• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Strong tipping EC all though I’d say these games a fairly pickable at this stage of the year. Margins weren’t too far off besides your HH. What happened there ?
Wet conditions throw up some many variables. Forest played a good game, however whenever they got into the 22 would lose possession and HH capitalized on every opportunity. Great performances across the day. Also great to have a few juniors who stuck around despite the weather.

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
On a quite weekend in Subbies land. What makes the best ground? What is the best ground in Subbies?

Pfitzy will tell us it’s the field of Dreams, which is an amazing surface and ground. But do other factors come into it? Like facilities, accessibility, parking, quality of fence, clubhouse etc.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy will tell us it’s the field of Dreams, which is an amazing surface and ground. But do other factors come into it? Like facilities, accessibility, parking, quality of fence, clubhouse etc.

That's the real issue for newer clubs: facilities.

I'd back our playing surface against pretty much everyone in terms of drainage and quality - tho Balmain seem to have benefited from the work done to Leichardt #2.

What we lack is a club house on the ground. The nature of community sport now is shared facilities, and unless you started with a bit of private land and/or a shitload of money, you're unlikely to ever achieve that. Those days are long gone.

Maybe if I win a stack of cash in Powerball I can convice the various bodies that Renegades deserve their own setup (which will simultaneously claim my marriage ;) ), but that is deeply unpopular with Councils who need to squeeze every minute out of the grounds they have.

Hills Council are getting a pushback against their original proposal for Castle Hill Pony Club to be given to Eastwood on both environmental and community grounds - which is ironic given a Pony Club is hardly all-inclusive, or environmentally friendly.

Upgrades to amenities are possible, but it is likely we would still have to share with someone, whether it be TAFE Polecats during regular season, or the Jersey Flegg squad at Eels, local high school league, etc. That's the nature of either Council-run facilities, or our situation where Parra get a nice precinct provided they allocate enough to community sport.

The amenities are currently still what they were 5 years ago when Junior Soccer had the pitch: small change rooms, one shower each. It is due for upgrade once everything else in the facility is done, and will depend on how much money is left (Parra Eels Centre of Excellence and Community Grandstand on Fields 3 & 4 underway now) .

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
On a quite weekend in Subbies land. What makes the best ground? What is the best ground in Subbies?

Has anyone been to all of them? I can barely get away from our games so mostly been to places as a referee.

You'd have to think First Division have an advantage here, tho having been to Hunters Hill, Lindfield, and Colleagues they're all a little bit on the aged side. Boronia upgrade will be interesting.

I like St Ives. Surface is generally OK, clubhouse is great - something to which we aspire, noting the limitations above of any possibility.

Ultimately I think "best" depends on your pov: if you're an Old Boy chugging beers then clubhouse means the most :) If you're a player then you're probably looking at playing surface + hot showers first ;)

The Wombat

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree, Waverley is a great set up with plenty of bars nearby to carry on to after.

Never rated Colleagues ground very much.

Knox’s ground is absolutely rubbish,

I quite like Hawk Ag, shame they‘re no longer around.

Petersham has lots of vantage points and eating options. Parking sucks though.

Mosman has a great club house although the change rooms are aging and council has been holding up needed refreshes.

I have to say, Newport is way up there with the beach views and cauldron-like atmosphere. Too bad the actual playing surface is shaky.

Drummoyne has to be up there with good facilities and on the water.

Blue Mountains is average, loses points for frigid conditions.

If you came away from playing at Beecroft without blowing out an ankle, it was a good day

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Of the current Subbies clubs I’ve been to 35 out of the 43 grounds.

Just missing
Oatley
North Cronulla
Burraneer
Maccabi
Western Raptors
Chatswood
Harlequins
Mosman

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2 Round 1 Review

Newport: Undefeated in Barraclough, top of the comp in Colts and top 4 across the other grades. Has been a stellar start to the season with an influx of young talent, but with 4 from 7 on the road in Rd 2 gets tough with rough away games to UNSW, Petersham and Briars. Barring injuries I expect them to be in the finals across the grades with 1s and Colts their best chances of Premiership glory.

St Pats: Top in 2s, 3s and 4s they have big bodies throughout the grades and are on a mission to return to the top Div. They will fancy their chances in every grade with 2's looking their best best. Two tough away games to finish their season against UNSW and Newport could decide the club champs but they will be very content at the halfway mark as to how the club has transitioned to Div 2. Discipline appears their weakness with yellow cards a plenty.

Petersham: A mixed start for the Shammies with a tough away draw set to be rectified in Rd 2 with 5 from 7 at home. I haven't yet written them off in 1s and they have a game in hand UNSW. 3s and Colts look like their best chances however with 5/7 at home expect all grades to come home firing.

UNSW: Rain impacted with several catch up games to come. Another club that spent much of 1st round on the road and will benefit with a 5/7 home game stretch. Form has been up and down and with a catch up game against Petersham will be interesting to see if they go for the double points. Best chances are Colts and 3s but to regain momentum it starts next Saturday hosting Newport. With a strong performance their I can see UNSW turning the corner, if not, it could be a long round 2 for the students.

Hills: I sense big trouble at Yattenden. Their first grade side is solid but it slips away quickly from there and they are sadly a shell of what they were as a club a few years ago. Hopefully they can hold it together for the rest of 2024 for a rebuild in the offseason as they are a proud club. Only chance is for a semi's appearance in Barraclough.

Briars: The dissapointment of round 1 after some early season hope and speculation. Plenty of players, many with big bodies but struggle to compete across the grades. Best chances are 1s and 4s and may spring a few upsets along the way in the lower grades. Have a wet weather game in hand against Hills which could well decide semis spot.

Beecroft: Struggling for numbers with a mid round forefeit of 3rd grade for the season. That said their 1st grade have been very competitive and they should have beaten both Hills & St Pats. They are my smokey for 4th spot in Barraclough with a big pack and decent backline on their day capable of challenging most. Beecroft 1s and Colts could ruin a few clubs run home to the finals.

Epping: I was one who agreed with subbies decision to not field a 1st grade. Destroying Epping as a club would have made zero sense and allowing them to rebuild through lower grade particpation is best for all. They have been competitve and have been able to field 3 sides for most of the round and can hopefully hold it to season end. Best bet for glory is their 4th grade.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 4 Mid Season Rankings

Hornsby - Strongest club in the division by a long way. They have numbers to burn and play fast, structured rugby which has blown away most clubs at this level. I really don’t see anyone getting close to them in 1sts however their 2nds are a bit weaker but will still be in the mix come finals time. If they can sort out a colts side they a prime candidate for Div 3.

2. Western Raptors - When Raptors come with numbers they’ve proven very hard to beat this year often overpowering teams with big bodies and are a nightmare to play at home especially. Have a few question marks with numbers at away games which could get worse as the season progresses. Likely finalists in both grades numbers permitting.

3. Renegades - Really built strongly over the last few weeks with indications of strong numbers across the grades which is good signs for the back end. Their first grade side especially has taken a step up with Fijian flair in the forwards backed up with the addition by some guns in the backline making them a menacing threat for anyone in this division. If they can sort out defensive lapses they’re a strong contender in both grades.

4. Canterbury - The berries have been strong at times this year with a big Fijian contingent which has been hard for some sides to match. They have really been trying to target second grade this year, could be strong contenders there. First grade seems to be missing a bit of top end structure and quality to be serious contenders there.

5. Kings - Decent numbers throughout the year has seen them have reasonable success in this division. Second grade has proven a challenge for most clubs this year winning games through fitness and structure. Unfortunately, first grade lacks too much quality to do much damage this year. Will be interesting to see if Euro holidays affect Kings in the back end.

6. Wakehurst/Brothers - Lack of numbers has been a real killer for this club this season. They’re almost entirely reliant on their colts side to field a second grade every week so they’ll be unlikely to field a second grade away from home for the rest of the year. First grade aren’t a bad side but lack quality to compete with the top clubs.

7. Redfield - Certainly turning into a tough rebuilding year for the traditionally strong club. The quality is okay throughout the club but a lack of numbers has made consistency a near impossible task for the club this year. Only hope is that numbers improve so either grade can make a push for finals however that is unlikely.

8. Chatswood - Ranked last however are missing a couple games due to washouts. First grade side isn’t bad this year and could be a chance for the last finals spot if they can win their games in hand. Second grade however looks unlikely to make finals at this stage.

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Div 2 Round 1 Review

Newport: Undefeated in Barraclough, top of the comp in Colts and top 4 across the other grades. Has been a stellar start to the season with an influx of young talent, but with 4 from 7 on the road in Rd 2 gets tough with rough away games to UNSW, Petersham and Briars. Barring injuries I expect them to be in the finals across the grades with 1s and Colts their best chances of Premiership glory.

St Pats: Top in 2s, 3s and 4s they have big bodies throughout the grades and are on a mission to return to the top Div. They will fancy their chances in every grade with 2's looking their best best. Two tough away games to finish their season against UNSW and Newport could decide the club champs but they will be very content at the halfway mark as to how the club has transitioned to Div 2. Discipline appears their weakness with yellow cards a plenty.

Petersham: A mixed start for the Shammies with a tough away draw set to be rectified in Rd 2 with 5 from 7 at home. I haven't yet written them off in 1s and they have a game in hand UNSW. 3s and Colts look like their best chances however with 5/7 at home expect all grades to come home firing.

UNSW: Rain impacted with several catch up games to come. Another club that spent much of 1st round on the road and will benefit with a 5/7 home game stretch. Form has been up and down and with a catch up game against Petersham will be interesting to see if they go for the double points. Best chances are Colts and 3s but to regain momentum it starts next Saturday hosting Newport. With a strong performance their I can see UNSW turning the corner, if not, it could be a long round 2 for the students.

Hills: I sense big trouble at Yattenden. Their first grade side is solid but it slips away quickly from there and they are sadly a shell of what they were as a club a few years ago. Hopefully they can hold it together for the rest of 2024 for a rebuild in the offseason as they are a proud club. Only chance is for a semi's appearance in Barraclough.

Briars: The dissapointment of round 1 after some early season hope and speculation. Plenty of players, many with big bodies but struggle to compete across the grades. Best chances are 1s and 4s and may spring a few upsets along the way in the lower grades. Have a wet weather game in hand against Hills which could well decide semis spot.

Beecroft: Struggling for numbers with a mid round forefeit of 3rd grade for the season. That said their 1st grade have been very competitive and they should have beaten both Hills & St Pats. They are my smokey for 4th spot in Barraclough with a big pack and decent backline on their day capable of challenging most. Beecroft 1s and Colts could ruin a few clubs run home to the finals.

Epping: I was one who agreed with subbies decision to not field a 1st grade. Destroying Epping as a club would have made zero sense and allowing them to rebuild through lower grade particpation is best for all. They have been competitve and have been able to field 3 sides for most of the round and can hopefully hold it to season end. Best bet for glory is their 4th grade.
Heavy D it looks like a shoot out between Newport and Pats for the Club Champs, if it works out in your favour are Newport keen for the step up?
Based off the bashing that Lindfield have got on here I wouldn’t envy anyone taking the step up. It’s a tough jump and it’s getting even tougher. Maybe clubs need immunity from demotion for the first year if they meet the requirements of that division?
I think St Pats would be crazy to want to go back up now the dust has settled, better being at the top of a division than the bottom.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Heavy D it looks like a shoot out between Newport and Pats for the Club Champs, if it works out in your favour are Newport keen for the step up?
Based off the bashing that Lindfield have got on here I wouldn’t envy anyone taking the step up. It’s a tough jump and it’s getting even tougher. Maybe clubs need immunity from demotion for the first year if they meet the requirements of that division?
I think St Pats would be crazy to want to go back up now the dust has settled, better being at the top of a division than the bottom.
I'm not having a go at Newport because their start to the year has been outstanding but if they have forfeited a 4th grade game already in 2024 they won't be able to keep up in Div 1 unless some serious work goes into recruitment and retention.

It doesn't seem like any of the Div 2 clubs are capable of moving up.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Still a long way to go but it is my understanding that if Newport do win the CC's they will be expecting to go into Div 1 next year.

SubbiesSoftie

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not having a go at Newport because their start to the year has been outstanding but if they have forfeited a 4th grade game already in 2024 they won't be able to keep up in Div 1 unless some serious work goes into recruitment and retention.

It doesn't seem like any of the Div 2 clubs are capable of moving up.
Have to agree with this. A few clubs in Division 1 are proving Subbies place a higher priority on number of players at a club, not number of wins the club totals. Colleagues a beneficiary of this rule in the last few years. Certainly the performance gap between the top 5 Division 1 clubs and the rest of both Div 1 and 2 is concerning.

Plenty of issues for NSW Subbies to deal with, not too many obvious solutions.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep it
Have to agree with this. A few clubs in Division 1 are proving Subbies place a higher priority on number of players at a club, not number of wins the club totals. Colleagues a beneficiary of this rule in the last few years. Certainly the performance gap between the top 5 Division 1 clubs and the rest of both Div 1 and 2 is concerning.

Plenty of issues for NSW Subbies to deal with, not too many obvious solutions.

Id take a 6 team comp with Whales, Forest, Lindfield, St Pats and UNSW in it in a heartbeat. 3 games within 30mins would make a nice change to the 1hr+ every other club is away. Would be pretty even comp too.