• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rnd 4 Reds v Drua, Suncorp Satdium 12/3 @ 6:45pm AEST

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Flook continues to impress, as does Stewart.

Weird game - plenty of good stuff, but gee some things that need addressing too. But I’ll take the win.

I don’t know you could drop one of the back row at the moment. Uru had a real night out.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Drua big improvers and won’t take that away from them but even before there 3 quick tries I could not help but think about kiwi team games not far away and getting concerned of the gaps that continue to exist between oz and kiwi teams.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Happy to see the Drua improving, not happy to see Reds almost lose but I really want to see the Drua perform well and the fans and players to get behind the team. They can be happy with that performance

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Honestly, given the fortnight some of these blokes have gone through, they flew back from Perth, the number of blokes out, the number of blokes who have been called into the squad and never played with each other, I can live with the butt clenching win.

Sure as hell beats the narrow loses of 2010.

Drua did excellent to pressure the Reds into making mistakes and then ensured they capitalised on those mistakes.

Im a bit miffed why it wasn't 13 v 13 for awhile, why didn't both Drua get sent (or one get a red) on that spear tackle. For anyone watching the TV, why wasn't it a penalty for that mid air tackle on Pasami on the 78th minute?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Honestly, given the fortnight some of these blokes have gone through, they flew back from Perth, the number of blokes out, the number of blokes who have been called into the squad and never played with each other, I can live with the butt clenching win.

Sure as hell beats the narrow loses of 2010.

Drua did excellent to pressure the Reds into making mistakes and then ensured they capitalised on those mistakes.

Im a bit miffed why it wasn't 13 v 13 for awhile, why didn't both Drua get sent (or one get a red) on that spear tackle. For anyone watching the TV, why wasn't it a penalty for that mid air tackle on Pasami on the 78th minute?

I thought the tackle on Paisami should have been reviewed.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
its not surprising but old mate was saying that Thorne subbed to early and be a great lesson for him... I just dont think its a lesson.. he wouldnt normal do it..
Yeah It was called before the game that Jock would get time at 10, and this Is the game to do it. Early on in season and a decent lead at the time.

Nongorr getting valuable minutes as starting THP is critical to building depth, Grealy also given some time after missing out on minutes the last couple of weeks.

I’m sure the score line made them uncomfortable and regret doing it so early though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty disappointing by the Reds. Not a great performance. No doubting the yellow cards (and the prolonged decision making process) sucked it out of them. As it did the crowd.

Definite positives in that the experienced players are stepping up. Wilson, McReight, JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart all fantastic. Petaia showed his class at fullback and Uru was brilliant. But the decision making is a little concerning.

The pick and drive game we’ve used so well in the last couple of games would have been dynamite tonight. Never saw it.

The discipline remains a massive concern as was our inaccuracies at the ruck.

An injury free Brumbies must be licking their lips.

At least the Reds found another way to win. They deserve huge credit for that. Some fantastic against all odds wins this year.

But it’ll take a lot more than that next week.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
its not surprising but old mate was saying that Thorne subbed to early and be a great lesson for him... I just dont think its a lesson.. he wouldnt normal do it..

Still. On a results based analysis, I'd humbly suggest that Thorn's subbing was perfect. I don't doubt he might prefer less risk next time. But it worked.

Targeting the Drua game for these actions is also not surprising. If Thorn learns anything I hope it is, that was a risk, it worked and it was worth while.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Drua big improvers and won’t take that away from them but even before there 3 quick tries I could not help but think about kiwi team games not far away and getting concerned of the gaps that continue to exist between oz and kiwi teams.
I think having the drua in our patch gives us a much better chance of getting use to playing against generally much more solid players (as the kiwi's are) than the oz players are. I think that's really good.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
At least the Reds found another way to win. They deserve huge credit for that. Some fantastic against all odds wins this year.

But it’ll take a lot more than that next week.

This much, emphatically, I agree with.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think one issue with the early replacements was replacing the wrong players. Paisami and Petaia were cooked , but left on too long.

With the benefit of hindsight, Flook could have been moved to 13 for Paisami and JOC (James O'Connor) to 15 for Petaia. Would have still given Campbell a crack at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) there to step in if needed and replaced what appeared to be our two most fatigued players.

Well done Dura for the effort and on a positive note for the Reds , managed a win when a boil over was brewing. Also the backrow again were very good, really liking Uru at 6 , the backrow is currently well balanced.

The standout concern for me was the Reds’ lack of ball security, both in attacking rucks and general play. Not sure we showed the opposition enough respect when we had the ball, pushed passed, not enough urgency to clean out etc . Turned over at rucks too often and handling errors/ poor options in general play are a worry , particularly when you think what the NZ teams will do if we keep turning the ball over.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Thorne reacting positively to commentator thoughts that Flook, Petaia, Jock being a good back three. A balanced back three.

Interesting. Certainly each has talent in spades.
Interesting that Petaia re-signed with Rugby Australia this week and makes his first start at fullback after some pretty solid performances by Campbell. Or maybe I am just reading too much into it.

Anway interesting performance at fullback by Petaia all be it a he is not an orthodox fullback and it looked like they were going thru a positional barn dance routine across the backline. I was getting Chekia and Nathan Gray flashbacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Great game as a neutral. Byrne must be loving the improvement every week - Drua are developing the game management to go with their natural talent.

Some bizarre events but nothing really untoward in the refereeing. The players should know the Laws by now.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
What was the go with Flook? I thought he came off with a jaw issue in first half? But then started second half.

Im guessing head knock of some sort.

Jordy looked good at fullback, but if we are being critical, it was against the weakest defence in the competition. Drua very good at putting points on, but really struggle to keep them out. I can’t think of a game with more 50m+ breaks from both sides for quite some time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think having the drua in our patch gives us a much better chance of getting use to playing against generally much more solid players (as the kiwi's are) than the oz players are. I think that's really good.
Yep oz teams with Fiji drua as our domestic competition may be enough as Fiji I agree will quickly set a kiwi like standard. I think the improvement in Fiji drua is showing the gapin oz teams being able to get to that level. Maybe he because we don’t get the best talent given competition with other footy codes

Last edited: