• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't mean to spoil your victory, but I think you need to get rid of S Faainga, he's one of the worst ball carrying hookers I've seen. Tapuai was brilliant. Genia was very good in the 2nd half, he was pretty rattled in the 1st, but did very well in the 2nd, eventhough the Crusaders were clearly targeting him. Cooper was pretty average, I thought. Lucky you the refs these days usually don't care if the scrum feed is straight or not;)

I thought the Saders did well regarding Cooper he didnt seem to have as much space as he did against the Blues. I also noticed Quades boots looked different, I guess he ditched the red/purple ones and went back to his old boots, paid off.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I though Tapuai was good also. Reminded me of a young Aaron Mauger out there. The young tackling, gap finding Aaron Mauger that is :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tapuai was great. He just lacks that yard of pace to turn those half-breaks into full-breaks, but he didn't make any mistakes and contained SBW and Freuen well.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks Marto...zzzzzzzz

Here's a couple to add to your repertoire, Horwill about 4 times playing with the ball while on the deck - I guess he's building nicely, A Finger for all his good work likes to just lie on players after he tackles - he's well above board is young Ant, Samo is a an old dog that seems to have learned a few new tricks when it comes to selective hearing when the ref says "release"

But hey I understand that it is only McCaw that breaks rugby laws because that's what Marto says

McCaw is still way ahead in regards to being a compulsive cheater.

Enough of that. WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Thought Cooper and genia where crap. Reds did what they did all year, hung in there. Winners do that :) congrats boys

Reds fans welcome to the club, now let's all laugh at the tahs

Yep, under extreme pressure from the best pack in the world right now, he makes a searing break, defends his guts outs, digs the ball out of a dozen broken rucks and scores a magic solo try. Yeah, crap.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yep, under extreme pressure from the best pack in the world right now, he makes a searing break, defends his guts outs, digs the ball out of a dozen broken rucks and scores a magic solo try. Yeah, crap.

I actually disagree. Genia had his worst game in a long time, but that says more about his form this season than his game tonight. But he was a bit off- his kicking game was ordinary and he was charged down on numerous occassions, he knocked the ball on on a few occassions, his service was patchy. But he came through that well to score a great try. He certainly wan't 'crap' but by his lofty standards he was average.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The other thing I really enjoyed about this game was beating a Carter and McCaw team. I really enjoy it when they lose and I think it is integral for the Wallabies that Carter and McCaw get use to losing and that we get use to beating them. I'm not being ungracious, it just adds to the juicyness of the win.

Also, the Reds weren't just the better team on the day, they have been the better team for the past 2 seasons and thoroughly deserve their championship.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree. I thought both Cooper and Genia had off games and the Cru contained them very well. Having said that I think it's even more of a credit to the Reds that they can still win without their halves firing perfectly.

Horwill, Simmons, Robinson, Higgers, Diggers, Taps, A Fainga'a, Davies and Lance all had blinders IMO. Front row not so much.

Not that I want to dwell on Lawrence but could anyone pick what happened in Simmons non-try? Made no sense to me at the time. I also think he was absolute rubbish both ways with no real control over the breakdown and offside in general play (which the Cru made better use of, as usual), as well as missing about 10000 knock-ons. I guess the occasion got to him as well.

G

GC

Genia was immense.

In fact, every single reds player was immense. With a team with far fewer stars than the Saders, all players doing their job as a cog in the team was how the victory occurred.

Congratulations to each and every one of them.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Question: where is qwerty?

QWERTY has posted a few times in this thread and has been totally positive and supportive of the Reds and the result. Zero need to call him out.

So so so stoked with the result. Was watching it in a pub and the place was exploding, lot's of Australia fans getting behind it. Didn't really get to have a close look at the Simmons no try - at the time I caught a glimpse of a replay and it seemed a fair knock on - was this not the case?

Thought we were very lucky to be in the hunt at half-time, as the Crusaders were running rampant through the rucks and we couldn't/didn't want to match it. Second half we really upped our workrate though, and it led to a fucking brilliant overall match.

Well done to the Crusaders and all their fans - you've been through a hell of a time and played your guts out all year. Champion team, we'll see you again bigger and better next year (with a home ground!)

And I promised myself I wouldn't gloat, but I'm going to break that rule for just one person. Slim, your anguish sustains me. Hah. Hah. :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree. I thought both Cooper and Genia had off games and the Cru contained them very well. Having said that I think it's even more of a credit to the Reds that they can still win without their halves firing perfectly.

Horwill, Simmons, Robinson, Higgers, Diggers, Taps, A Fainga'a, Davies and Lance all had blinders IMO. Front row not so much.

Not that I want to dwell on Lawrence but could anyone pick what happened in Simmons non-try? Made no sense to me at the time. I also think he was absolute rubbish both ways with no real control over the breakdown and offside in general play (which the Cru made better use of, as usual), as well as missing about 10000 knock-ons. I guess the occasion got to him as well.
Good points. The Reds struggled where it was predicted they might - scrum, and subsequently Genia and Cooper were crowded and rushed and negated, to a large degree. But they still did it. Lineout was pleasantly surprising - I thought the Crusaders might disrupt it more. Instead, the Reds pinched a couple of crucial balls.Defence was superb. The most exciting prospect I saw was Tapuai. No disrespect to Ant Fainga'a, but I saw far more in Tapuai to suggest a long career in the Wallabies might beckon. Dangerous in attack, and very solid in defence, both in the tackle, and positionally.
Lawrence? Well, he performed to expectation for me, which is to say he was average.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thought Cooper and genia where crap. Reds did what they did all year, hung in there. Winners do that :) congrats boys

Reds fans welcome to the club, now let's all laugh at the tahs

Cooper and Genia were great. Of course they were constantly under the hammer in the first half. That's what you get against the Crusaders. Genia's kicking game suffered. Cooper was outplayed and out of place for Carter's try.

But they found a way to prevail. QC (Quade Cooper)'s pass in the lead up to Digby's try was right on the money. Genia's run to the line ended up as the match breaker (and Quade's positioning there also kept SBW from closing Sanchez down).

Champions.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
QWERTY has posted a few times in this thread and has been totally positive and supportive of the Reds and the result. Zero need to call him out.

So so so stoked with the result. Was watching it in a pub and the place was exploding, lot's of Australia fans getting behind it. Didn't really get to have a close look at the Simmons no try - at the time I caught a glimpse of a replay and it seemed a fair knock on - was this not the case?

Thought we were very lucky to be in the hunt at half-time, as the Crusaders were running rampant through the rucks and we couldn't/didn't want to match it. Second half we really upped our workrate though, and it led to a fucking brilliant overall match.

Well done to the Crusaders and all their fans - you've been through a hell of a time and played your guts out all year. Champion team, we'll see you again bigger and better next year (with a home ground!)

And I promised myself I wouldn't gloat, but I'm going to break that rule for just one person. Slim, your anguish sustains me. Hah. Hah. :)

He has been trolling up a storm and talking crap all season. There is every reason to call him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.