• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SupeRugby Final 2011: Queensland Reds V Canterbury Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

great game. Thought the Crusaders looked like they had just hit the wall on the home stretch. Good close contest and the reds did what they had to win the game.

Couple of personal observatgions. I thought Scott Higgenbotham was next to useless. Just like Piere Spies a big unit but doesn't impose himself on the game enoght. Id rather see a Richard Brown in there for the Wallabies. Horwill good performance to partner Sharpe. Reds front row well they scrapped but nothing special.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
great game. Thought the Crusaders looked like they had just hit the wall on the home stretch. Good close contest and the reds did what they had to win the game.

Couple of personal observatgions. I thought Scott Higgenbotham was next to useless. Just like Piere Spies a big unit but doesn't impose himself on the game enoght. Id rather see a Richard Brown in there for the Wallabies. Horwill good performance to partner Sharpe. Reds front row well they scrapped but nothing special.

Of all the insults thrown Higgenbotham's way, that's the one that'll sting the most.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not saying it was an influence on the result tonight (not trying to divert away from the Reds deserved victory) but fatigue from travel MAY, I stress MAY have been one factor/variable on the Saders. Looking at the All Blacks for the TN and RWC you will not get a travel effect on the All Blacks nor will there be a predominately Aussie crowd (at least for the RWC). There are factors in tonights game that wont be present in the international games.

Dont get me wrong, I'm very optimistic for the Wallabies but I've still got NZ as fav's (at the very least with the RWC). I'm keeping my feet firmly on the ground and giving this NZ team plenty of respect.

Without taking away from the win, because you can only play the team that turns up, I have no doubt the repeated errors by the Crusaders in the second half are partly attributable to fatigue.

I thought Ellis outplayed Genia while he was on (Genia scored his try after Ellis had been replaced). Genia kicked twice as much as he should have. I thought Carter outplayed Cooper as well. However, I think both of those outcomes are attributable to the Crusaders forward pack disrupting Reds ball. They drove through and past the ball 80% of the time in the first half.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
So Fucking stoked that the reds won!!! Just got fox back in time ( just moved house). Congratulating the reds and the fans!!! It was a great effort from the reds And they won in the beSt style. The saders were lucky to not get allot more penalties against them. Samo towards the end was very interesting almost costing the game then saving it then Putting it back in the saders hands with a knock on!!! So happy to see an aussie side win!!!!N ecstatic over here in Perth!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!¡!!!!

Go the force!!!!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Without taking away from the win, because you can only play the team that turns up, I have no doubt the repeated errors by the Crusaders in the second half are partly attributable to fatigue.

I thought Ellis outplayed Genia while he was on (Genia scored his try after Ellis had been replaced). Genia kicked twice as much as he should have. I thought Carter outplayed Cooper as well. However, I think both of those outcomes are attributable to the Crusaders forward pack disrupting Reds ball. They drove through and past the ball 80% of the time in the first half.

Plenty of errors by the saders in the first half as well, but most of those the ref for some reason couldn't see.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
A sweet victory made even sweeter by the fact that I was sitting in a bar full of crusaders supporters. I almost felt bad for them at then end, almost...

I never would have thought sitting in a quarter full lang park a few years ago watching the reds get belted that this day would come so soon. Brilliant coach, brilliant captain, and a brilliant squad of players. 15 players dont win you this title, it takes a whole squad effort, which queensland certainly had this year.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Well done to the Reds. Capped off a great year with the chocolates.

IMO it was a scrappy game from both sides, and that's not a reflection of the Ref. Both sides were feeling the pressure out there.

Both sides were guilty of trying too much, pushing the play, but on the other hand both teams defended well for the most part.

Both team pushed the envelope at the collisions and were fortunate on a number of occasions. I will say again as I've said previously, Horwill has really matured insomuch that I saw him get away with a number of "sneaky" ones tonight that turned the play to the Reds favor. Well done that man.

The said I thought my team put huge pressure on Samo and Genia with some fortune at times.

Plenty of Saders players will be really disappointed with their own games in addition to the actual result.

Oh well, another year gone, bring on the real stuff...:)

When I was coding the game the Reds were playing it much faster than the Crusaders and I notice a real time difference, where I had time to breathe when the Crusader had the ball, but not when the Reds did.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Ball went forward from Simmons' hand to a Saders' forearm/elbow/whatever and back into Simmons' grasp. I played it in slo-slo-mo and could detect about a millimetre of forward progress. Very lucky call by Lawrence.
It came off Ellis, but it also showed up Gilford. Hell it would be a fantastic try but the ref or assistants spotted it.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Fantastic and deserved result to the Reds! Incredible that this group has come so far, so fast. A golden era for QLD rugby ahead? I hope so!

Who else remembers the consistent calls in 09 to move back to ballymore? It made perfect sense then and nobody could have predicted this. Berricks move trully was the spark that set all this in motion. What an incredible job QLD rugby has done

I did allot of screaming earlier in the week about Lawrence. I stand by all of it and he produced exactly what i expected from him. Australian teams are regularly the victims of one eyed refereeing and its got to stop. I can only express my relief that this example wasn't enough to take the game and premiership from the deserved victors.

REDS PREMIERS 2011!!!!
INCREDIBLE

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Well played Reds and congratulations to their fans. The Red defence won them the game, especially in the lineouts. It wasn't a classic rugby showcase but boy it was real edge of the seat stuff and could have gone either way, eg, if Maitland held that pass or if SBW held that kick-off chase. I honestly thought the flood gates would open after the Carter try. Full credit to the senior players for keeping the team composed.

Interestingly, in the after game interview I heard Quade say as a parting shot something like "there will be more of that in the coming years". I wonder might he be more likely to stick around in a winning team beyond his current contract.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Very scrappy game but an amazing result. Congratulations to the coach and the players - he got the most out of each and every player, and they were willing to give everything.

The kicking game was clearly a deliberate plan. It had the result of opening up the game....and they got the win!

I think the result should give all of the Aussie teams great hope for 2012 (well maybe not the Tahs).

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
That you once again for your contribution troll.
Yes it was necessary otherwise I wouldn't have posted it. Getting away with the win doesn't negate the stupidity of Sanzars decision to appoint him or his own poor performance.

Now you can continue your spiteful little comments but I've said what needed to be on the matter and now I'm going to watch the replay. Again :D :D :D

REDS PREMIERS 2011!!!!! Not gonna get sick of saying that any time soon ;)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned that the Reds won the battle of styles. The game was chaotic and up-tempo, not controlled with set pieces the way the Crusaders would have liked it. A big part of that was Genia's mania for box kicks. It was saying - we're going to play the game entirely in broken play. Pure genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.