• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidstah

Frank Row (1)
I'm a kiwi and I like both Hakas, although I would prefer the ka mata be done all the time, bring back the jump at the end like it was when I was a kid!

The throat slitting motion needs to go too, doesn't matter if it's actually a "drawing of breath", it still looks a hell of a lot like a throat slit, which is over the top IMO.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Steve Hansen started the mind games with this.

What a lot of rubbish this whole respect thing is, Hansen I understood was saying they were no longer in awe of ABs and probably don't even respect, the whole question came up about wether Wallabies are scared of ABs, I never took it as a complaint against Wallabies. Didn't that all get started by Marto and his lot going on about Wallabies not respecting Samoans?? that was after Marto had laughed about Samoa should take a photo of scoreboard because they were actually leading Wallabies at halftime, and as soon as they lost he started raving that PLAYERS didn't respect Samoans.. And as usual once a word comes out ie respect, it becomes the word of the year!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually first time I saw 'the gesture' that is so scarey was in a haka being done by a secondary school 1st 15 team, in early 90s, that was when it got explained to me what it was signifying. Also the Haka that original NZ rugby team did whilst touring Oz in 1880s was actually aheke or something, Ka Mate didn't come in until after 1900. It was in 1905 as a reply to Ka Mate that the first National Anthem was done at a test match when Welsh crowd sung 'Land of our fathers'. Advance Australia Fair was not Aussie's original anthem, and that doesn't make it any less tradional.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I thought it was a cunning piece of media play by Hansen, far more effective than Nucifora's veiled references to pressure. Better, I suppose, to give the media a headline you can live with, than see them twist something innocuous into something you never hear the end of. Or, crazy idea, you could talk so cryptically no one has a clue what you are saying. Yeah, nah.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I like the Haka - it gets everyone fired up.

I don't think it gives anyone an advantage.

I think it's good television, and it brings people to the sport.

I think the Ka Mate haka is better, but Piri Weepu looks awesome leading the new one.

If the economy was better in NZ, I'd probably move there for the reduced number of rednecks, snow, fishing, and to teach my son to play rugby.

Yeah fox sports reckon the haka has attracted 3.5 viewers with a cumulative iq of 210 and a net income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Actually first time I saw 'the gesture' that is so scarey was in a haka being done by a secondary school 1st 15 team, in early 90s, that was when it got explained to me what it was signifying. Also the Haka that original NZ rugby team did whilst touring Oz in 1880s was actually aheke or something, Ka Mate didn't come in until after 1900. It was in 1905 as a reply to Ka Mate that the first National Anthem was done at a test match when Welsh crowd sung 'Land of our fathers'. Advance Australia Fair was not Aussie's original anthem, and that doesn't make it any less tradional.

Nor does it make it any less shithouse

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
As far as the Haka goes, why don't you aussies embrace the aboriginal culture and get a war dance of your own?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2Cwl_flZc

Best start and game at the mungo cup (the aussies smashed em).

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, the maori culture is pretty much singular (you even have a name for it), so it was pretty easy to pick the dance.
Not so in oz! and I wish we had, without weapons ...

Don't care so much about the throat slit now I know it's meaning, plus I know the aussies are special to the nz's cause they do it for us every game.

The crossing of the 10m line, that has some flaccid penalty associated with it, should be penalized by shifting the kick off by 10m or handing the ball to the opposition and removing the need for there to be a contest for the ball, so it can be a drop goaled.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You don't like your National Anthem?

Have you ever seen it in writing it is the greatest load of horseshit

The tune is a crock

Give me god of nations or the saffa one any day: they both stir me sufficiently even when you're our enemy for 80 minutes

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

The tune is a crock

It can be sung to the tune of Gillian's island or vice versa: shit, is that a national secret I've just spilt?

Give me god of nations or the saffa one any day: they both stir me sufficiently even when you're our enemy for 80 minutes

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The All Blacks should only be allowed to perform their silly little dance in their own country. If they want to slap their thighs and poke their tongues out in an intimate beckoning to sheep, let them, but there should be no place for their silly little dance in another country. The silly little dance has no cultural significance outside of NZ, let them have their "so you think you can dance" impersonation and their "Glee" moments in New Zealand.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

The tune is a crock

May I suggest a move to NZ or SA if that is how you feel?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The All Blacks should only be allowed to perform their silly little dance in their own country. If they want to slap their thighs and poke their tongues out in an intimate beckoning to sheep, let them, but there should be no place for their silly little dance in another country. The silly little dance has no cultural significance outside of NZ, let them have their "so you think you can dance" impersonation and their "Glee" moments in New Zealand.
Mate it is only done outside NZ by invitation of the home union.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
May I suggest a move to NZ or SA if that is how you feel?

Last time I checked this was a democracy....so you may suggest anything...and I may dislike the national anthem.
If waltzing Matilda doesn't do it for you then nothing will: it's not as if the lyrics are any less meaningful or pertinent.
Advance Australia fair was first imposed on this country by E G Whitlam as merely one of his many ill conceived but dictatorial acts as PM.
I have never really felt my land to be girt by sea...our soil is brown or red not golden....of course we never sing te second verse for fear of offending the native inhabitants...but did you actually know te dirge is 5 verses long?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Yes I was aware of that. The anthem is what it is. Like it or not it is part of our national pride. Waltzing Matilda does nothing for me for the record. Good luck finding a Jumbuck in the part of Australia I am from and just in case you have not noticed, Australia actually is girt by sea.

Reactions: Ash
T

TheNextBigThing

I thought everyone agreed that the national anthem should be Charlotte the Harlot Lay Dying.

The killjoys in Canberra said no, but I think Advance Australia Fare is a pretty awesome silver medal.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Our land is clearly girt (belted) by sea.

I'd suggest golden soil is a metaphor.

And the theme says it all - for we are young and free.

Bloody magic anthem as far as I am concerned. But as verse one says, you are free to disagree.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yes I was aware of that. The anthem is what it is. Like it or not it is part of our national pride. Waltzing Matilda does nothing for me for the record. Good luck finding a Jumbuck in the part of Australia I am from and just in case you have not noticed, Australia actually is girt by sea.

In 2011 or 1974 nothing is or was girt by sea: something cannot be mandated as part of the national pride.
I would prefer poker face by lady gaga or a reworked version of I'm on a boat by lonely island..... I'm onto it

Status
Not open for further replies.