• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Nothing against Lindfield as a club. Will need clubs as strong as Lindfield for the continued success of Subbies rugby. I have tipped Lindfield the last two games as well. Just because Lindfield win, doesnt mean that the other teams didnt play poorly. You can only play whats in front of you. I feel that Blue Mountains have also not played to their potential in their last few games despite them winning. It is a long season and you cant be at 100% every game. Looking forward to a big end of the year and huge finals series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
In fairness, the ground was in rough shape. Not sure I would have wanted to make the decision on whether to play the second game or not

Let it sing

Stan Wickham (3)
Sean fractured his ankle in Round 2 and Matt Garrow starting fullback did his knee in the trials. I heard both players will be back but won’t be rushed. Has meant the boys have had to blood some graduating Colts whom will only get better for the experience

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 1

Lindfield - Waverley. Will be a good day across the lower grades with some strong teams matching up. In 1's, both teams play a fairly similar game plan, which Waverley have had longer to perfect. Will be a good game for 60, I expect Couch Corner to try to bring Lindfield home. The only time you hear from Lindfield is when they win. However, Waverley will be too strong. Waves by 10
I believe it’s clubby corner and OLD SOLDIER 18+

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Some interesting results in Div 2 today. Newport ran close Pats lost and UNSW demolished Petersham. I think perhaps that is the biggest margin in Div 2 all year?

This has been the most competitive Div 2 has been for years!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Div 4 Round 10

Redfield (8)
v Canterbury (5)
Wakehurst (4) v Raptors (2)
Hornsby (1)
v Kings (7)
Renegades (3) v Chatswood (6)

2/4 - not great tipping but TBH wasn't expecting our guys to start so flat. Chatswood were good in pressuring the breakdown and adapting to the interpretations.

Throw in half our starting pack showing up late, forcing us into changes, and it wasn't our best performance - the second loss to the Stags this year by less than 7 with both sides in the 30s. There's a lesson in that for us!

Last edited:

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
What’s the story at at Petersham this year? Ran last in Div 1 in 2023 and challenged that decision for whatever reason. They now sit last in Barraclough and Richardson Cup. Mid table most other grades and 2nd in Blunt Cup.

Before a ball was kicked this year I had Petersham billed as the club to beat. 10 rounds in and they’re a shadow of their former selves. 1 win from 5 on a double points round at Camperdown - bitter pill to swallow.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
We hosted Petersham in rd 6. I thought they were very solid and played hard across the grades. Their 3s and colts were their highlights but 1s and 2s not far behind. Maybe the stop start nature of the seasons weather has impacted them. They should be playing semis in 2s, 3s and colts.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Some interesting results in Div 2 today. Newport ran close Pats lost and UNSW demolished Petersham. I think perhaps that is the biggest margin in Div 2 all year?

This has been the most competitive Div 2 has been for years!

Hills beating St Pats was huge.

The battle for the four is Div 2 is well and truly alive.

Newport 38
St Pats 23
Hills. 23
Briars. 18
UNSW. 18
Beecroft 14

Hills vs Briars and UNSW vs Newport are the outstanding wet weather games.

Looking at St Pats their run home is Briars, Beecroft, UNSW & Newport. Depending on the wet weather results they will need to win at least two but most likely 3 of them to guarantee a semi. The season continues to throw up surprises.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The season continues to throw up surprises.

And some double points games in different divisions makes it even more unpredictable.

TeamPWDLDfBPPts
Hornsby9900393945
Western Raptors10811265842
Renegades1051431830
Wakehurst9405-145218
Canterbury9306-73517
Chatswood6303-57315
Redfield9108-15737
Kings8107-25726

Hornsby will play Chatswood at some point, probably midweek as Chatswood's dance card is full. Otherwise they've got only Raptors at Mittigar next Saturday to trouble them, which could be important to Minor Premiership and Club Championship Calculations. The other games they should win pretty comfortably - Redfield (H), Canterbury (H), and Wakehurst (A).

Raptors at home to Hornsby, then Chatswood (A), Renegades (A), Kings (H) mean they're pretty safe for 2nd IMHO, and maybe even First if they can take all 4.

Renegades are going to need to fight for a finals place with Canterbury (A), Wakehurst (A), Raptors (H), and Redfield (A) to go. We were very close to beating Chatswood both times, and Raptors at Mittigar. The Field Of Dreams won't trouble the Raptors as most of them have been there before - some in Renegades colours!

Wakehurst have looked a bit inconsistent with numbers, forfeting Colts and 2s on the weekend, and only 19 playing First Grade. They've got Kings (A - double points), Renegades (H), Chatswood (A), Hornsby (H) to go. A couple of wins in R11 and R12 and they could also be a contender.

Berries aren't doing as well in First Grade as they are in Second Grade, and with Renegades (H), King (H), Hornsby (A), Chatswood (H - double points) will be striving to jump into 4th spot with at least 3 wins.

Chatswood - having FOUR games to make up, will play double points in two of them - Redfield and Canterbury. I think they can beat both sides with a BP and jump 20 points. The other two games are Kings and Hornsby, and I think the Stags reasonably think they can take 5 points away from Kings but Hornsby might be a bridge too far at this point. Still, +25 points onto their current standings puts them in third on 40 points, just behind Raptors on 42.

At this point I don't think Redfield have the gas left in the tank to make top 4, and will be planning for a better 2025.

Kings could grab 15 points with wins over Wakehurst (double) and Chatswood, however they suffered a huge loss to Chatswood in R1 and while I don't see another 50+ margin, I think the Chatswood forward pack has the size and skill to deliver.

1 Hornsby
2 Raptors
3 Chatswood
4 Renegades

Last edited:

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Doesn’t seem to be a rush from anyone to replay their washed out games. The preference seems to be to play as many double points rounds as possible as Petersham found out yesterday could bite you for finals if your on the wrong side of it.

Div 1 has the luxury of an extra Wet Weather weekend but a washout in a few weeks could leave a number of clubs scrambling to play multiple games in a short period before the end of the season. Wondering if Subbies will step in and schedule games for clubs to ensure they get played.