• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The defence of Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The Lions thingo in relation to Giteau is just padding by the reporter IMO. The timing of the Lions tour has to conform to the timing of the end of the Magners League and the English Premiership at the end of May. This means that the Lions start touring in June, and the test matches are from the end of June to the middle of July, roughly.

If Toulon make the Top14 final they won't be finished until the first week in June. Nathan Hines had to decide whether to participate in the 2009 Lions tour or play for Perpignan in the Top14 semi final. He chose the Lions, something that did not sit well with some USAP fans. I doubt if Giteau's contract will allow him to opt out of a T14 semi when all he would be doing would be returning to Oz to press his claims.

Even if Toulon don't make the finals Giteau wouldn't be back in Oz until the middle of May. I don't know what the timetable of Super Rugby will be in a Lions year: maybe it will be shorter and/or they will cut out the two bye weeks, but it suffices to say that he would get a few games in only, and those after a longer season than he has ever known, to date.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Only if Cooper goes somewhere, and with Gits gone, there is a lump of extra ARU budget available

Probably not. Giteau was no chance of getting the money he is on now so that will have already been factored in to what the ARU renegotiations have been with Moore, Mitchell etc.

Agree with you Lee. Giteau is absolutely no chance for a spot against the Lions unless about 5 of our 12's get injured. He won't be back in time to prove himself. Vickerman gets back end-May but he can be trialled in the 3N before the world cup. There's no matches to trial in before the Lions tour.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
When I said To'omua was a RWC squad bolter, I meant for the squad, not the test 22 or the starting 15.

What's your definition of a bolter though? Matt's already been apart of Wallaby squads and has started in the Green and Gold. I don't think too many would be overly suprised to see him named as apart of a squad.

T

TOCC

considering the RWC will probably be around 35+ players im sure we will see quite a few To'omua's in the squad

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What's your definition of a bolter though? Matt's already been apart of Wallaby squads and has started in the Green and Gold. I don't think too many would be overly suprised to see him named as apart of a squad.

Brumbies Guy, I say a bolter because he's suffered from Kingi syndrome - not enough rugby for his abilities.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Brumbies Guy, I say a bolter because he's suffered from Kingi syndrome - not enough rugby for his abilities.

20 Super caps at 20 years old isn't too bad. It's only the O'Connor's and Beale's around atm which make this look slightly less an achievement than it warrants

Status
Not open for further replies.