• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Week 17, 2018 - Rebels vs Waratahs - Friday 29 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alex Newsome had a really good game. I expect Clark will come straight back into the starting side assuming he gets through the concussion protocol this week but Newsome must be kicking himself he blew his opportunity to hold that starting position earlier in the season.

At least the Tahs know they have a dependable guy they can bring in. Presumably Newsome will lose his spot in the 23 next week.

Unusual situation where the Tahs only used 21 players with Wilkin and Simone staying on the bench but in the end you can't really question Gibson's use of the bench. The players used had an impact and the Tahs finished over the top of the Rebels.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rebels come across to be involved in WSR for a single game and immediately try and mimic aspects of the WSR game day experience.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”- Oscar Wilde.

I'm sure the Minderoo team will be grateful for the compliment.......

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Rebels come across to be involved in WSR for a single game and immediately try and mimic aspects of the WSR game day experience.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”- Oscar Wilde.

I'm sure the Minderoo team will be grateful for the compliment...
So aggressive.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
great game and despite only 9K really good atmosphere. another game the Rebels have blown with some poor execution, and over excitement at crucial times, but overall i'm very pleased with the clubs progress this year. thought Nic berry did a good job, not so his AR's, as well as the two line out throws, the missed forward pass in the early lead up to the Tahs second try just before half-time was criminal. i hope the Rebels can maintain that intensity for the next two (three or even four :)) weeks.
edit: once again a useless and ultimately pointless TMO intervention when none was required. FFS its a contact game and unintentional collisions are part and parcel, i'm more pissed that the tip tackle on Mafi and the head high on Maddocks were missed- these were much more "intentional" than the "accidental" (not even reckless) shoulder to the head in the Foley-Rangi collision.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i've not watched the replay but on the far (richmond) side of the ground, the crowd erupted on at least two occasions when it appeared that the ball went into touch off the Tahs and they got the throw in.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Alex Newsome had a really good game. I expect Clark will come straight back into the starting side assuming he gets through the concussion protocol this week but Newsome must be kicking himself he blew his opportunity to hold that starting position earlier in the season.

At least the Tahs know they have a dependable guy they can bring in. Presumably Newsome will lose his spot in the 23 next week.

Unusual situation where the Tahs only used 21 players with Wilkin and Simone staying on the bench but in the end you can't really question Gibson's use of the bench. The players used had an impact and the Tahs finished over the top of the Rebels.

Yes I thought Alex Newsome had a good game....maybe a replacement for Taquele's wing next season. And Will Miller just continues to have a great season and prove he is super rugby quality player and nice to see players like him making it out of club rugby as a pathway.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
He can play much better than that. I think he'll bounce back next week after a full week in camp.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting by the end of the season.

It's not that Latu isn't suited to Super Rugby. He can be a really dynamic player. It's just that Fitzpatrick is suited to Super Rugby where his smaller size doesn't get found out and his workrate really shines through.
I like Fitzpatrick, he plays a complete game, very busy at the breakdown and a remarkably good link player in attack. Plus his line out throws are very good. I like Latu as a "finisher", he brings a physicality and bends the line when he comes on, plus he's strong at the breakdown too. I think Latu works best when the pace goes out of the game. I'm happy to see them continue these roles for better balance than the other way around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I'm sure the Minderoo team will be grateful for the compliment...

what did they copy?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
One of the dumber yellow cards you'll see.
05aad1ec01cf51d39a10e5e709c3a935.jpg
6a5c03a1f57fc855beaea4b143615c85.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not like he had any need to do it. Phipps passing from the ruck up to that point had been diabolical. Chances were that it would have gone astray again in any case.

But real brain fart from Meakes and deserving of its outcome.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great game from both sides. Rebels the better team very unlucky not to win but Tahs took the opportunities when presented. I thought the Rebels bench really let down the effort of the starters. Must learn how to close those games out but a positive step in the direction for the club.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hodge is getting way too involved with breakdowns at the moment. Spending more time in the ruck than out in the backline at the moment

I saw that too, but the team game plan seems to call for Hodge to be first to the breakdowns in his channel. Also, his defence close to the breakdown is strong which adds to his tight work.
Several other players seem to take the 1st receiver role when Hodge is otherwise occupied.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
there was a pre-match lighting & entertainment show from what I could see on social media - - - a bit like the WSR pre-match stuff
Thanks for that Shtina as awesome to see collaboration and sharing of ideas as Twiggy ball introducing a lot of innovation to try and make rugby a more appealing entertainment product so without doubt lot can learn and leverage from that for super rugby (and whatever its future replacement is). No one is under any pretence with dwindling super rugby crowds that change is needed and I have generally own seen positive press towards what Twiggy attempting to do.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^Also coping Melbourne Storm/ Melbourne Victory and any other side that has played at AAMI park. Pretty sure Storm do a light show for every night game.

Status
Not open for further replies.