• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rd. 7. Rebels v Hurricanes at AAMI Park, Friday 30th @ 7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
First trans-Tasman hit out of the season and the Rebels are running with the wind at their backs.

Hurricanes' big guns are about as good as they get. Stopping the likes of Barrett squared, Smith, Coles, Perenara and Savea squared will be tricky.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
It will be a mighty challenge for the Rebels. Hurricanes are a step up on everyone else ATM. But may the Rebels embrace the challenge with humble confidence and never give up.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
TJ Perenana is lucky Im away this weekend. Force fans the game is on Good Friday so the crowd might only be 10-12k cause alot of Melbournians get out of town.

I was looking forward to abusing that little bollocks from the sideline. Hopefully Mafi and Coleman rub at him a few times early cause I think he gets rattled to easy and starts whinning more than playing. (Watch the last 10 min of the 2nd Lions test and you will see what I mean)

Disrupt his quick ball and we have a chamce, don't and I think BB will make us pay.

The wings is a mouth watering clash at the moment me, but id rather the piggies have a day out and keep the ball in tight.

Canes by less than 10 will be a good result for the Rebels.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It will be interesting to see how that wrap play works for the Rebels backs, they must have used it 4 times inside the first 20 minutes against the Sharks and made a line break at least 3/4 times. I’m sure the Hurricanes will do their homework so hopefully the Rebels bring a little bit of variation.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
First trans-Tasman hit out of the season and the Rebels are running with the wind at their backs.

Hurricanes' big guns are about as good as they get. Stopping the likes of Barrett squared, Smith, Coles, Perenara and Savea squared will be tricky.

Which Smith is that?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The best Smith in Wellington.

skysports-toby-smith-super-rugby_4053279.jpg

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

No worries there Tex, Coles is out for a few months, Ardie Savea is almost certainly out, and I buggered if I can think of a Smith that will worry you from the Canes!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Coles hasn't played this season (did his ACL), Ardie Savea isn't going all that well now and Julian hasn't gone well for at least 12 months and I think is now injured. The Hurricanes are favourites for the tournament because of the totality of their team not because of a few stars. They could lose either of the Barretts and still be just as dangerous, they've got Milner-Skudder to come back too. IMO Laumape is the player they can least afford to lose.

I think the game will be a bridge too far, but the Rebels will get a lot closer than some of their conference rivals.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Stand corrected and slightly comforted by those outs - must improve my following of NZ rugby...

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Maybe not weeks, but he'll probably be out for this match.

It's "doubtful" Hurricanes flanker Ardie Savea with front for Friday's clash with the Rebels. Savea was forced from Westpac Stadium with rib trouble, just before halftime in Saturday's 29-12 win over the Highlanders. While there's no structural damage, Savea's still pretty tender.

"[A.Savea] presented better today but we'll only make a call on him maybe tomorrow, see how he shapes up. Matty P [centre Matt Proctor] is the same. You'd have to say Ardie was doubtful," Hurricanes assistant coach John Plumtree said on Monday. Proctor has a sternum complaint, with Vince Aso primed to replace him if need be.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ful-starter-for-hurricanes-against-the-rebels

On the flip side Vaea Fifita could be back.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I do remember playing the Canes about three years ago when we were in with a chance until some awkward ref calls and our old half time tiredness took its toll and we lost badly. Some Cane players are still in the team, not so many Rebels players still in town. But with the new and improved team we are a lot fitter, so no more half time wobbly knees and our boys have much better attack and defence strategies, so all in all, we will be competitive. If only we could arrange a 42 hour transit for the Canes that would help.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If only we could arrange a 42 hour transit for the Canes that would help.
If anyone knows where they are staying talk to the chef and screw with the game day routine. Its Good Friday after all so it won't be hard to says this and that are not available.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I do remember playing the Canes about three years ago when we were in with a chance until some awkward ref calls and our old half time tiredness took its toll and we lost badly. Some Cane players are still in the team, not so many Rebels players still in town. But with the new and improved team we are a lot fitter, so no more half time wobbly knees and our boys have much better attack and defence strategies, so all in all, we will be competitive. If only we could arrange a 42 hour transit for the Canes that would help.

Not including the Waratahs game i assume? The last 20 are when Kiwi teams put everyone to the sword and i fully expect the same against the Rebels.

Rebels to be well in it until the 60th when a couple of flying triple back-flip corner tries to Lam or Aso finish the match off.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Wes Goosen on the bench so JSav really needs to do something this week if he wants to stay in the XV (& 23 once Milner-Skudder returns some time in April).

Hurricanes (15-1): Jordie Barrett, Julian Savea, Vince Aso, Ngani Laumape, Ben Lam, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Gareth Evans, Sam Henwood, Brad Shields (c), Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Ben May, Ricky Riccitelli, Chris Eves. Reserves (16-23): Asafo Aumua, Fraser Armstrong, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Michael Fatialofa, Reed Prinsep, Jamie Booth, Ihaia West, Wes Goosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.