• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rnd 4 Reds v Drua, Suncorp Satdium 12/3 @ 6:45pm AEST

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I dunno if the Drua will ever be successful in bringing back much of their OS talent. If anything I think they may struggle for continuity from season to season because I imagine the European clubs will come at their best with healthy offers each year. But I hope it gives Fiji a more accessible core group of players to base their national side around and, if it does, that in itself will be a real bonus.
Frank Lomani for one returned early from his Euro gig to take part. Let's face it, all SH rugby faces the same battle for talent.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Watch the highlights then. That’s what I did. And he didn’t come from the side.
Please correct me if I am wrong TSR, but I thought he played the defender in front of the ball which hadn't emerged from the ruck at that stage,. Wouldn't that make him in front of the last feet and offside?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
??? Almost everyone you clean out is in front of the ball.

There is no rule about where you make contact. Only where you enter from and in what direction.

He enters from behind the last feet and he enters in a North South direction. The fact that the player is on the edge of the breakdown means he enters at the edge of the breakdown, but there is still nothing illegal about the clean out.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I will have to disagree and probably be wrong. To me, it wasa clear case of offside because he made contact well in front of the ball and the last feet.

Are you suggesting that he is not offside because he makes contact with an opposition player whereas had he simply been in front of the back feet but not in contact then he would have been offside and rightly so.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Watched the replay of this game today and enjoyed it immensely. Some of the attack from both sides was fantastic to watch but I thought the Reds were a little careless in contact a few times, as well as being a bit slow to the breakdown. That said, their short passing game to the edges was excellent and it netted them multiple tries. Jordy at fullback mostly worked I thought and I'd like (for the sake of the Wallabies) for him to stay there for the rest of the Super season. We're weak in that position and he could be the answer. Hunter was magnificent at OC too. For such a small bloke he's good good power in contact and his option taking has improved out of sight.

I should also say that I'm really enjoying having the Drua as part of the competition this season and long may it continue.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m sorry, I don’t really understand the second paragraph BR and nor do I understand your reference to being in front of the ball. You can’t reach back and pick up the ball if you are in front of the ball. I’m not aware of any rule that says you can’t make contact with a player in front of the ball.

If you think he came in from the side, then I clearly think the footage shows he didn’t. But if you still think he did I am happy to agree to disagree.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
To clarify TSR, if the backline creeps up in front of the back feet at a ruck, they are most often penalised even though they have no contact with an opposition player. What is the difference with Smith? He may have come from onside but until the ruck is over in my opinion he becomes offside as soon as he moves in front of the back feet. The fact he is cleaning out an opposition player near or attached to the ruck should be immaterial.

I have no issue with the Reds winning the game, and if, as you say, they were playing under advantage, then they were destined to win anyway. I just have issues with what Smith did at that ruck and with it being not reviewed or ruled on.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
If we‘re going to play this game of look at what the ref missed, the Fijian Drua winger who Smith cleaned out could have been penalised for firstly entering the ruck from the side, secondly not been on his feet when he first had a crack at the ball(placing hands forward for balance then dragging back is a focus of refs in 2022) and thirdly having a crack at the ball after a ruck is formed. The referee even told the player hands off.

If we critically break down any ruck which occurred earlier in this game, and even in the Brumbies game :eek:, you could examine any number of rucks and find the same subjective number of decisions made.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
BR the difference is that the backline aren’t part of the ruck and never join it. Smith is.

I believe you are arguing that he isn’t part of the ruck until he makes contact with the Fijian player and, because that guy is beyond the last feet, he is offside. How many clean-outs actually occur adjacent to the ‘last feet’? Hardly any. So almost every person who completes a clean out would be offside based on what you are suggesting.

What is relevant is the entry point of Smith and the direction he is moving in when he enters and, to me, that is legal.

Happy for you to have the last say if you think I’m misinterpreting you but I am going to leave it there.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
TSR, I was going to let the matter rest but I do think you are still missing my point about why Smith was offside. He, Smith, was in front of the Reds last feet. That was my point, not that the Drua player was beyond the last feet.

With one extra observation that I can't ever recall a similar clean out at the back of the opposing ruck not being penalised, then I agree that we'll disagree and perhaps leave it at that. Great talking with you.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
TSR, I was going to let the matter rest but I do think you are still missing my point about why Smith was offside. He, Smith, was in front of the Reds last feet. That was my point, not that the Drua player was beyond the last feet.

With one extra observation that I can't ever recall a similar clean out at the back of the opposing ruck not being penalised, then I agree that we'll disagree and perhaps leave it at that. Great talking with you.

Worth remembering Uru wasn’t the last feet. He was going for the ball. The last feet was either Creighton or Uru himself as they seemed to bind at the same time.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Worth remembering Uru wasn’t the last feet. He was going for the ball. The last feet was either Creighton or Uru himself as they seemed to bind at the same time.
? Not sure of your reference to Uru Reg. I haven't mentioned him in the discussion except for recording him as the try scorer.