• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What schools from the around the area do you draw from Pftizy?

We don't, really. I've tried to establish communications and form relationships but the poor teachers running Rugby programs are very busy people. I'm also a very busy person so getting to them during school time or Rugby events in any fashion has been difficult.

Some of the boys we have at the moment are Arndell College, as one of our guys works there. We also have William Clarke College just around the corner but no joy there yet.

Oakhill isn't that far away, but it might as well be the moon; everyone there seems to want a run at Eastwood, and I understand the current Rugby Master is a Beecroft coach, so probably picks up the rest.

If I can get in front of some of the WCC lads and pick up a few forwards there, plus a few more through my contact at Arndell, with some local league kids to bolster the backline, Colts 2025 could be very good.

Getting the 2023 graduates would be ideal as a team composed purely of 18yo would find it physically tough

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Alfred Walker (16)
We don't, really. I've tried to establish communications and form relationships but the poor teachers running Rugby programs are very busy people. I'm also a very busy person so getting to them during school time or Rugby events in any fashion has been difficult.

Some of the boys we have at the moment are Arndell College, as one of our guys works there. We also have William Clarke College just around the corner but no joy there yet.

Oakhill isn't that far away, but it might as well be the moon; everyone there seems to want a run at Eastwood, and I understand the current Rugby Master is a Beecroft coach, so probably picks up the rest.

If I can get in front of some of the WCC lads and pick up a few forwards there, plus a few more through my contact at Arndell, with some local league kids to bolster the backline, Colts 2025 could be very good.

Getting the 2023 graduates would be ideal as a team composed purely of 18yo would find it physically tough
Righto interesting. The Hills is a pretty strong rugby area, relative to the rest of Sydney. Hope you end up finding some success. Have you heard about that Schools championship being run up their?

You could try entice some of those lower grade Oakhill players to renegades.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Oakhill's rugby program has improved out of sight! This year their 1st XV have beaten Riverview, Joeys, Barker & Knox. Seriously impressive stuff. Hope it continues.

Maddo

Frank Row (1)

Hi Pfitzy, love your work on this forum. The current Rugby Master (ex Joeys) is new at Oakhill and is not a Beecroft coach. A ex Oakhill teacher and past Oakhill 1st XV coach, coaches at Beecroft.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Stan Wickham (3)
Will get in early with my Div 3 predictions for this round.

Div 3, Round 7:

Knox vs Merrylands:
Game of the round for me. The Knox boys thumped LCOI last week and need a win against one of the heavyweights to prove they're serious contenders this year, whilst Merrylands continue to chug along and haven't lost since going down by 3 to a still undefeated Irish all the way back in round 1. Whilst Knox might be able to rattle some cages with a disciplined well drilled approach, I'll take Merrylands at home by a score. Merrylands by 7.

Sydney Irish vs Hawkesbury Valley:
Irish going on the road and dismantling Sydney Harbour last week was enough for me to stamp them at competition favourites at this point. You never know which Valley will turn up on any given Saturday but I don't see the undefeated Irish copping their first loss this week - especially not at home on turf. Irish by 17.

Lane Cove Old Ignations vs Sydney Harlequins:
Very worrying signs for the Joint Venture going from a 11-5 halftime deficit against Knox on Saturday to a 65-5 drubbing by the final whistle. The Quinns have been successful albeit a touch unconvincing to start the year, but they will handily take care of business on the road this week. Quinns by 17.

Old Barker vs. Sydney Harbour:
Whilst some cracks have started to show in the previously impervious shell of Harbour (losses to Irish and Merrylands), BOBs dont seem like the team to take advantage of them. With just 1 bonus point through 5 games, you have to wonder if theyll pick up a win this year... maybe next time out against LCOI. I do think they can hang around for a little while in this one though. Harbour by 10.

Season Record:
7/8 tips.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll go early as well on Div 4:

Chatswood v Canterbury - really depends which Canterbury side shows up. Chatswood suffered a bit of a blow against Wakehurst last week but at home they'll be looking to turn that around. Home side narrowly.

Kings v Raptors - this promises to be a bit one-sided unless the promised heavy showers even things out a bit. Kings had a few slips against Redfield but Raptors will look to punch holes in them and win comfortably.

Renegades v Redfield - ROBRs got on the board last week against a misfiring Kings side. We managed a draw with Raptors despite crap training and new personnel. I never count out Redfield, even if their numbers and performances are a little down, but we need this one.

Hornsby v Wakehurst - this will be another50+ score for Hornsby who will be cruising into the break with maximum points and a +300 differential.

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
I'll go early as well on Div 4:

Hornsby v Wakehurst - this will be another50+ score for Hornsby who will be cruising into the break with maximum points and a +300 differential.
Pfitzy thoughts on Hornsby grading? They seem very dominant in 1s but do they have the numbers to go up a division nexT year. They could be in a Sydney Harbour bost with quantity vs quality.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy thoughts on Hornsby grading? They seem very dominant in 1s but do they have the numbers to go up a division nexT year. They could be in a Sydney Harbour bost with quantity vs quality.

Their first grade is quite good. Young, fit, cohesive. Clearly played together a fair bit.

Their 2nd grade not as dominant but decent numbers. I'm told they're close to 3 grades and some of their juniors will be ready for Colts in coming years.

Could they move up? I reckon, but it depends what the shape of the division is - Colts is a big question mark.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Im hearing Beecroft arent contesting 3rd grade again this week against Petersham. Potentially not for the remainder of the year? Any confirmation on this rumour?

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Im hearing Beecroft arent contesting 3rd grade again this week against Petersham. Potentially not for the remainder of the year? Any confirmation on this rumour?
They've been removed from the Blunt ladder and the draw on Subbies website too, including the 1 or 2 games they did play. That'd be a fairly strong indication.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
What does this do for Div 2 in 2025? Epping wont be there, Beecroft 1's are competitive however dont have the depth, Hills without colts?

Is this where hopefully Penrith, Hornsby and maybe a Harlequins, Irish or Knox? could come to the rescue, otherwise it might be a 5 team comp.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
What does this do for Div 2 in 2025? Epping wont be there, Beecroft 1's are competitive however dont have the depth, Hills without colts?

Is this where hopefully Penrith, Hornsby and maybe a Harlequins, Irish or Knox? could come to the rescue, otherwise it might be a 5 team comp.
And the further problem is you have clubs like Newport, Petersham, St Pat's and UNSW who are working overtime to meet the required number of grades but every other week need to find meaningless Halligan cup games or tell 30+ players (who may have paid subs) they don't have a game through not fault of theirs. It seems pretty obvious that a divisional overhaul is required because you can't expect clubs to grow in the current climate. The clubs you have listed all have decent numbers in their division but will they realistically have 4 grades and colts this time next year? damned if you do and damned if you don't.