• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

park footy enthusiast

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 3 - Round 12:

Hawkesbury Valley (5) at Merrylands (1): Merrylands by 20.

Sydney Irish (2) at Knox (4):
Knox by 3.

Sydney Harbour (3) at Lane Cove Old Ignations (7): Harbour by 12.

Old Barker (8) at Sydney Harlequinns (6):
Quinns by 10.

Results: 3/4
Merrylands by 38
Irish by 1
Harbour by 3
Quinns by 16

Merrylands with a dominant showing, shaking off last weeks draw, all but ending Valleys finals hopes.

Almost picked the upset in what looked like a cracker of a game. A clinical Irish put Knox in a 20 point hole early, 6 lead changes in the second half and a penalty on the buzzer to win it.

Far closer than I think anyone would have envisioned, seems like a fresh group of players in for LCOI lately who actually led at half time. Will be very interesting to see how they perform rest of the way, the spoon race just got interesting!

Quinns did what they needed to at home. Will be looking for Barker to boil over Knox in their double points make up round next week to help their finals push.

Go the wallabies.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Poor tipping from myself over the weekend. Was almost 1/4 until a late Waverley surge. Impressed by Lindfield who seem to have confirmed a Semi final spot with that victory on the weekend. Will be great to see them live this week as they have been very strong physically over the last few weeks. Look forward to seeing some old friends from Lindfield on the sidelines this weekend!

Any news on what St Pats issue is this year? Loss of players or just not a cohesive unit? 2nd place might be false security considering a loss this week could see them drop to 6th.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
You should see my NRL tipping!! Just rubbish, I'm not seeing winners anywhere on the paddock or on the horses....

Briars are finding form at the right time of the season and have really stepped up their physicality. To me they are a real smokey to cause carnage and heartbreak come finals time.

St Pats will be absolutely kicking themselves to let that game go and have Beecroft romp in three 2nd half converted tries have left them with 2 must wins to finish.

Newport 43 UNSW (A), Epping bye, St Pats (H)
St Pats 23 UNSW (A), Newport (A)
Briars 23 Hills (A), Beecroft (A), Hills (H)
Hills 23 Briars (H), Petersham (H), Briars (A)
Beecroft 19 Briars (H), Petersham (A)
UNSW 19 Newport (H), St Pats (H)

Given Hills and Briars have 3 games left, 2 against each other I am going to say the finals will look like this.

1. Newport
2. Briars
3. Hills
4. St Pats

However I could be very very wrong....

Champagne Rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any news on what St Pats issue is this year?
As pointed out as a club they are doing okay coming 2nd in the CC, and their 1s are by no means struggling, but they do face a real risk of being eliminated. I don't know if they lost too many players, but it should be remembered that the club did only have 2 wins in 1s last year in div 1 and came last. But that drop off looks minuscule compared to Petersham 1s who had came third last in div 1 with 4 wins, and now are last with only 2 win.

With Lindfield's success in div 1 the difference between the top of 2nd div and the bottom of 1st div may not be that significant.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
St Pats are playing very tough & solid rugby across the grades and they could well finish the season with 4 minor premierships and will be very difficult to stop from getting plenty of silverware at finals time.

Petersham have been good across the grades but have played without much luck, an unscheduled 2nd trip to Porters on Saturday was always going to be a tough assignment. They have lost a few 1st grade games by 1 or 2 points and loosing the double points clash against UNSW was a massive blow to them.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Frank Nicholson (4)
As someone whose played across multiple divisions in full seasons and in preseason trials I've often thought there really isn't too big of a gap between the first-grade teams at a lot of the top clubs across the divisions.

Sure, your top 3-4 in Kentwell will put most to the sword, but a lot of the lower division clubs have very solid first grade teams, they're just not able to front up a colts outfit or a larger number of grade teams. After all, it only takes 15 or so good footy players at the top.

I think you could comfortably put Newport, Merrylands and/or even a Hornsby for example into an in-season tourney against some of the lower ranked Kentwell sides and I'm confident they'd at least hold their own.

Subbies footy is so just week to week and year to year that you can't really expect a whole lot of continuity from clubs, especially those promoted/relegated. Relegation often drives players away, promotion often brings them back, and you're always only a couple guys away from losing a large key group of players.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any news on what St Pats issue is this year?
I think St Pat's issue is that whilst they have a high quantity of players they are lacking in real quality players in the top grade. They've had a strong 2nd and Colts for years but can't seem to push it up the grades.

Credit to Beecroft as well. Took their chances and played good footy. Their outside centre had a great game.