• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Colts 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Colts 1 - West Harbour 34 - 12
Colts 2 - Gordon 30-22
Colts 3- West Harbour 38- 14 (or thereabouts)

corrected

Pirates far too strong in Is and IIIs, although I must say Gordon put up a bloody good fight in Is until they ran out of petrol late in the second half.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Given the game before, a good effort from Gordon. I rate their backline. I always thought Simkin was a good 13 and Carmichael I'd very reliable at 12 especially with the pressure taken off him with Moss in the team. Great outside speed. Forwards are a worry though even with Broome in.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
I'll back the Students

i went to the game and left at half time as uni looked like they were gonna put 60 on eastwood, leading 36-10. However I checked the score last night and it ended up 43-36 uni's way. Can anyone enlighten us on what happened in the 2nd half???

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In the 2nd half the Woodies were hungry for the win and the Uni backs were just ordinary, limited plays and substandard defence.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Norths did well against West Harbour - wins in 1sts and 2nds, and down by a point in 3rds - conversion from the side line - great kick, bad result, for Norths. Norths really are under performers this year, but maybe this is a turning point -who knows?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Pirates' Colts had bonus points wins against Southern Districts in all three games this arvo. Their (hot) run of form into the finals has started!

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Souths are a bit depleted at the moment so not a good test. Do you know any other results?

K

Keithy

Uni lost to easts. Hard to rememeber the last time Uni lost 3 round matches in a season. Maybe 2004 when West harbour finished minor premiers and beat Uni twice.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I didn't think Easts were up to it. They've now done it twice. I thought Easts were depleted but maybe Uni was as well.

K

Keithy

Uni weren't missing too many but they do seem flat. Remember Eastwood nearly ran them down last week. Uni have West harbour next week which could be a big game.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The team that Uni have fielded hasn't really changed all season apart from some position changes.
Bruce I have noticed that Will Skelton was in firsts a couple of weeks ago and then in seconds. Lack of form or niggling injury?
Same goes for Goodman, is he struggling with the challenge of playing 1sts colts or is he injured as he seems to be bouncing in and out of firsts. His replacement Benn Melrose have been used in different positions in the team as well James Dargaville who has also played in the centres in 2nds.
On a Manly front John Mokofisi from NSW1s last year has left the frontrow for the more gentle backrow.
Also congratulations to Alex Northam, Saia Tanginoa, Waldo Wessels and Jack Debreczeni on making Australian Schools teams. To any other colts who I have omitted well done as well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is certainly a challenging year for Uni, lily, and our Colts are under pressure from a number of other clubs which is probably good for the competition.

For various reasons Uni's First Colts are largely composed of first year players so they are to some extent a work in progress. I thought that Will Skelton was outstanding last Saturday playing Seconds so I would expect to see him back in the top side soon. Stuart Goodman was at the game on crutches but I don't know how long he will be out for.

There were a couple of extraordinary results. Playing against Easts who were in second place in both grades, Uni's Third Colts won 32-0 while 2nds Colts won 60-0.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks mate, when I used to coach colts I was only ever comfortable when I saw my players on Saturday morning. It seemed to me that the least hungover team was the one that won any pickem games. This wasn't many years ago as well. Still strange results in those two games.

G

Grandstand

"Stuart Goodman was at the game on crutches but I don't know how long he will be out for."

I understand Goodman has had a series of injuries, the latest being a stress fracture to his foot which will see him out for 6 weeks, following injuries to his shoulder and knee early on, then a bout of tonsilitis, so a tough year for the kid.

Got to say Uni firsts colts struggle when the going get tough, they tend to start slow and try and run down the opposition, which didn't work against Easts. They need to switch on early and keep applying the pressure. Easts have out enthused them in both games so far, particularly in the forwards.

K

Keithy

Bruce of the team that played Saturday 7 were 2nd year players. Lamont, Hodge, Frazer, Dargaville, Boyd-Jones, Armour, Cannon. Add Tully (3rd year) and Tolu, who are regulars, and it seems like more than half are secong year players. Your Colts 2 are the same. The West Harbour match should be good to watch. WH are always a tricky side at Concord. I think the Manly performance vs Uni was very sharpe and Manly will be a handfull later in the year.
Another player who has returned is last years Colts 1 halfback James Helliwell. He was playing league with the Sydney Roosters U20 side and is still listed on their website as a player. How come he is playing rugby and will Helliwell be back in Colts this year?

W

waves

Bruce of the team that played Saturday 7 were 2nd year players. Lamont, Hodge, Frazer, Dargaville, Boyd-Jones, Armour, Cannon. Add Tully (3rd year) and Tolu, who are regulars, and it seems like more than half are secong year players. Your Colts 2 are the same. The West Harbour match should be good to watch. WH are always a tricky side at Concord. I think the Manly performance vs Uni was very sharpe and Manly will be a handfull later in the year.
Another player who has returned is last years Colts 1 halfback James Helliwell. He was playing league with the Sydney Roosters U20 side and is still listed on their website as a player. How come he is playing rugby and will Helliwell be back in Colts this year?

James Helliwell was playing 4th grade last week could possibly see him in colts very soon. Although I have heard Tom English is back with colts this week he is a very strong centre carries the ball very well.

K

Keithy

English has bounced in and out of Colts during the year. English tends to play Colts on these Super Saturdays when Colts and grade play at the same venue.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know why Nugget Helliwell came back to Uni from the Roosters, Keithy, but he is very committed now. I see him developing as a Brett Sheehan type half back. He would be valuable back in Colts but he is quite capable of mixing it with grade players.

There is quite a lot of movement across the grades and between Grade and Colts this year with the current coaching team quite prepared to make strategic changes and to recognise form rather than reputation. I expect that Uni's three grades of Colts will again be very competitive by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.