• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Div 2

Hills vs Briars:
Hills coming of the bye should be fresh and this one is a real 50/50. A crucial game for both teams who are currently 3rd and 4th and a win here will give them some distance up the ladder from UNSW and Petersham, who will both look to come home hard in the 2nd rd. I think Hills have it in them to beat Briars and if they do it will be through the set piece. If they can dominate that battle they can strangle Briars excitement machines in the backs and grind out a win in the wet. Hills by 5

Beecroft vs Petersham: Beecroft almost pulled off the upset of the season last week against St Pats and if they can reproduce that form should prove a handful for the Shammies. But, Petersham have too much to play for and this is must win, will go with them to get home late by 7.

St Pats vs Newport: As mentioned earlier Breakers have 30+ unavailable this week but their 1st grade side still looks very solid even with 6 changes. It has the potential to be a tough day out for Newport but am going to go with them to defend their way to victory. A lot will depend on just how wet it is and what it does to Newport's running game but for me it is Newport by 1.

wisemaan

Banned
Div 2

Hills vs Briars:
Hills coming of the bye should be fresh and this one is a real 50/50. A crucial game for both teams who are currently 3rd and 4th and a win here will give them some distance up the ladder from UNSW and Petersham, who will both look to come home hard in the 2nd rd. I think Hills have it in them to beat Briars and if they do it will be through the set piece. If they can dominate that battle they can strangle Briars excitement machines in the backs and grind out a win in the wet. Hills by 5

Beecroft vs Petersham: Beecroft almost pulled off the upset of the season last week against St Pats and if they can reproduce that form should prove a handful for the Shammies. But, Petersham have too much to play for and this is must win, will go with them to get home late by 7.

St Pats vs Newport: As mentioned earlier Breakers have 30+ unavailable this week but their 1st grade side still looks very solid even with 6 changes. It has the potential to be a tough day out for Newport but am going to go with them to defend their way to victory. A lot will depend on just how wet it is and what it does to Newport's running game but for me it is Newport by 1.
Cant agree more

The analysis provides a detailed breakdown of each matchup, considering team form, player availability, and playing conditions. Here's a summary of the predictions:

1. Hills vs Briars: The match is expected to be evenly contested, with both teams vying for a crucial win. Hills is tipped to prevail by 5 points, relying on their set piece dominance to control the game.
  2. Beecroft vs Petersham: Beecroft's strong performance in the previous week indicates they could pose a challenge to Petersham. However, Petersham's urgency for a win might give them the edge, securing victory by 7 points.
  3. St Pats vs Newport: Despite Newport facing player availability issues, they're predicted to rely on their defensive prowess to secure a narrow victory, potentially by 1 point.
These predictions consider factors such as recent performance, team dynamics, and weather conditions, which can significantly influence match outcomes.

Yours in sporting reason, A Sane Observer

-wisemaan

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
The infamous snorters reserve. Where the abuse of opposition teams, supporters and officials is tolerated on a weekly basis.

Melwood and Lapstone Oval not far behind.
Anyone from Petersham on here and want to share their experience last week at Porters? Heure has a strong view. I wonder if in 2024 it’s still the shared experience of visiting clubs?

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
UNSW vs Epping was abandoned with 10-15 minutes to go in the Blunt Cup match. Looking at a rescheduled date, likely mid-week as UNSW have wet weather booked already against Petersham.

Youngseward

Frank Row (1)
What the hell is this all about???

I dont think it made The Roar, but I do remember Sydney Irish kicking a Chatswood player in the face, then sucker punching a player and breaking his jaw.

I guess you reap what you sow.

SticksXI

Bob McCowan (2)
Berries travelled all the way to Chatswood today to be told 20m before kickoff that games would be cancelled

I can imagine not an easy decision for chatswood considering it was
a) old boys day
b) apparently the council said if any ground damage was to occur it would cost them 5k

Makes you wonder why a Colts game still happened and why when we contacted them earlier in the day it was still on

Frustrating day when all the other fixtures in subbies (bar 3 from what I saw) went on

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Berries travelled all the way to Chatswood today to be told 20m before kickoff that games would be cancelled

I can imagine not an easy decision for chatswood considering it was
a) old boys day
b) apparently the council said if any ground damage was to occur it would cost them 5k

Makes you wonder why a Colts game still happened and why when we contacted them earlier in the day it was still on

Frustrating day when all the other fixtures in subbies (bar 3 from what I saw) went on

Mate, it happened at alot of grounds. Unfortunately you were in an interesting predicament with Chatswood hosting two clubs. We went to UNSW and the rain hit in the Colts game between UNSW and Hunters Hill. Then there was a womens game between UNSW and Irish. It pushed our fixture against UNSW back. We played fourth grade, which could have been called. We played third grade, which probably should have been called, and in fact was abandoned with 10-15 minutes remaining. Then we had to call the second grade game, even though the boys had been through the full warmup. If the game had been played at the normal time of 2pm, we may have gotten to the game. But these things happen.

Honestly, who would have guessed the amount of rain that fell between 1-3.

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)
Mate, it happened at alot of grounds. Unfortunately you were in an interesting predicament with Chatswood hosting two clubs. We went to UNSW and the rain hit in the Colts game between UNSW and Hunters Hill. Then there was a womens game between UNSW and Irish. It pushed our fixture against UNSW back. We played fourth grade, which could have been called. We played third grade, which probably should have been called, and in fact was abandoned with 10-15 minutes remaining. Then we had to call the second grade game, even though the boys had been through the full warmup. If the game had been played at the normal time of 2pm, we may have gotten to the game. But these things happen.

Did you call first grade too? Ha ha ha...

SticksXI

Bob McCowan (2)

Yeah it's understandable as much as it is frustrating
Can sympathise with the club not wanting to risk a 5k fine from the council

None the less frustrating having to drive across Sydney in that weather for no game

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
3.15PM. Yeah it had rained for three hours by then, but so what? ;)

1717238215479.png