• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't care if it's performed or not, but the throat slash haka as to go. To bang on about tradition and respect then make up a new war dance without history, tradition or respect fo the opposition is stupid.

I agree. Ka Mate is great but Kapa O Pango is rubbish and it bugs me.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Another haka thread? Or the same one as last time? I can't tell. I'll post what I always post - I don't care what dance they perform, as long as it takes one minute tops. They should get a fine if it goes longer than 1:00.

In fact, I'll do a quick YouTube search for hakas and time them.

Buck Shelford (1990) - 0:30
Zinzan Brooke (1995?) - 0:25
Taine Randell (2001?) - 0:50
Carlos Spencer (2003) - 0:50
Tana Umaga (2005?) - 0:40
Piri Weepu (2009) - 1:15
Piri Weepu (2010) - 1:20

I've thrown some rough dates in there, but you see the point.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What's next, ref says you ready captain and Ritchie says sorry sir I need to take a quick piss.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I like the haka and I respect the cultural importance of it to NZ people. I don't like the through slitting thing and the jesture has no place on a sporting paddock. If somebody was about to invade your land I would see its worth but in a sporting environment it is offencive.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I like the Haka - it gets everyone fired up.

I don't think it gives anyone an advantage.

I think it's good television, and it brings people to the sport.

I think the Ka Mate haka is better, but Piri Weepu looks awesome leading the new one.

If the economy was better in NZ, I'd probably move there for the reduced number of rednecks, snow, fishing, and to teach my son to play rugby.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
If the economy was better in NZ, I'd probably move there for the reduced number of rednecks, snow, fishing, and to teach my son to play rugby.

It's not that bad. Obviously we can't employ all the scaffolders that you guys seem so short of, but you can live very comfortably here thank you very much. In a moment of weakness we did the calculations for my wife and I (Nurse and High School teacher) and found we may as well stay.

As far as the Haka goes, why don't you aussies embrace the aboriginal culture and get a war dance of your own?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2Cwl_flZc

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would consider retiring to NZ... somewhere like Taupo. I really like the place.

That's a long way away though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I like the haka and I respect the cultural importance of it to NZ people. I don't like the through slitting thing and the jesture has no place on a sporting paddock. If somebody was about to invade your land I would see its worth but in a sporting environment it is offencive.
Geez and I usually just ignore Haka threads, but the drawing hand across neck to symbolise drawing breathis terrible( And I not saying it can't be taken as slashing throat, but it's not what it means) but out PI brethren can pretend to throw spears and that ok??

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Geez and I usually just ignore Haka threads, but the drawing hand across neck to symbolise drawing breathis terrible( And I not saying it can't be taken as slashing throat, but it's not what it means) but out PI brethren can pretend to throw spears and that ok??

its offensive, and its more offensive when your coaches go on about respect and they have the hide to change something that is only allowed time for cultural significance. if this Haka is performed it should just be time on. PI can throw spears if they wish to, but tradition should be traditional, not the Maori word for All Blacks, honestly Kapa O Pango would not be out of place performed by american cheer leaders, its a ridiculos cheer.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
its offensive, and its more offensive when your coaches go on about respect and they have the hide to change something that is only allowed time for cultural significance. if this Haka is performed it should just be time on. PI can throw spears if they wish to, but tradition should be traditional, not the Maori word for All Blacks, honestly Kapa O Pango would not be out of place performed by american cheer leaders, its a ridiculos cheer.

It is performing a Haka that is culturally significant, not the specific Haka. Ka Mate is not the first to be performed, Kapa O Pango is something like the 4th.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

I love both hakas.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
http://www.newzealand.com/travel/me...ture/maori-culture_all-black-haka_feature.cfm

'Kapa o Pango'
Ka mate, Ka mate was the only haka performed by the All Blacks until 2005 when a new haka - Kapa o Pango - was unveiled before a match against South Africa at Carisbrook Stadium, in Dunedin.
Kapa o Pango - written for the All Blacks by Derek Llardelli, an expert haka composer from the Ngati Porou tribe - roughly translates as 'All Blacks', and the haka also makes reference to the silver fern, another Kiwi sporting icon.
The All Blacks won the match against the Springboks 31 - 27, but the new haka prompted criticism because the closing action was misinterpreted by many as a distasteful, throat slitting gesture.
Llardelli , in defence of his composition, was quick to explain that the concluding movement was actually a Māori symbol of drawing vital energy into the body that fitted the spirit of the haka.

- nope, Ka Mate may have changed slightly and be performed differently, but its the traditional version, changing it and changing Maori language while bitching about others respecting you is terrible form.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
http://www.newzealand.com/travel/me...ture/maori-culture_all-black-haka_feature.cfm

'Kapa o Pango'
Ka mate, Ka mate was the only haka performed by the All Blacks until 2005 when a new haka - Kapa o Pango - was unveiled before a match against South Africa at Carisbrook Stadium, in Dunedin.
Kapa o Pango - written for the All Blacks by Derek Llardelli, an expert haka composer from the Ngati Porou tribe - roughly translates as 'All Blacks', and the haka also makes reference to the silver fern, another Kiwi sporting icon.
The All Blacks won the match against the Springboks 31 - 27, but the new haka prompted criticism because the closing action was misinterpreted by many as a distasteful, throat slitting gesture.
Llardelli , in defence of his composition, was quick to explain that the concluding movement was actually a Māori symbol of drawing vital energy into the body that fitted the spirit of the haka.

- nope, Ka Mate may have changed slightly and be performed differently, but its the traditional version, changing it and changing Maori language while bitching about others respecting you is terrible form.

Who bitched about people respecting the All Blacks?!?!? Actual quotes and references please....

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
This?

But Henry's spray about New Zealand's "Public Enemy No.1" at the post-match press conference brought a particularly bitter end to Cooper's six weeks in his native country.

"I think Quade has brought a wee bit of that on himself," Henry said.

"He's got a wee bit of mileage to make up and he probably made up a bit tonight.

"I think you have to earn that respect. He's lost a bit of respect with some of his actions in the previous Test matches. That's natural.

"But he tried very hard tonight, he kept his nose clean which was nice, and he's gained some respect.

"You have to earn respect; you can't just expect respect."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

If that is what it means could you provide a link to that info as I would like to have a look out of interest. As you acknowledge yourself, it can easily be interperated as the slitting of ones throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.