• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The defence of Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
it amazes me how negative everyone is about the brumbies before they've played a game.

I think it is disappointment, so much talent and they played even more dire rugby than the Tahs with a prop leading try scorer

T

TOCC

I think it is disappointment, so much talent and they played even more dire rugby than the Tahs with a prop leading try scorer

exactly, and its only inevitable that disappointment will evolve into frustration and criticism as well

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
it amazes me how negative everyone is about the brumbies before they've played a game.

I supported the Brumbies for the last two years (I'm not very tribal about provincial rugby).

Two years was enough. I blame the coaching team. Friend drives me mad. This year I'll be giving the Waratahs a shout, purely because I'm excited about the level of talent they have.

When you can pick a Hickey-coached team over one coached by anyone else, it says a lot for the anyone else.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
please, the Brumbies had Elsom, Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), G.Smith, Moore and Alexander who were all frontline Wallabies at the start of last season, very few other Super14 sides can come close to that core group of players...

Eh?!

The Waratahs had more Wallabies than the Brumbies, and poached more stars in the off season, yet the Brumbies were branded the "Real Madrid" of Super rugby. Go figure.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Absolutely right. We all make a goose of ourselves now and then in the minds of others, as I well know, but those others should not take it personally, as seems to be the case here.

Being fed up does not entitle one to breach forum protocols.

Sorry mate, i'm of the planet rugby breed. Takes some adjusting to post on this forum

T

TOCC

Eh?!

The Waratahs had more Wallabies than the Brumbies, and poached more stars in the off season, yet the Brumbies were branded the "Real Madrid" of Super rugby. Go figure.

signing Elsom and Giteau were bigger coups then signing Barnes and Mitchell at the time..

As for NSW having more Wallabies, well i would argue that the Brumbies had more 'starting' Wallabies in the right positions, but we are digressing. The point is that even with such a calibre of players, the Brumbies dissapointed whereas NSW whilst not winning the competition did at least make the finals.

Also i believe that NSW were also been referred to as AC Milan at the time or something similar by the media, it wasn't just the Brumbies who received the nickname.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
anyone who knows anything about real madrid will know their a team packed with stars that havn't won anything in years. calling the brumbies real madrid was not really saying that'd win anything.

I supported the Brumbies for the last two years (I'm not very tribal about provincial rugby).

Two years was enough. I blame the coaching team. Friend drives me mad. This year I'll be giving the Waratahs a shout, purely because I'm excited about the level of talent they have.

When you can pick a Hickey-coached team over one coached by anyone else, it says a lot for the anyone else.

its nice to see a supporter who'll stick with a team through good and bad times. If you support a team just because they win then please don't come back to the brumbies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
anyone who knows anything about real madrid will know their a team packed with stars that havn't won anything in years. calling the brumbies real madrid was not really saying that'd win anything.

its nice to see a supporter who'll stick with a team through good and bad times. If you support a team just because they win then please don't come back to the brumbies.

Au contraire. I changed from the Waratahs when they were at the top of their game, having just been runners up in the S14, to the Brumbies who were nowhere.

It isn't about winning, and never has been for me. It is about following a team playing rugby I like to watch.

I've never felt remotely like sticking with a Super 14 team through thick and thin. I've followed Gordon that way for 30 years, and the Wallabies. I've sat through a lot of losses in the rain, at some deserted field.

But never a Super team: I like all the Australian teams. Basically I see it as a feeder system for the Wallabies.

What drove me away from the Brumbies is Friend's selection policies. Last year I tore my hair out at his selections. Now I see Giteau at 10 and To'omua on the bench. Simple as that.

For my money To'omua was a RWC squad bolter, until now. Grr. Next it'll be Lilo at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, in order to 'get all the best players on the field'. Mark my words.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm willing to give Giteau one last chance at flyhalf...

I'm trying to be positive as Giteau at flyhalf has brought Robbie Coleman into the starting lineup and that's certainly a pretty bold decision... rather than playing it safe and putting in Tyrone or even To'omua at inside centre...

Friend has also surprised me by playing Vaea and not opting to play Salvi at no. 8 to accommodate another senior player like Fainga'a into the backrow...

These are the kinds of selection decisions that would only have been made in previous years through bigger injury crises...

Maybe Friend's strategies might be realised now that he doesn't have assistant coaches that undermine him?

Who knows...

At least if Giteau isn't playing to his potential then To'omua can be brought in... we'll certainly see on the weekend when To'omua hits the field if there's a boost in the Brumbies' attack...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Slim, if Giteau is in form and the players can make the most of it then the Brumbies can play very well. They certainly have the talent.

But To'omua 10 Giteau 12 seems a far better choice. Then you have both. To'omua is your classic rhythm player, selflessly organising a backline. Giteau could thrive off of that.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm willing to give Giteau one last chance at flyhalf...

What's that old definition of insanity? Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Great to see Coleman get his chance, hopefully he kills it and plays as a good, unselfish 12

With a selfish 10 crabbing into his space? He might not touch the ball all game unless Giteau looks like being tackled by a big flanker.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's that old definition of insanity? Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result...

When Giteau played flyhalf with the Force he sparked some great attacking plays...

As a Brumbies fan I remember too well as he nearly single handedly orchestrated two losses...

I've said all year that it should've been To'omua playing flyhalf... but the decision has been made already...

Bernie is on as attack coach and he might've been able to 'fix' him... probably not... but at least it gives Coleman a chance at inside centre...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Crimes reported that Giteau will have a European deal finalised by the end of the week, but the Oz is reporting:

Matt Giteau signs off on French sojourn

VETERAN Wallabies' playmaker Matt Giteau has ended weeks of speculation by agreeing to terms with French Top14 club Toulon.

Giteau, 28, will join the French club in November after the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand. He is contracted to the Australian Rugby Union until December 31 but the body will not stand in his way.

In a telling sign he wants to extend his Test career, which spans 91 caps to date, the Brumbies linchpin has effectively penned an 18-month deal, which would enable him to return to Australia midway through 2013, in a bid to push for Wallaby selection against the British and Irish Lions in Australia that year.

A number of leading Australian players including Stephen Moore, Berrick Barnes and Drew Mitchell have recently spurned overseas deals with the prospect of playing the Lions in 2013 a major consideration.

Giteau is said to be delighted with finalising the deal before the start of the Brumbies’ Super 15 campaign.

Interestingly veteran England five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson re-signed with Toulon last month which may indicate Giteau would play inside centre, although the Englishman regularly comes off the bench.

Giteau will captain the Brumbies in their season-opener against the Chiefs on Saturday in Canberra with regular skipper Stephen Hoiles being eased back by coach Andy Friend off the bench after a battle with an Achilles injury.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Geez, you think he'd struggle to push for a test spot when he has been out of the spotlight for 18 months - not even playing super rugby that year. To'omua shold be the test 10 by that stage

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Geez, you think he'd struggle to push for a test spot when he has been out of the spotlight for 18 months - not even playing super rugby that year. To'omua shold be the test 10 by that stage

Only if Cooper goes somewhere, and with Gits gone, there is a lump of extra ARU budget available

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

When I said To'omua was a RWC squad bolter, I meant for the squad, not the test 22 or the starting 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.