• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well see Crusaders doing their stuff on news last night, once again, not a lot , but just helping to keep rugby in people's minds during this time of bugger all.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ I like that they've found a way to not have someone paying to have their name on the front of the jersey but are instead donating a few dollars from every merch sale to charity.

I doubt even @zer0 could find an ulterior motive for them doing this...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^ I like that they've found a way to not have someone paying to have their name on the front of the jersey but are instead donating a few dollars from every merch sale to charity.

I doubt even @zer0 could find an ulterior motive for them doing this...

It does concern me though, for a different reason. The long term health of Super Rugby is closely tied to its financial viability. If a team like the Crusaders, who win repetitively, can't lock up a full paying front-of-jersey sponsor what chance a team like the Highlanders? Or any of the less successful Australian teams? Sponsors pay the bills and Super, with its huge travel costs is not a cheap competition to maintain.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Other teams have worn charities on their jerseys before, it’s because they couldn’t find a major sponsor willing to pay what they’re asking.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Sorry guys it doesn’t really corroborate it, 100% this is because they couldn’t find a sponsor willing to pay the asking price.

promoting a charity is a positive spin so they don’t have to sell for less and devalue the jersey. As plenty of other sporting teams have done over the years

No Super Rugby club is flush with cash they can willingly forgo their major sponsor, won’t be surprised to see them announce a new sponsor mid-season. Doesn’t mean it’s not a nice gesture in the interim though.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It doesn't actually say they are giving them the front of jersey for free, but seems there some deal, even giving $5 a jersey is pretty good regardless. Seems not getting a sponsor is not really a problem for Crusaders, christ they also got Coolabah, Gib and 2 degrees on jersey. With them playing in Britain pre season ads value to jersey. I actually read that with the Chiefs and Blues playing games in Japan and so getting televised there etc, it adds value to space on jerseys.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ looks like back to me:

IMG_1202.JPG

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
The SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Board has held their first strategy session.

No CEO, no independent directors but I guess it's a start. I'm a little concerned by the thought process behind the CEO not necessarily having a sports background, I'd have thought that was pretty much a given even if they come to the role from the marketing/ business side of things.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I like the sound of a couple of CEOs working together etc and in general being on same page etc. Good bloody start!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I’d be shocked if someone isn’t saying let’s speed up the game and up ball in play.
I would have clocks to get set for a line out and if you delay beyond that it’s a free kick to the opposite team.
Same story on scrum and the clock doesn’t start until the ball is fed into the scrum
Keep the kicking clock but have the game clock stop until the kick is taken
The clock should be going when the ball is contestable.
Stop until scrum is fed
Stop until lineout throw ocxurs
Stop until kick is taken
You have a time period to get line out set, get scrum set and take your penalty kick for touch or for goal.
This will also up fatigue providing more line breaks, subs on earlier leading to more fatigue later in the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Sir Arthur Higgins , I actually not real convinced stopping clock is answer, I all for your idea of free kicks for taking to long.
I laughed in WC final when Boks were taking time and etc and Savea complained to Barnes he said I've stopped the clock. That does not help the flow of game.
I would make all players injured be taken off field for treatment, and NO wtaerboys on field at all, you need a drink run to sideline while game is going on etc. Obviously for extreme heat you can have breaks etc, but I never believed stopping clock helps keep game flowing, or punishes unfit teams.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
injured players is tough cause safety has to be paramount for the injured player so getting off the field not always easy.
i suppose in the instance you can't get yourself off the field, the game could be stopped, you get off and a free kick to the team that had the ball with a sub coming on while player is injured and he can't be off for more than 5 minutes otherwise its an automatic sub.

I think you need to stop the clock and have a countdown clock
stopping the clock ensures the ball is in play more of the actual game time and you can't chip away at time by taking the maximum allowable time
while at the same time, the countdown clock ensures you pick up.

admittedly mostly an issue for scrums and kicks versus lineouts.

but the game needs to speed up. yes nfl has lots of stops but when it is going it is all action. NRL largely the same.

i think a clock on scrums may de emphasize scrums a bit - not so they are irrelevant but to increase the focus on getting on with the game not and not setting up for the perfect power hit.

question is how do we keep the things that make us unique while also making the game more entertaining.

I think addressing the jackal / rucking, speeding up scrums, kicks and lineouts all go to doing that and if you couple that with saying "yes you can take he full 30 seconds to set up the scrum but you aren't milking the clock" then i think we're in a good spot. growing up, you are always on your feet in a ruck. I think once a ruck has formed, the jackal should have to let go of the ball. you want to win the ball in a ruck situation, get on your feet/get to the ruck fast and first and get the ball.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I would also add that you can take about fan engagement all you want and social media and whatever else, but if you draw people in, without good product you aren't going to keep them.
so fix the game first, draw people in and keep them there with good product.

when it is good, it is very good. bad rugby can be pretty awful to watch - and that's the same with every sport for sure, but we need to up the average quality of each game from an entertainment perspective.

so i dont really buy into this fan engagement stuff first. the rebels do a great job and they get about 7k to a game.....

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I would also add that you can take about fan engagement all you want and social media and whatever else, but if you draw people in, without good product you aren't going to keep them.
so fix the game first, draw people in and keep them there with good product.

when it is good, it is very good. bad rugby can be pretty awful to watch - and that's the same with every sport for sure, but we need to up the average quality of each game from an entertainment perspective.

so i dont really buy into this fan engagement stuff first. the rebels do a great job and they get about 7k to a game.....
There it is. This is also why the idea of National comp worries me. Do we actually have the talent to spread and create quality games. Might be fun for the first few rounds but if it's average it will fail.

When Super Rugby was thriving it was a good product with the best talent playing the best style in competitive games.

I'm not a huge fan of comparing to the NFL and how it can be slow but remain popular. It's such a juggernaut in the global sporting landscape I don't think someone from the NFL could advise Rugby on how to become more popular other than say "make more money and saturate the media". It seems a lot of the NFL coverage is about listening to experts analyse the game as much as the play.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
the nfl is attractive because it has many of the best athletes in the world playing a fast paced game that when it is on, it is basically just action.
Canadian Football League (CFL) is materially less popular on a relative basis in Canada mainly because 1) the structure of the game is inferior to the NFL game and 2) the calibre of players are second rate versus the NFL.

i personally think the NFL consultants would say "you have too many teams for your talent base, cut teams or import talent - the latter requires money you don't presently have - so its probably the former. less teams of high quality will improve the calibre of the competition overall which should help you draw in more fans, making more money, eventually enabling you to expand again. once you have the right product, then you work on the fan engagement that draws and keeps fans"

I think the most intelligent second tier below super, is a second XV at each super rugby club that plays a domestic home and away season to save on costs of travel and other overhead associated with staff and facilities. Call it something else (in canada we have the CHL, OHL and WHL) which are all feeder clubs to NHL teams for the most part and increasingly some of these clubs are located in the same city as their NHL affilliate). these clubs are more advanced than a second super tier so they stand on their own a bit more

great melbourne club players get signed up to the Melbourne Rising and eventually to the Rebels and hopefully the Wallabies with each level providing an increasingly professional set up.

i suppose a national club comp could work but sounds like perth probably gets cut out - financial reasons alone would make them a difficult sell to include in an amateur competition....eventually the path here in my mind would be you have super club comp and the best funded clubs play in the Super Club Comp and other clubs play in the local competition

you're going to create haves and have nots with this structure, but its probably already there to be honest.