• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby Rd 6 Rebels v Sharks, Fri 23rd of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
to be fair we butchered several chances tonight. I thought the score flattered the sharks who had a few moments but we're mostly very bad.

It says something when you can look at them and that they are clearly missing chances with lots of room for improvement and then it is their biggest win ever.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Pleased to see Saaga rotated into the 23. Here’s hoping he rumbles over some unfortunate tired Sharks when he comes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my boy!!!

How good was that from Fereti. Solid 25m run there and a meat pie too. With this Rebels team being apparently 99% Force players it's good to see a home grown, true blue, grass roots Melbournite go well.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
great game - the boys are getting better and better - in with a chance for success next week

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some of the best footy I've seen the Rebels play and, for that matter, some of the best Rugby from an Aus side since the Reds won the comp. One thing that drove me nuts though were the wide cut out passes on the breakouts when there were support players in space....one of my pet hates. FFS commit a defender, pass the ball to the bloke next to you who commits another defender and puts the winger away. Seems to be a lost art these days. Throwing the long cut out just allows the defence to slide. Nitpicking after a great win, I know but geez it give me the irrits.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Some of the best footy I've seen the Rebels play and, for that matter, some of the best Rugby from an Aus side since the Reds won the comp. One thing that drove me nuts though were the wide cut out passes on the breakouts when there were support players in space..one of my pet hates. FFS commit a defender, pass the ball to the bloke next to you who commits another defender and puts the winger away. Seems to be a lost art these days. Throwing the long cut out just allows the defence to slide. Nitpicking after a great win, I know but geez it give me the irrits.

Like when Maddocks' cut out ball to Naivalu when Korobeite was right there? Then Naivalu eventually threw that ball that went straight to a shark instead of sliding in the corner.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I enjoyed the game, and agree the Rebels continue to look good, I said before season started no way will it be a clean sweep to Kiwi sides this year, and I see Rebels as one of the teams to pick up a win or 2 against them. As a kiwi I actually rate the Tahs and Reds chances for a game or 2 also.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I enjoyed the game, and agree the Rebels continue to look good, I said before season started no way will it be a clean sweep to Kiwi sides this year, and I see Rebels as one of the teams to pick up a win or 2 against them. As a kiwi I actually rate the Tahs and Reds chances for a game or 2 also.

Rebels deserve credit for a pretty clinical win and I agree with you I think Rebels should beat at least one NZ team this season. But I don't expect it next weekend against the Hurricanes, I see Wellington as clear favourites and any wins this year by any Aus teams will be an upset.

Also think it's a distinct advantage for the Rebels to play their first NZ team at home.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I gave up on them when they fluffed a few chances when the Shorks were down to 14 early in the first half.
Good on 'em. And, for the Force supporters, come on guys, we know you have all had a kick in the guts, most of us have.

Every year players move around from one franchse to another. It is a professional game now, allegiances are fluid.I loved the advent of the Force, and it was a sad day for all true rugby people when they got the chop.

But being sorry to see them go should not affect our attitude towards the game as a whole, or the Rebels in particular.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Shiggins I love the contibution all the ex Force players and staff have made to the Rebels but 6/15 is lees than 50% of the run on 15 tonight.
Missing dhp who is an instant pick .

Without the force players and coach the rebels would be dead last.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Like when Maddocks' cut out ball to Naivalu when Korobeite was right there? Then Naivalu eventually threw that ball that went straight to a shark instead of sliding in the corner.

I think Naivalu looks out of sorts at the moment, his decision making can be quite average.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Naivalu looks out of sorts at the moment, his decision making can be quite average.
Were times where both he and Marika could have pinned their ears back and headed straight for the corner rather than cutting inside. The real test will be next week when Naiavalu and Koroibete line up against Savea and Lam, should be some big collisions as those guys run into each other.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
It says something when you can look at them and that they are clearly missing chances with lots of room for improvement and then it is their biggest win ever.
Not sure if there is sarcasm there or not but yes, if the team truly clicks then they will be very hard to stop.

I'll take the wins but keeping my feet grounded right now. I've always said in professional rugby the margins are very small and when a team plays well, it's usually because the other team let's them. We let the tahs play last week and they took it. This week the sharks let us play and mostly we took it too.

The really encouraging thing for me this year is we are finally good enough to really take the opportunities and the awesome thing is, as many have said on this thread, there is still room for lots of improvement.

T

TOCC

Watching the replay of when Naiavalu threw that pass back infield, I think he recognised he was running out of space and the angle of his run was towards the sideline, I doubt he would have been able to even slide into the corner. It's a split second decision, but It would have taken a superhuman effort for him to ground that ball without being taken out.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Watching the replay of when Naiavalu threw that pass back infield, I think he recognised he was running out of space and the angle of his run was towards the sideline, I doubt he would have been able to even slide into the corner. It's a split second decision, but It would have taken a superhuman effort for him to ground that ball without being taken out.

I think it was the best option available to him at the time. Almost exactly the same circumstances as his effort v the Brumbies two weeks ago.

Billy Meakes and Hodge would be the preferred centre combination after the last two rounds. Very effective from both of them, and Hodge is playing smarter and smarter as he progresses.

Shiggins when are you coming to Melbourne for a home game?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I think all oz sides could get at least one win against kiwi sides the way they are playing but of course still expect to lose more than win. But most of us oz rugby supporters would keep those beliefs quiet given last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.