• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The defence of Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
OK you win....Rocky is an automatic pick because he's captain everyone else is shit...

No, not what I said. I asked you to name who is better. You cannot. As he is also captain, I would say he is an auto-pick.
Feel free to actually read what I posted.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think using Alexander at THP for the Wallabies again is a terrible idea. The Brumbies Mafia, correctly, have stated that he won't be playing at THP, and why would he with Palmer and Ma'afu in the squad?

Some tall THPs like Carl Hayman are able to scrummage on the right hand side of the scrum but Alexander is not able to do so in a low scrum. He goes down too much. We all talk about the need to get the hit with shoulders above hips but the point with Benny is that his arse is too high, too often. It's all very well to say bend the knees more but some props can't do that and prosper.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of the femur in relation to the length of the tibia or some other area in his morphology or musculature that is skew, or maybe his feet are too far back - I don't know.

Agree with the rest of the post.

Just quietly I don't think he was great at LHP in the scrums either last year and nothing I have seen in viewing some of my 2010 Brumbies archived games recently contradict that.

Holy Shit Lee, I just about got lynched for suggesting that last year.

Comes back to the question of selection for a few positions and why certain players are favoured over others. The only logical reason for selection of Alexander on the EOYT last year is IMO the fact that Deans does not rate the scrum as highly as he does the needs of the loose play of props like Alexander. I will not be at all surprised if the exact same squad we saw last year is selected again for the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think using Alexander at THP for the Wallabies again is a terrible idea. The Brumbies Mafia, correctly, have stated that he won't be playing at THP, and why would he with Palmer and Ma'afu in the squad?

Some tall THPs like Carl Hayman are able to scrummage on the right hand side of the scrum but Alexander is not able to do so in a low scrum. He goes down too much. We all talk about the need to get the hit with shoulders above hips but the point with Benny is that his arse is too high, too often. It's all very well to say bend the knees more but some props can't do that and prosper.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of the femur in relation to the length of the tibia or some other area in his morphology or musculature that is skew, or maybe his feet are too far back - I don't know.

Until someone puts his hand up, his workrate makes him most likely and he was not bad in his first year and fit.

I think he may get better now with a scrum coach who teaches scrummaging and not "tricks"

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't think the props are automatic yet but if either one is it would be Robinson, provided he finds some of his 2009 form. If I had to choose a tighthead today it's be Slipper. I think Moore will start ahead of TPN. TPN makes a great impact off the bench but Moore is more dependable, particularly with his lineout throwing. Big Kev is an automatic for me as is Sharpe. Pocock is first picked and Rocky will be an automatic choice with Palu odds on.

Genia, Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor) are automatic in my opinion. Where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor) play is less automatic. Need to fit Barnes amd Mitchell in but Mitchell may be very unlucky and end up on the bench.

Others may get opportunities such as Chambers, Mortlock, Alexander and McCalman.

I see TPN, Alexander, Simmons, Hodgson, Burgess, Giteau and Mitchell as the bench.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Don't think the props are automatic yet but if either one is it would be Robinson, provided he finds some of his 2009 form. If I had to choose a tighthead today it's be Slipper. I think Moore will start ahead of TPN. TPN makes a great impact off the bench but Moore is more dependable, particularly with his lineout throwing. Big Kev is an automatic for me as is Sharpe. Pocock is first picked and Rocky will be an automatic choice with Palu odds on.

Genia, Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Beale, Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor) are automatic in my opinion. Where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor) play is less automatic. Need to fit Barnes amd Mitchell in but Mitchell may be very unlucky and end up on the bench.

Others may get opportunities such as Chambers, Mortlock, Alexander and McCalman.

I see TPN, Alexander, Simmons, Hodgson, Burgess, Giteau and Mitchell as the bench.

i think they would be crazy to drop mitchell to the bench if he keeps his current form, surely a wing pairing of iaone (if he comes back well) and mitchell is much more fearsome than having JOC (James O'Connor) on a wing. if anyone should miss out it should be JOC (James O'Connor) as he covers enough positions to be a supersub and quick feet amoungst tired defence.

i think mortlock has had time pass him by and cant see to much experimentation with chambers etc unless injuries come into it. what we saw at the end of last year was probably how we will go into the cup, just ad palu and iaone.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies and Wallabies playmaker Matt Giteau says he wants to play fly half in 2011 Super Rugby season

* By Ed Logue
* AAP
* February 11, 2011 2:01PM

The 28-year-old Test star, who will play overseas after this year's World Cup in New Zealand, said he enjoyed directing the side from five-eighth.

Last year he never settled at 10 or 12, sharing the five-eighth role with Matt To'omua.

Is Matt Giteau in your Fantasy Super Rugby team? Get him in there before it's too late!

"I would like to play fly half, I did enjoy it out there, I enjoy that sense of control," said Giteau, who also captained the side.

"I guess I had a bit more of a focus of running a bit more and taking opportunities."

It was Giteau's first run of the year following the Wallabies' end of year tour.

By his own lofty standards, the inside back had a patchy 2010 for both the Brumbies and Australia.

It culminated in him being dumped from the Test starting team for the first time in five years for the match against Italy.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend said he was impressed by the former Western Force playmaker's performance.

"Giteau at 10, he set the backline alight and they looked pretty sharp," Friend said.

"From a naked eye, they seemed to perform pretty well, (but) we will reserve our judgement until we look at the tape."

Friend said his side had improved since its 38-5 loss to Queensland Reds six days earlier.

"A lot happier with our physicality, that was lacking and we found that in the first half," he said.

"Our set-piece didn't function overly well last week, tonight it was very, very good our scrum was very sound."

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Seriously. 3 pages on how good/crap Giteau is since last night. Don't you guys have jobs.:lmao:

C

chriss555

So your argument, if I am reading this right, Chriss555, is that comment is not allowed unless one has played at the same, or higher level than the player / coach in question?
OK, Gagger, Moses, we need to shut this thing down now, we are all unqualified!!!
Except Lee, who has seen and known everyone!

The old classic Flight or Fight never been help group quote....

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It was a joke Hence the laughing guy at the end. I will try and type slower for you in future.

C

chriss555

The old classic its not fear never been help group quote
Go the Gits

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Come on Chris Giteau has been dire for the last 3 years at least at Test level and was just as bad for the ponies last year. I said a few times that Giteau was a very good 12, probably the best Oz has had since Horan, rating him above Psycho Grey. BUT in saying that Giteau has never played a good game at 10 against good opposition. IMO he has even struggled at 10 against better S14 sides. If he plays 10 for the ponies this year I fervently hope he is left out of the RWC squad. He needs to play the whole season at 12 and get his mojo back in that position IMO to even be considered in the squad as his attack has been terrible and his defensive leadership of the backline poor. If you want to blow the Giteau trumpet better start posting some RECENT video evidence proving your points. Even the Tom Carter brigade have been able to produce some of the Cart Horse.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can someone explain please to Giteau that there's no stigma in being a better 12 than 10? No-one thinks less of Horan becuase of it. We have some good options at 10 and we don't need a converted 12 there who has struggled for consistent form for 2 or so years; what would be nice is a world class 12 in good consistent form.

C

chriss555

Come on Chris Giteau has been dire for the last 3 years at least at Test level and was just as bad for the ponies last year. I said a few times that Giteau was a very good 12, probably the best Oz has had since Horan, rating him above Psycho Grey. BUT in saying that Giteau has never played a good game at 10 against good opposition. IMO he has even struggled at 10 against better S14 sides. If he plays 10 for the ponies this year I fervently hope he is left out of the RWC squad. He needs to play the whole season at 12 and get his mojo back in that position IMO to even be considered in the squad as his attack has been terrible and his defensive leadership of the backline poor. If you want to blow the Giteau trumpet better start posting some RECENT video evidence proving your points. Even the Tom Carter brigade have been able to produce some of the Cart Horse.

Read the lastest ponies match report, I know Gits needs to front up and if he does thats great for ponies and Aussie rugby gives Robbie more options for the Tri-Nations and RWC... theres an old rugby saying the Past is just that the Past..........its a new year.........
I was at the Tahs game last night and TC played well good on him a good team man... the tahs had alot of depth on display could be our year... JOC (James O'Connor) played well at 10 for the force "gees he's a class act.....another option for Robbie............

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Read the lastest ponies match report, I know Gits needs to front up and if he does thats great for ponies and Aussie rugby gives Robbie more options for the Tri-Nations and RWC... theres an old rugby saying the Past is just that the Past..........its a new year.........
I was at the Tahs game last night and TC played well good on him a good team man... the tahs had alot of depth on display could be our year... JOC (James O'Connor) played well at 10 for the force "gees he's a class act.....another option for Robbie............

I don't trust an obviously biased assesment on Gits performance in a B game. Like I said, put up....... but given your comment I think even you know deep down he has not deserved his Wallabies spot for a long time.

Nobody here has ever said that if he got his mojo back it would be a bad thing, in fact most have wished for it including me. The reason most want to see him back at 12 is because that is where he played his best Rugby and his decline coincided with his moves to 10. It stands to reason that is where he could perform again.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Can someone explain please to Giteau that there's no stigma in being a better 12 than 10? No-one thinks less of Horan becuase of it. We have some good options at 10 and we don't need a converted 12 there who has struggled for consistent form for 2 or so years; what would be nice is a world class 12 in good consistent form.

I would also add in the experiment with Nathan Grey at 10.

C

chriss555

I don't trust an obviously biased assesment on Gits performance in a B game. Like I said, put up....... but given your comment I think even you know deep down he has not deserved his Wallabies spot for a long time.

Nobody here has ever said that if he got his mojo back it would be a bad thing, in fact most have wished for it including me. The reason most want to see him back at 12 is because that is where he played his best Rugby and his decline coincided with his moves to 10. It stands to reason that is where he could perform again.

Playin NZ team`s are know B games ... has beens know that... puting up is about the now 2011 Rugby season not last years footage....... Who will be in that end season Wallabies RWC team thats the ? ................. Robbie would have spoken to selected players in the Mixs... Gits will know wots required of him.... Theres and old rugby saying the team that starts the season may not be the team that finishes the season. Go the Wallabies....

Status
Not open for further replies.