• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Week 17, 2018 - Rebels vs Waratahs - Friday 29 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Think they cut it sometime during the game to relieve the pressure (bit like a boxer). He had a bandage on it by the end

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Yep. That's it. Done. I've been fuming about the Izzy suspension, the calls in the reds v blues game. Frankly for years the rules and officiating has seen a massive deterioration. I could list countless bullshit calls that are getting more and more frequent. i was borderline not going to watch the match, but thought I'd flick it on. First thing i see is Foley being penalised because someone fell on him.
I can't do this. This was a great sport. I have followed it for nearly 30 years, I've followed the wallabies and watched them all over the globe. But i can't do it anymore. The game is a farce. That's me done.

Mate I feel the same way. Turned off the Ireland game when Izzy got carded. Didn’t watch the reds or the tahs this week.
Just can’t do it any more.
Cards were rare once - and usually deserved. Not the lottery it is now.
I’m interested enough to have a browse to see what the consensus was but that’s about it until world rugby sorts their shit.
Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying tickets for the Bled which I’m sincerely regretting and will f@#king explode if the game is wrecked by some clown with a whistle and a card (to either side)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just finished watching a replay (was out). What a game! Both sides put on a show of great attack, great defence and real competition. And Nic Berry let it happen. Miller had a beast of a game. Philip for the Rebels was immense. Plenty of good efforts otherwise. Quality.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Holy crap! The Tahs should buy some lottery tickets after that one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remember some of the games where we have played the Crusaders and totally dominated them, only to lose on the scoreboard? I felt the reverse of that after the game; still trying to work out how the hell we managed to steal it. The Rebels cut us to shreds and yet a couple of star individual performances (stand up Kurtley Beale and Will Miller) beat a pretty complete team performance from the Rebels.

Tom English at the end of the game identified why they lost. He said something like "we were running through them like a knife through butter and then we started to try to run around them."

It was a great game of rugby and enjoyable watching if you were not a supporter of either team. For supporters the stress was excruciating.

I thought Matt Philip was immense for the Rebels. He's back to his Wallaby form of last year, maybe better. They didn't lose much at all at halfback, which is where I expected them to lose in spades, Meekes was a serial pest all night and the distance kicking showed up Foley's deficiencies very starkly.

Hanigan was good in a losing pack and Latu should have started. Simmons and Holloway were good but yet totally outplayed. It was that kind of match. Rona was shown up but Newsome had a great game off Clark's head knock.

And just to add a sour note the TMO intervention on Foley should have been red-carded. It was ridiculous.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Well that was a bloody ripper of a game I thought, best Aus conference game of year, and as a neutral even I couldn't look away. Really think in the end the Rebels just missed a cool head like Genia, as when they were ahead they probably overdid the helter skelter approach. I also thought matt Phillips had a ripper game as did I thought Rangi at 2. Meekes did some good stuff but was one who was a little guilty of not reining it in when they were ahead. All in all a bloody good game well worth watching!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Poor old Philip just happens to come on the scene when we have the best second row depth we’ve had for years. Would have been a shoo in a few years ago.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Great game from start to end but gee the Tahs seem to get away with a lot of things the Reds get carded for. If I was a Rebels fan I would think Rugby Australia wanted the Tahs to be in the finals. seems like a few cards could have gone the Tahs way this week

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
liquorbox_
I thought neck rolls were a yellow card?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great game from start to end but gee the Tahs seem to get away with a lot of things the Reds get carded for. If I was a Rebels fan I would think Rugby Australia wanted the Tahs to be in the finals. seems like a few cards could have gone the Tahs way this week
It's always the way, was obvious when the touchys were making such biased calls.

Meakes yellow was for lifting the leg? Someone show where he lifted the leg.

Twice the Tahs got lineouts that was out off them.

And Foley with no attempt to use his arms at all, arm facing straight down and shoulder straight to the head. Rebels should have walked off the field at that point and said the ARU are f#cking cheats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Great game. A credit to both sides.

Matt Philip had an outstanding game and was my pick as MOTM. I am also liking what I see of Holloway in the second row. Always thought he was a better back rower, but I think I'll have to change my mind on that.

Billy Meakes was a standout in defense and for most of the game kept KB (Kurtley Beale) out of it. His last pass for Foley to intercept was poor.

I was disappointed with Rona's game as I think he is on the cusp of national selection, but he seemed to find it hard to get into the game last night. Maddocks showed a lot of promise and will be special if he keeps up his development.

On a sour note, what was in the TMO's mind that caused us to have to sit through 3 minutes of absolute rubbish concerning Foley's tackle. Didn't even warrant a penalty let alone such a forensic analysis to try to find a reason to YC him. Get TMOs out of the game - only to be used at the invitation of the central ref.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Rebels should have walked off the field at that point and said the ARU are f#cking cheats.

Maybe the ARU cheated to get the Rebels in the comp, then allowed the salary cap to be cheated for the Rebel squad.

Unfortunately, the complaint is that the ARU cheated the Rebels out of the finals.

But hey … Two out of three ain't bad.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Great game. A credit to both sides.

Matt Philip had an outstanding game and was my pick as MOTM. I am also liking what I see of Holloway in the second row. Always thought he was a better back rower, but I think I'll have to change my mind on that.

Billy Meakes was a standout in defense and for most of the game kept KB (Kurtley Beale) out of it. His last pass for Foley to intercept was poor.

I was disappointed with Rona's game as I think he is on the cusp of national selection, but he seemed to find it hard to get into the game last night. Maddocks showed a lot of promise and will be special if he keeps up his development.

On a sour note, what was in the TMO's mind that caused us to have to sit through 3 minutes of absolute rubbish concerning Foley's tackle. Didn't even warrant a penalty let alone such a forensic analysis to try to find a reason to YC him. Get TMOs out of the game - only to be used at the invitation of the central ref.

Meakes is a proper pest (in a good way). In everyone's face, defensively strong, abrasive and capable in attack. Rona was well closed down - Beale and Foley weren't getting the mis-matches in wider channels to get him away - Rebels shut things down really well.
Philip's all round game impressed, but his carrying really impressed me.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought he was poor. Didn't have a lot of impact around the park and the Tahs lineout was abysmal after he came on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I guess you were right, about him being better suited to test rugby than Super rugby. Weird that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess you were right, about him being better suited to test rugby than Super rugby. Weird that.

He can play much better than that. I think he'll bounce back next week after a full week in camp.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting by the end of the season.

It's not that Latu isn't suited to Super Rugby. He can be a really dynamic player. It's just that Fitzpatrick is suited to Super Rugby where his smaller size doesn't get found out and his workrate really shines through.

Status
Not open for further replies.