• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If he ever change advance aus fair, we should get someone from eastern Europe to pen the new one, there anthems make me wanna natch across front lines into gun fire

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If he ever change advance aus fair, we should get someone from eastern Europe to pen the new one, there anthems make me wanna natch across front lines into gun fire

That's because they're often born in gunfire and revolution. You can't match that.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Or... We could let the indigenous and not so indigenous peeps spend their energy doing their war dance while we focus on winning rugby. Crazy I know.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Heard this little gem on TGIF on abc radio yesterday. Enjoy. I especially like Tommy Deans take on an american haka and how to avoid being tackled.

Attachments

• TGIF 21_10_11.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 753

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't know anyone who likes the second and third verse of advance Australia fair.

It's a pretty racist national anthem.
To be honest I don't know the second and third verses. I probably don't know words to a lot of Anthems, just decide if I like them by the music a lot of the times. I like the French, Welsh and Saffa ones to, but don't ask me the words.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah thanks for that - when was the last time you heard anyone say it in a sentence?
Girt is a word from the somerset dialect of English, I am not sure it has a precise meaning but I will give you an example of how it is used, 'bugger I er d'ave a girt set of udders on er.' Bear in mind 'er' could just as easily refer to a cow!?!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Girt is a word from the somerset dialect of English, I am not sure it has a precise meaning but I will give you an example of how it is used, 'bugger I er d'ave a girt set of udders on er.' Bear in mind 'er' could just as easily refer to a cow!?!

Other than a cow, to what could you be referring?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Heard this little gem on TGIF on abc radio yesterday. Enjoy. I especially like Tommy Deans take on an american haka and how to avoid being tackled.

An alternate take on the Haka from Septic land

US police use pepper spray to break up haka
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10761179
Police in a small Utah town are being accused of overreacting after using pepper spray to break up a group of Polynesian men and boys performing a haka after a high school football game.

The police action came after a pair of officers unsuccessfully attempted to disperse the dozen or so performers who were blocking an exit after the Union-Uintah game Thursday night, the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune reported.

The group in Roosevelt, a town of 8,000, had traveled about 125 miles east from the Salt Lake City area to watch a relative play his final game for Union, which lost to rival Uintah and finished the season without a victory.

The group reportedly was trying to boost Union's morale with the Haka as the players left the field.

Spectators, coaches and players told police that everything was fine and they should let the men perform, Jessica Rasmussen said, but officers asked them to make room and started using pepper spray.

Rasmussen said she and other bystanders also got spray in their eyes, ears and mouths.
Union fan Jason Kelly said the way police reacted was an embarrassment to the community of Roosevelt.

"I've never seen anything like it," Kelly said. "It was totally unprovoked."

Police said the incident is under investigation, and anyone wanting to lodge a complaint should contact the department.

Police said many people in the crowd knew the group was going to dance, but the two officers and others didn't.

Spectator Shawn Mitchell said while he didn't view the dancers as a threat, the impromptu performance might have played a role in how police responded.

"If they're going to do something like (the Haka), maybe some planning could be done ahead of time," he said.

What are we in for when Rugby 7's starts to take off in the USA in the build up to and post Olympics 2016?

M

monkeybutt

i'd really like the first and second verses sung. Singing the second verse would combat other nations singing their anthems in two languages, or better yet get our indigenous brothers to translate and we can learn it (think it may have already been done). At the conclusion of the haka, all our boys who's origins are other than anglo should reply with their native dance, we can have Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, Moari dances and Kurtley could lead the rest in the aboriginal version, 5 or 6 different ones going at once. that'd put em off a bit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
i'd really like the first and second verses sung. Singing the second verse would combat other nations singing their anthems in two languages, or better yet get our indigenous brothers to translate and we can learn it (think it may have already been done). At the conclusion of the haka, all our boys who's origins are other than anglo should reply with their native dance, we can have Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, Moari dances and Kurtley could lead the rest in the aboriginal version, 5 or 6 different ones going at once. that'd put em off a bit.

one things for sure: the original inhabitants will not be translating anything after the 1st verse

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Great idea. Waste more time before kickoff.

Countries don't have Anthems in two languages to piss off Australian rugby supporters. They do so because of their multiculturalism.

Go to the toilet. Get a beer from the fridge. You can kill a minute in many ways.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, IRB just fined the French for advancing on the haka.
The IRB need too pull there heads out of there arses. Most kiwis including the ABs like and support when the other team advances and challenges.
As long as a punch isnt thrown who cares?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought it was great. They answered a challenge and didn't back down. No one got too close or threw a punch so surely the IRB can put it down to pre match excitement and ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.