• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Heard Newport will want to stay in Div2 next year any update on this heavyD?
The question should be does Knox want to move up or are they happy in Div 3. With Epping Beecroft and Hills not fielding all grades this year surely at least Epping and Beecroft are going to be dropped potentially past Div 3. This will leave a hole in Div 2 that needs to be filled

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pfitzy any update on when the catch up games for Div 5 will be played?
Two wins for Oatley could put them into 2nd which seems crazy to pass up.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Final Round throwing up some great stories in Division 2.

Firstly, congratulations to Newport clinching the Club Championship. A very fit unit of lads running around. Well done on your wins in 2s and 3s.

Barraclough: Newport guaranteed to claim the minor premiership. Hills and Briars battle it out with the winner guaranteed in and the loser hoping results go their way or they can pick up two bonus points. UNSW waiting to see what happens. St Pats needing the BP win at Newport in the toughest road trip in Subbies. Newport wont forget that Pats were sprouting their dominance over the division at the start of the year. Beecroft needing a BP win over a resurgent Petersham, who despite losing last start scored 48 points.
My prediction: 1. Newport; 2. Hills; 3. Briars; 4. Beecroft; 5. UNSW; 6. St Pats; 7. Petersham
Stockdale: Newport and St Pats battle it out for the minor premiership. UNSW finish third regardless of their result against Epping, however, the Rams need a win to secure fourth place (game is for double points). Petersham will look to dominate Beecroft, secure the BP and hope the other result goes their way. Hills and Briars playing for pride.
My prediction: 1. Newport; 2. St Pats; 3. UNSW; 4. Epping; 5. Petersham; 6. Hills; 7. Beecroft; 8. Briars
Robertson (Colts): Again a top of the table clash between Newport and Pats, however, Pats have secured the minor premiership. UNSW play HH2 with a win locking 3rd place; Petersham are locked into semis but will want to prove it against Beecroft. Colleagues II and Briars playing to avoid the bottom of the table
My prediction: 1. St Pats; 2. Newport; 3. UNSW; 4. Petersham; 5. Beecroft; 6. Hunters Hill 2; 7. Briars; 8. Colleagues 2
Blunt: Another minor premiership battle between Newport and St Pats. Petersham with the bye are locked into third. UNSW have fourth place locked down.
My prediction: 1. Newport; 2. St Pats; 3. Petersham; 4. UNSW; 5. Hills; 6. Epping; 7. Briars
Richardson: Top of the table clash at Porter, however, Pats have the minor premiership. Second place is up for grabs if Newport lose and don't collect any BP. An Epping win over UNSW will see them leapfrog the Breakers. Briars will be hoping for a Rams win and a win themselves over Hills. Interestingly though, UNSW have played an extra game in this comp.
My prediction: 1. St Pats; 2. Epping; 3. Newport; 4. Briars; 5. UNSW; 6. Hills; 7. Petersham
Good luck to all teams involved. Division 2 has been a great competition. Well done to the Breakers who will no doubt be looking forward to the challenge of Division 1 next year.
Almost.....
Barraclough: Newport vs Briars; Hills vs UNSW
Stockdale: Newport vs St Pats; UNSW vs Epping
Robertson: St Pats vs Newport; UNSW vs Petersham
Blunt: St Pats vs Newport; Petersham vs UNSW
Richardson: St Pats vs Newport; Epping vs UNSW
Major semi finals to be played at Rothwell Park (Newport, Briars & St Pats); minor semi finals to be played at Yattenden Park (Hills, UNSW, Epping & Petersham). An unlucky Beecroft the only club not represented in finals.

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Final round in Division 3 throws up some spice as well. Three clubs genuinely in contention for the club championship with Knox ahead by 30 and 46 over Merrylands and Sydney Irish, respectively.
Clark: Merrylands travel to Knox with the minor premiership on their mind. A win here could double down their minor premiership and club championship. Irish travel to Valley, which is by no means a guaranteed win. Harbour should be too good for Barker, locking in third place. Quins, after forfeiting to Merrylands and then posting a pic to their socials of the players enjoying a beer at the pub, will look for a pride win over LCOi.
My prediction: 1. Merrylands; 2. Irish; 3. Harbour; 4. Knox; 5. Valley; 6. Harlequins; 7. LCOI; 8. Barker
Farrant: Irish probably will be too good for Valley to lock down top spot, however, Valley have secured their post season. Knox will look to knock off Merrylands to secure the club championship. Harbour , Baker, Harlequins and LCOI, playing for pride, although the fixture between Quins and LCOI might be a game of cat and mouse to see who forfeits first.
My prediction: 1. Irish; 2. Merrylands; 3. Knox; 4. Valley; 5. Harbour; 6. Barker; 7. Harlequins; 8. LCOI
Nicholson: Knox, out and out minor premiers and looking for an undefeateed season, should do the job on Chatswood. LCOI should be too much for Wakehurst but will want those numbers back in a hurry to secure second. Easts, I mean Harbour, will be too much for a gallant Mac Uni and Hawkesbury Valley will lap the trying Brothers.
My prediction: 1. Knox; 2. LCOI; 3. Easts Harbour; 4. Balley; 5. Wakehurst; 6. Chatswood; 7. Mac Uni; 8. Brothers

I think Knox win second grade and colts, and that's enough for them to secure the Division 3 club championship. After Colts, they will be ahead by 70; a win in second grade puts them up by 118, but Merrylands win first grade with the bonus point and miss the CC by a measly 8 points.
Update
Clark: Knox with the 'upset' win over Merrylands threw this one out and landed them the CC. Irish vs Merrylands; Harbour vs Knox
Farrant: as predicted Irish vs Merrylands; Knox vs Valley
Nicholson (Colts): as predicted; Knox vs LCOI; Harbour vs Valley
So next week at Hassall Park, we'll see both Colts game from 10:45 then minor semis; and David Phillips Field will host the Irish vs Merrylands major semi finals.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pfitzy any update on when the catch up games for Div 5 will be played?
Two wins for Oatley could put them into 2nd which seems crazy to pass up.

I haven't even looked at it TBH. That's the comp admin's problem :)

At this point it doesn't look like happening and from what I can see in FuseSports, the finals are decided.

1722771971249.png

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Heard Newport will want to stay in Div2

Yeah not sure. Vaguely remember someone saying something about playing Forest next year. My advice would be the time for those decisions is at sessions end, particularly given the uncertainty around what DIV 2 will look like next year given question marks on Epping, Beecroft and Hills.

Great day Saturday at Porters, high quality intense footy all day. Some good little fillies at ladies day too. Almost the clean sweep with 3rd grade missing two conversions in front to lose 14-12! St Pats were ferocious in 1st grade and Newport has done the other finalists a favour ensuring they arent in the finals as they are a very tough side. Never seen the clubhouse that packed, you literally could not move inside or out.

Let the finals begin!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Of the 44 clubs in Subbies, only 7 aren't in finals / finals contention right now.

Div 1 having 2 rounds to go including double points fixtures, all clubs are represented in the top 8 in some way. Not sure if that could change. Lot of mathematics to think about there.

Interesting that Waverley are running 1st in Sutherland, Judd, Whiddon, and Burke. Last in Colts.... They could jump to 2nd in Kentwell with a big double points win against Colleagues this week, setting up 1 v 2 at Lapstone the week after. The Goats can't be caught for minor premiership based on the gap they have.

Div 2 has 7 of the 8 clubs represented - Beecroft being the exception.
Div 3 has 6 of the 8 (Barker and Quins).
Div 4 has 6 of the 8 (Kings, Redfield - Chatswood's Colts are in the Radford Cup split off comp).
Div 5 has 9 of 11 (St Ives and Balmain missing out - Mac Uni's Colts are in Radford).

Brothers aren't technically in a Division as a standalone club but their Colts will be in the Radford as well. Good initiative there to give the boys something to play for despite a season of tough games against the Nicholson sides

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeah not sure. Vaguely remember someone saying something about playing Forest next year. My advice would be the time for those decisions is at sessions end, particularly given the uncertainty around what DIV 2 will look like next year given question marks on Epping, Beecroft and Hills.

Great day Saturday at Porters, high quality intense footy all day. Some good little fillies at ladies day too. Almost the clean sweep with 3rd grade missing two conversions in front to lose 14-12! St Pats were ferocious in 1st grade and Newport has done the other finalists a favour ensuring they arent in the finals as they are a very tough side. Never seen the clubhouse that packed, you literally could not move inside or out.

Let the finals begin!
Had my first taste of senior rugby at Porters on Saturday and there was some great rugby on display. All games were fiercely contested and both clubs showed why they were 1 & 2 on the Club Championship. Well done to Newport who again proved they were that little bit better edging out some close matches. St Pat's travelled in numbers and I think you'd struggle to find a more attended post-match function in Subbies this year!

Any idea how the finals venues were selected or is it simply a matter of which grounds are available? Seems like Major at Newport and Minor at UNSW would be an obvious choice given there is no cross over and both clubs have all grades in the respective Major and Minor. Anyway, Hills and Briars get the home ground advantage in the main games.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Allen Oxlade (6)
The question should be does Knox want to move up or are they happy in Div 3. With Epping Beecroft and Hills not fielding all grades this year surely at least Epping and Beecroft are going to be dropped potentially past Div 3. This will leave a hole in Div 2 that needs to be filled
Outside of a merger with Old Barker or another similar club I can’t see a situation where Knox can field 4 grades and colts. Simply isn’t a team in division 3 ready to step up into division 2 unless someone loans Sydney Irish some colts. Will be interesting to see how the subbies board tries to manage that next year.

Unrelated, the div 3 finals draw is out and the loser of the major and winner of the minor plays at Merrylands home ground next week? There’s a good chance both 1st and 2nd grade Merrylands sides get to play at home next week if they lose to Irish… hell of a safety net.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Had my first taste of senior rugby at Porters on Saturday and there was some great rugby on display. All games were fiercely contested and both clubs showed why they were 1 & 2 on the Club Championship. Well done to Newport who again proved they were that little bit better edging out some close matches. St Pat's travelled in numbers and I think you'd struggle to find a more attended post-match function in Subbies this year!

Any idea how the finals venues were selected or is it simply a matter of which grounds are available? Seems like Major at Newport and Minor at UNSW would be an obvious choice given there is no cross over and both clubs have all grades in the respective Major and Minor. Anyway, Hills and Briars get the home ground advantage in the main games.

Thirsty crowd too. Heard over 150 cases of 30 packs were demolished.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
With decades of experience in consuming said quantities, you learn how to accommodate. Lets say the club makes $100 profit per case. (how much is a beer at Subbies these days?), thats a decent fund raiser on beer alone..

The Ghost of Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
With decades of experience in consuming said quantities, you learn how to accommodate. Lets say the club makes $100 profit per case. (how much is a beer at Subbies these days?), thats a decent fund raiser on beer alone..
I did the maths and it's staggering. And that's not taking into account soft drinks or food.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
$15k would cover a fair few expenses for the year.

Nah, take into account beers for each grade, supporters club beers and 6 bar staff means it wouldn't be anything like that. Besides it wont go anywhere near covering the 5 Saturdays that had torrential rain but thankful to get a sunny day for the clubs big day.

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Outside of a merger with Old Barker or another similar club I can’t see a situation where Knox can field 4 grades and colts. Simply isn’t a team in division 3 ready to step up into division 2 unless someone loans Sydney Irish some colts. Will be interesting to see how the subbies board tries to manage that next year.

Unrelated, the div 3 finals draw is out and the loser of the major and winner of the minor plays at Merrylands home ground next week? There’s a good chance both 1st and 2nd grade Merrylands sides get to play at home next week if they lose to Irish… hell of a safety net.
Merrylands have hosted the last few finals series and they’ve always been great days out there. They’ve got plenty of space and the lights if needed. I think night finals are a great idea wether it be Friday or Saturday nights. Really helps to shorten those days with the bigger divisions kicking off before 9.

Previously the requirements for hosting finals has been 2 grounds which has ruled a lot of clubs out and it’s a lot of work for the hosting club especially if your teams are playing at the same time.