• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby T-T R5: Brumbies v Highlanders

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So what’s the solution? Another Super AU then a one round TT again? How is that better?

The Australian teams need to improve, sure and I think the Force and the Rebels need strategic recruiting of OS players. The Waratahs need to secure 1-2 top shelf tight forwards and an outside back as well. But we need to be playing the NZ sides.

Preferably with the inclusion of a couple of teams like the mooted Fijian & Pacifica sides.

It is not up to me as a fan to find a solution but if RA want to keep people like me as a fan rather then leave en mass as many others done over the last decade they need to find a solution as these lopsided contests hold no appeal. Equally if nzru are so desparate have oz teams and oz fans watching TT they need to be part of the solution and stop with the it ain’t my problem attitude.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It is bat-shit crazy to have a competition where the five NZ sides play the five Aus sides. The solution, if TT is to continue, is to have every team play every other one at least once.

However, if they (whoever they are) keep appointing second and third rate NZ referees to games in Aus, then no structural solution will save the TT from extinction. I don't have a lot of time for the likes of Berry, as most will know, but he is clearly a step up from the likes of Fraser, O'Keefe, Williams et al.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
The Brumbies are the unsung heroes of Super Rugby TT. Denied the Evil Empire a BP in Christchurch. Played dead for the Blues in Auckland. Now concede a BP, and decent PD, to the Highlanders in Canberra. Truly they are amongst the most committed to the cause of defeating the Evil Empire of Cantabistan. God bless you Canberra, you absolute GC's.

DP just to be clear
tenor.gif

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Highlights

So equation for CruSadists is a 33+ win (BP kinda takes care of itself with that margin). Not saying it'll be easy but if they can't do that they don't deserve to be on the hallowed turf of Eden Park next week (& are clearly inferior to the mighty Aux). OK that last bit was sarcasm but y'all know what I mean.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan you are one deluded bastard to keep banging on we need a full TT comp without any fixes - it was hard enough watching 5 rounds of this crap. If they go with full TT next year without any fixes this is just going to speed up the trajectory of massive decline of oz interest in super rugby that was already in place pre covid.

Of course there needs to be fixes, but the obvious one isn't going to happen!! RA is commited to extra team, so no way will they cut one.
As I pointed out Super Au this year has had less average crowds than full super 2017-19, so that obviously not the answer either.
As has been said, a lot of answers involve anything except Aus teams getting better it seems! Which will bring rugby back to where it was 10-12 years ago in Aus. Unfortunately all options are going to take time!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Therein lies the problem. No Aussie team will get close to a finals berth.

If you wanna send rugby broke within five years full TT is a great first step.

I actually disagree, I really believe that both Reds and Brumbies are capable of handling Kiwi teams , if they play them enough. Having a 'Lite" comp first takes to long to get up to speed in harder one!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of course there needs to be fixes, but the obvious one isn't going to happen!! RA is commited to extra team, so no way will they cut one.
As I pointed out Super Au this year has had less average crowds than full super 2017-19, so that obviously not the answer either.
As has been said, a lot of answers involve anything except Aus teams getting better it seems! Which will bring rugby back to where it was 10-12 years ago in Aus. Unfortunately all options are going to take time!

Dan that is the point - major changes sure - and of course as part of that us getting better but can we field 5 oz sides against 5 kiwi sides and be competitive?. No. Can we have years of similar results while we wait to improve and expect to retain fans and not destroy what is left or not lose further fans to competing footy codes? No.

As I said up to RA and NZRU what they do both short and long term but beyond the very rusted on fans won’t put up with another season of this shite. And yeh just jettisoning in imports ain’t going to solve this. Anyhow up to others to solve this and not me but your kidding yourself if fans won’t continue to leave in droves...and also I don’t think fair to compare crowds vs bigger picture of tv ratings for super rugby au as covid impacted crowds with people less willing to go to places where crowds.

I don’t want to pick a fight as both agree changes are needed but I disagree with others who think we can think we just continue on and play nz teams and hope in 5 years we get better as point being there won’t be any fans in 5 years If we continue to watch the lopsided crap we have had to endure with this years TT. I just hope BOTH RA and NZRU realise this TT as is dire and both realise they need to look at what they can do to fix it both short and long term. rant over...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan that is the point - major changes sure - and of course as part of that us getting better but can we field 5 oz sides against 5 kiwi sides and be competitive?. No. Can we have years of similar results while we wait to improve and expect to retain fans and not destroy what is left or not lose further fans to competing footy codes? No.

As I said up to RA and NZRU what they do both short and long term but beyond the very rusted on fans won’t put up with another season of this shite. And yeh just jettisoning in imports ain’t going to solve this. Anyhow up to others to solve this and not me but your kidding yourself if fans won’t continue to leave in droves.and also I don’t think fair to compare crowds vs bigger picture of tv ratings for super rugby au as covid impacted crowds with people less willing to go to places where crowds.

I don’t want to pick a fight as both agree changes are needed but I disagree with others who think we can think we just continue on and play nz teams and hope in 5 years we get better as point being there won’t be any fans in 5 years If we continue to watch the lopsided crap we have had to ensure with this TT. I just hope BOTH RA and NZRU realise this TT as is dire and both realise they need to look at what they can do to fix it both short and long term. rant over.

Mate, I do generally agree with most things you are saying. Just like you I really buggered if I can think what proper answer is.

And only reson I really mentioned the crowds for how game is going, it only way we can judge really. It's super's first year of being on FTA, and Stan won't or can't tell s how many stream each game. Mind you streaming services like pay TV don't really care how many watch each game, just how many sign up so they can watch some games.
But regardless I not sure there any quick fixes, RA just have to come up with a plan that won't run them broke I think.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Dan, you trotted out that fake news about crowds before and it was soundly despatched by one of the true blue posters as I recall. Certainly in respect of the Brumbies, their crowds have improved markedly this year over 2019, 2020.

EDIT : as far as a fix is concerned, I reckon SRAu should just pull out of TT altogether and we'll see how quickly our NZ rugby friends take a different view of matters.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dan, you trotted out that fake news about crowds before and it was soundly despatched by one of the true blue posters as I recall. Certainly in respect of the Brumbies, their crowds have improved markedly this year over 2019, 2020.

EDIT : as far as a fix is concerned, I reckon SRAu should just pull out of TT altogether and we'll see how quickly our NZ rugby friends take a different view of matters.

Agreed. You see the Crusaders CEO say that 'Aussie sides have to play in a TT'?

Didn't proffer any solutions. Just demands. Fuckwits.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Whoops, for a moment there I thought I had accidentally stumbled into the Brumbies v Highlanders match thread....
Yeah, I made the same mistake. I was travelling and missed the game and had to check if I had the time/ date right.

Pretty sure there is a sook'n'bitch - all the reasons why and why not TT thread elsewhere. Correct me if I am wrong?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Ok you and RN (as he liked your post so agrees) can tell me when I trotted this out before and some true blue soundly despatched it? Please do , I am calling you a true blue liar actually. Of course unless you can show me where I put up crowd figures that were wrong? And I would bet anything that you and RN don't show me where my figures were wrong.
What different view do you want NZR or whoever to take?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan if you could also recognise nzru gave a role to play to help design a competition that works to meet wider interests and long term growth of the game In the region (and prepared to equally put things on the table than rather being just about nzru interests) we might be closer to agreement. Structural things RA need to do for sure but nzru have a role to play in this which I don’t think they accepted up till recent times. I hope this is changing after last years shanigans where the rugby public and world turned on nzru behaviour and perceived arrogance.

Of course they had a role in design of a comp , and also probably should of been more vocal when Aus wanted to put in extra teams that were going to dilute their player pools.
But I think you have to recognise that they were one of three on board , and probably weren't the ones who suggested that Aus should make extra teams. I not claiming anyone innocent, just saying your continual insistance that everything is NZR's fault is one of the problems .

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Of course they had a role in design of a comp , and also probably should of been more vocal when Aus wanted to put in extra teams that were going to dilute their player pools.
But I think you have to recognise that they were one of three on board , and probably weren't the ones who suggested that Aus should make extra teams. I not claiming anyone innocent, just saying your continual insistance that everything is NZR's fault is one of the problems .

Dan I think there lies the problem - you think i am saying all NZR fault when I actually don’t ever say that but rather I actually believe it is your continued insistence that all our fault and we should just accomodate kiwi interests to cut a team to suit a kiwi designed competition.

I keep talking about RA and NZRU collaboration and all you ever talk about is what RA needs to do (read your recent posts) and cutting a team is the answer. And how did this go for us last time we did this when we cut the Force? Seriously mate just stop as your attitude is part the problem and not part of the solution.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan I think there lies the problem - you think i am saying all NZR fault when I actually don’t ever say that but rather I actually believe it is your continued insistence that all our fault and we should just accomodate kiwi interests to cut a team to suit a kiwi designed competition.

I keep talking about RA and NZRU collaboration and all you ever talk about is what RA needs to do (read your recent posts) and cutting a team is the answer. And how did this go for us last time we did this when we cut the Force? Seriously mate just stop as your attitude is part the problem and not part of the solution.

No I never suggested cutting a team was the answer and never would, even you have said that is the only way to strengthen Aus teams is have less. I have said and still do , that is the obvious answer, not the right one!
I really just say that to you as you keep insisting it up to NZR to change their selection policy for it to work, and I don't believe it is.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agreed. You see the Crusaders CEO say that 'Aussie sides have to play in a TT'?

Didn't proffer any solutions. Just demands. Fuckwits.

Isn't that what Brad Thorn also said? That Aus teams NEED to be in TT comp? No solutions only demands?
I think what you will find both these fellas are saying for the sake of both NZR and RA Aussie (and NZ) sides need to be in TT.