu
22. Nasiganiyavi/Carraro

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
barbarian said:
I'll take a stab:

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Baxter
4. Caldwell
5. Mumm
6. Fava
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. Burgess
10. Beale
11. Tuqiri
12. Tahu
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. SNK

16. Freier
17. Palmer
18. Campbell
19. Mowen/Robinson
20. Sheehan
21. Halangahu
22. Nasiganiyavi/Carraro

Al Campbell wasn't offered a contract by the Tahs and is off to France

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I'm sounding like a broken record since I heard that Hewat was released from his Tahs contract, but the Tahs need an elite goal kicker. It's not as though they can score tries from all over the park to make up for missed goals.

The Tahs dodged a couple of goal-kicking bullets last year, but they can't expect their luck to hold in 2009. Kurtley Beale nailed a conversion from the sideline in Perth which meant the Force needed to score a try to win, and they couldn't - and he nailed another wide one in Cape Town in the rain, which in hindsight was responsible for the vital draw.

Full marks to him for those efforts but he is a reserve kicker at best at this stage.

I saw Lachie Turner at Coogee Oval this year kicking well for Eastwood. He didn't kick every one but he struck them all well except one IIRR. It's a small sample but lets hope he can show something in the trials.

I wouldn't get too excited about Halangahu fulfulling that role either. I'd like to see him play a few more games this year but goal kicking shouldn't be part of the decision, because I've seen him have some shocking days with the boot.

As for the article: I hope that the NSW medicos are looking after Palu's long term interests. Can't say I trust the medicos of any sporting team 100%. If he is truly fit then having the big boofhead at 8 will make a difference. Of a sudden the pack looks better than if he's not there because players won't have to move around to patch up the team.

It's interesting that Hickey is announcing a more expansive game. I thought last year that from the time when Burgess put his hand up the Tah's played the best rugby for the players they had, and it was based on the pack plus Burgess.

Things will be different in the pack in 2009 with Mumm having to move into lock, Elsom and 2 quality S14 props absent; so I guess the Tahs will have to do things a bit different accordingly. Hickey is too good a coach to think that playing expansively is the be all and end all of rugby, because even under the ELVs the first ingredient needed for such a game is quick ball, surely delivered.

Reactive play on opponents turnovers is important also, but the Tahs weren't great in that area last year. Perhaps some of the Wallabies can give some of Deans' tips in that regard. If they do, suggestions will include such mysterious things as getting lazy arses off the ground and running backwards smartly into attacking configurations.

But I digress. The Tahs will have to do something about the 12 position. At 10 Beale can dish the ball out with the best of them unless he is being controlled by some game plan, and Horne at 13 is such a quick learner that he will be full grown by the end of next season. The outside backs didn't get much ball in the 2008 S14 but their skills suit an attacking game.

The problem is at 12. I thought Tom Carter had a good year in 2008 and stayed healthy most of the time for a change. He was even involved in the odd attacking move which relied on a timely pass from him. But, by and large, he is not a catalyst for attacking play outside of him.

Tahu played well for Oz A at 12 but when you analyse his successful play you see the successes of a centre who has played league: the Gasnier ability to beat a man one on one but not the ability to capitalise on the golden moment with the golden ball. Nor does using his foot against the ball earn him any union brownie points.

I hope these comments are derided a few months from now when Tahu makes me look foolish. If so, he wouldn't be the first player to benefit from the curse of LG.

Where was I? 12. Who then? Perhaps as Noddy says: young Horne who had it all as a 12 for NSW Schools though he had to move to 13 for Oz Schools - and Tahu at 13. Maybe we will have the meat and potaotes Cararro at 13 and kicking goals.

Maybe not also, but let's at least see the Horner trial some at inside centre.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah the Tahs season will be all down to further injuries, we have little lock and prop coverage now, lose Baxter/Robinson & Mumm/Caldwell we are screwed

8 Wycliffe Palu
7 Phil Waugh
6 Scott Fava
5 Will Caldwell
4 Thomson
3 Palmer
2 Tatafu Polata Nau
1 Benn Robinson

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Yeah the Tahs season will be all down to further injuries, we have little lock and prop coverage now, lose Baxter/Robinson & Mumm/Caldwell we are screwed

8 Wycliffe Palu
7 Phil Waugh
6 Scott Fava
5 Will Caldwell
4 Thomson
3 Palmer
2 Tatafu Polata Nau
1 Benn Robinson

Mumm!!!!????!!!!???

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
just an example of how the Tahs would look like if Baxter and Mumm got injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.