• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some massive results today. Congratulations to Old Soldier on beating Colleagues. Beecroft beating Hills in 1s and Epping beating St Pats in 2s and 4s.
Game on!

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
We are in the thick of the relaunch for 2025

.org.au/projects/penrith-emus/penrith-emus-future-fund

View attachment 19399
Fletch - I have no connection at all with the Emus apart from a mate in the Riff who had a lot of mates play with them in the heyday in the 90s - said the sunday booze sessions were breathtaking. However - for the sake of the game, western sydney rugby, and subbies - I will send over a few bob to help in my small way - I'll also encourage others to do the same. Any idea if Division 1 is your aspiration?

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Subbies may need to consider amending the season schedule and having an additional wet weather round thrown in at the end of the regular season.
Not fair to ask guys, like UNSW, have to, to make up 3 games due to the weather

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not fair to ask guys, like UNSW, have to, to make up 3 games due to the weather
Agreed. The options aren't crash hot but clubs are going to need to think about exercising double points option from round 1 wash outs at this rate to save playing so many catch up games

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Some massive results today. Congratulations to Old Soldier on beating Colleagues. Beecroft beating Hills in 1s and Epping beating St Pats in 2s and 4s.
Game on!
Huge effort from Waverly having to travel to Lapstone and coming away with 3/5 wins. Just going down to an undefeated Mountains side. Rd 14 is going to be a cracking rematch!

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Div 1 - No placement to keep people on their toes

Lindfield - Colleagues - Old Soldier in the wet could be one of the worst grounds to play at. The pitch is terrible and the ground itself gets chopped up easily. Lindfield will use the home field advantage well and continue Colleagues poor run this year. This may be only time I tip Lindfield for the year so get the job done. Lindfield by 3
We aren’t going to hear the end of this are we…….?

Fletch

Frank Row (1)
Fletch - I have no connection at all with the Emus apart from a mate in the Riff who had a lot of mates play with them in the heyday in the 90s - said the sunday booze sessions were breathtaking. However - for the sake of the game, western sydney rugby, and subbies - I will send over a few bob to help in my small way - I'll also encourage others to do the same. Any idea if Division 1 is your aspiration?
Appreciate the support! the link was incomplete - Here it is https://asf.org.au/projects/penrith-emus/penrith-emus-future-fund

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Game on!
It was a good day for us. St Pats were a great opposition, it was tough going in the mud but some good rugby played.

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
We aren’t going to hear the end of this are we…….?
3.5/4 for the Weekend.

Seems like all were good games apart from Colleagues forgetting to turn up.
Drummoyne leaving it very late to get over a gallant Forest at Melwood,
Waverley Mountains was a great clash with some big bodies going at it for the full 80
HH and Mosman couldnt be split down on B3.

Lets hope Blue Mountains are a bit battered on their way down to Boronia this weekend

Champagne Rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Game on!

Beecroft and Epping's wins last weekend and if they repeat this a couple of times will present a difficult problem for subbies. Beecroft currently sit 4th on CC, admittedly a few games in hand over UNSW. Beecroft have no third grade, Epping have no 1st grade.

What's the plan for next year?
- Do you drop them both and move two teams up, noting the difficulties for getting two clubs to go up a division and add a team?
- Do you drop them both and only move up one team or no teams.
- Do you allow them both to remain in the division?

Maybe the answers will become clearer if last weekend was more of a one off and Beecroft and Epping struggle in future weeks. I struggle to see how the 3 divs of 8 clubs will work next year if all clubs are required to meet the div requirements.

footy_footy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Beecroft and Epping's wins last weekend and if they repeat this a couple of times will present a difficult problem for subbies. Beecroft currently sit 4th on CC, admittedly a few games in hand over UNSW. Beecroft have no third grade, Epping have no 1st grade.

What's the plan for next year?
- Do you drop them both and move two teams up, noting the difficulties for getting two clubs to go up a division and add a team?
- Do you drop them both and only move up one team or no teams.
- Do you allow them both to remain in the division?

Maybe the answers will become clearer if last weekend was more of a one off and Beecroft and Epping struggle in future weeks. I struggle to see how the 3 divs of 8 clubs will work next year if all clubs are required to meet the div requirements.
If Epping can keep the teams they had on Saturday they will win a lot of games in the back end of the year. They beat the previously undefeated St Pat's 2s and 4s, quite comfortably. If they can keep it up those teams will be hard to beat in finals, which will leave some people scratching their head.

Beecroft 1s are a good team. They were slow out of the blocks but they will could be in finals contention if they can string a few more wins together. They should have beaten Hills the first time round and should've beaten St Pat's. I know it's a big "if" but had they finished those games off they'd be top 4.

As for where they end up next year, you are right 8x8x8 doesn't work and this becoming more obvious. The quality Epping and Beecroft have on their day is decent but there are too many gaps in the draw for the bigger clubs.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Think Hornsby have aspirations to go higher in the Divisions and also depends on what Penrith end up doing. Would entry into Div 3 be a possibility?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Epping can keep the teams they had on Saturday they will win a lot of games in the back end of the year. They beat the previously undefeated St Pat's 2s and 4s, quite comfortably. If they can keep it up those teams will be hard to beat in finals, which will leave some people scratching their head.

Beecroft 1s are a good team. They were slow out of the blocks but they will could be in finals contention if they can string a few more wins together. They should have beaten Hills the first time round and should've beaten St Pat's. I know it's a big "if" but had they finished those games off they'd be top 4.

As for where they end up next year, you are right 8x8x8 doesn't work and this becoming more obvious. The quality Epping and Beecroft have on their day is decent but there are too many gaps in the draw for the bigger clubs.

The 6x6x6x6 is starting to make more sense as each week rolls by. Shorter season to which could prove positive for the younger ones who already think current season is too long.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
'Younger one's' would of struggled in 2007 and 2008. Played 18 rounds plus semi and final in 2007 and similar again in 2008.
Yep they would, with many things in life. But serious reform needs to be looked at to stop the decline in subbies partcipation and differentiate itself from Shute Shield. The status quo in 2025 is not an option. The comments above about Beecroft and Epping tell you 8x8X8 is no longer sustainable.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Bob McCowan (2)
Division 3 Round 8 predictions:

The second round of fixtures kicks off this week and boy is it a doozy, 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4, 5 plays 6 and 7 plays 8., plenty on the line and a good chance to see who's improved from Round 1 two months ago.

Sydney Irish v Merrylands: Game of the round and game of the year in the regular season, the undefeated Irish, fresh off a solid win vs Valley take on Merrylands who are undefeated bar their week 1 clash vs Irish (a 29-26 nail biter) and fresh off a demolition job against Knox in the wet. Merrylands organising a big bus to South Coogee to ensure a large player and supporter presence, should be a cracker. I keep waiting for Irish to fall off but they just keep winning, I'll go against them one last time, probably for the last time this regular season. Merrylands by 7.

Knox v Hawkesbury Valley:
The best of the rest square off this week, both sides desperate for a win to stay in the hunt for the top 4. Knox won 17-7 all the way back in week 1 but you have to imagine a lot has changed since then. Knox was throttled by Merrylands before the week off and will be keen to make amends. I'll take Knox in a close one - though you never know which Valley turns up. Home field a large factor as the Valley boys will be stepping into unfamiliar territory at Lofberg Oval for the first time. Knox by 10.

Sydney Harbour vs Sydney Harlequins:
Sydney H east edition takes on Sydney H inner city edition in this clash, both sides appear evenly matched on paper and the best outside of the runaway top 2. A short trip over to Rose Bay shouldn't hurt the Quinns lads too much - who's run of form includes a demo job on LCOI, a decent scrap against Merrylands and a solid win over BOBs, whilst Harbour has been limping lately, with unconvincing wins against BOBs and LCOI and a drubbing at home vs the Irish. The form says take the Quinns, but style makes fights, and Harbour got up convincingly in round 1. Tough one to pick, but I'll go Harbour at home in Rose Bay in a coin flip. Harbour by 3.

Old Barker vs Lane Cove Old Ignations:
The cellar dwellers square off in a clash that will have major implications for the spoon 'race' as the year progresses, potentially both sides last chance to notch a victory this year, although BOBs have been better of late. LCOI won this clash in round 1 in a high scoring 42-31 win but havent sniffed a result in the last 5 weeks, whilst BOBs went down narrowly to Harbour last week in one of their better showings. I'm taking BOBs to get off the mark here and move off the bottom of the ladder. Keep an eye on those bonus points rest of the way boys! Barker by 10.

Yours in park footy,
PFE.

Results:

3/3,
decent on margins, Harbour/Quinns postponed.

Merrylands def. Irish 26-14 - Merrylands go on the road and knock off the undefeated Irish in a clash for the ages. Rumour has it the boys from Holroyd have several ex Samoan internationals running around, a bit of a waste of talent in div 3... I suspect this wont be the last time we see these two sides square off, major semi AND grand final perhaps. Merrylands are very well drilled and coached for a team of big bruising ball runners, a credit to them. Back to the drawing board for the Irish lads, a softer schedule awaits...

Knox def. Valley 31-0 - Knox make it clear in this 5v6 battle at home that if anyone is sneaking into the top 4 down the back stretch of the season its them with a classy demolition job of the Valley lads after a long road trip. This win sets up a tantalising game against Quinns next week with a top 4 spot on the line, tough to win out at Waterloo, lots to play for.

Old Barker def. LCOI 29-14 - Old Barker finally gets it done! Must feel great to get that first win of the season on the board, a just reward for some much improved footy over recent weeks. The challenge for both outfits now becomes, can either sneak a win down the stretch to avoid the spoon, or is this going to be a bonus point-off. Only time will tell. It wont happen this week for LCOI, they have to go TO Merrylands, gotta feel for them, could be a genuine cricket score, whilst Old Barker gets to see if Irish's one loss was a fluke or not at Home.

Yours in the div 3 park stuff,
PFE

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The 6x6x6x6 is starting to make more sense as each week rolls by. Shorter season to which could prove positive for the younger ones who already think current season is too long.

Isn't your 6x6x6 15 rounds tho? I assume in that you're scrapping wet weather weeks to make it shorter than the existing 14 rounds + 2-3 wet weather weeks.

I look at Premier Rugby and most clubs have no issues filling their teams for 18 rounds, so I'm not sure that a shorter season is necessarily the answer.

Perhaps we need to have draws released later, and provisions for clubs to be re-graded after the first 4-6 rounds as their numbers truly emerge.

Perhaps we need to look at what is pulling people away from the game

Last edited:

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Let's say we did go 6x6x6 and a full home and away season.
Using the Division 2 draw:
May 18 - Round 1
May 25 - Round 2
June 1 - Round 3
June 8 - Long Weekend Bye
June 15 - Round 4
June 22 - Round 5
June 29 - Wet Weather Round
July 6 - Round 6
July 13 - Round 7
July 20 - Round 8
July 27 - Round 9
August 3 - Wet Weather Round
August 10 - Round 10
August 17 - Semi Finals
August 24 - Grand Finals

It would mean trials when most clubs have goal posts up in late April/early May. It would bring about the possibility of a pre-season challenge or FA Cup style comp (could be the Cowboy Cup). 32 clubs enter, 1 winner.
April 13 - Round 1
April 20 - Round 2
April 27 - Quarter Finals
May 4 - Semi Final
May 11 - Cowboy Cup Final

Clubs can still organise themselves trials, but the Cowboy Cup keeps things interesting. Could trial some law variations, but have a bit of fun playing across divisions.
Would mean the season doesn't go from January pre-season until September. It could mean pre-season starting in March, which would help alot of clubs who have trouble with ground availability.