• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any reason NSW squad only 33 vs QLD near 40???

1699494329751.png

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Oli Jager has just this week asked for an early release to "pursue an opportunity elsewhere", presumably he's given up on being an AB & is heading back North.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Codie Taylor taking a non-playing sabbatical so will miss all but the final few rounds of Super Rugby 2024. Hence the fourth hooker in CruSadists' squad.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I quite liked having the announcements all on the same day. Much better than random drops all over the place. Hopefully bodes well for adopting the SRAu match squads.

Good graphics so far, chiefs including number of caps is nice, but I think I prefer the Drua's specific position breakdown. Ideal would be both.

I also like the Drua approach of naming the players by position. Though "Back 3" annoys me. Just use "Back Three" or "Outside Backs". Would be nice if that sort of structure was mandated in the future. Or at least to the level Moana and the Crusaders used. Caps are nice too. Chuck that into the mandate as well.

Maybe also reduce the gap to half an hour between announcements.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I quite liked having the announcements all on the same day. Much better than random drops all over the place. Hopefully bodes well for adopting the SRAu match squads.

I also like the Drua approach of naming the players by position. Though "Back 3" annoys me. Just use "Back Three" or "Outside Backs". Would be nice if that sort of structure was mandated in the future. Or at least to the level Moana and the Crusaders used. Caps are nice too. Chuck that into the mandate as well.

Maybe also reduce the gap to half an hour between announcements.
Yeah, I get the reasoning behind on the hour, but maybe one team every half hour is the ideal?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Oli Jager has just this week asked for an early release to "pursue an opportunity elsewhere", presumably he's given up on being an AB & is heading back North.

Reportedly heading to Munster once the paperwork is completed. Will be interesting to see who they sign/ promote from their Academy to replace him.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Update on the establishment of an independent commission to run SRP (Super Rugby Pacific):

“We've got a signed off JV [joint venture] agreement. We've appointed an establishment chair, and we now start the process of recruiting for a CEO of a Super Rugby Pacific entity, and independent directors to come and join.

“So, we are up and running. It takes a little while to establish these vehicles, but through the first half of 2024 we will be fully established and we’re very excited about bringing that to life.”

- Chris Lendrum, NZR professional game GM.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Out of curiosity and boredom on a lunch break, I put together a list of what, as far as I'm aware, is the list of "foreigners" playing for Aus Super teams. Other teams feel free to correct me.

PlayerPositionSuper SideOriginal International AllegianceInternational StatusCan become Eligible For WallabiesApproximate date of eligibility
Charlie GambleBackrowWaratahsNew ZealandUncappedYes
Apr-23​
Alex HodgmanPropRedsNew ZealandCappedYes
Nov-23​
Jahrome BrownBackrowBrumbiesNew ZealandUncappedYes
Mar-24​
Cabous EloffPropRebelsSouth AfricaUncappedYes
Jan-25​
Angelo SmithLock/BackrowRebelsFijiUncappedYes
Apr-27​
Sefo KautaiPropBrumbiesNew ZealandUncappedYes
May-26​
Vuate KarawalevuWingWaratahsFijiUncappedYes
Nov-26​
Tamati TuaCenterBrumbiesNew ZealandUncappedYes
Nov-27​
Sam SpinkCenterForceEnglandUncappedYes
Nov-27​
Chase TiatiaFullbackForceNew ZealandUncappedYes
Nov-27​
Vaiolini EkuasiBackrowRebelsNew ZealandUncappedYes
Jan-28​
Cormac DalyLockRedsIrelandUncappedYes
Jan-28​
Hayden Thompson-StringerPropWaratahsEnglandUncappedYes
Nov-28​
Felix KalapuLock/BackrowForceNew ZealandUncappedYes
Nov-28​
Ryan LouwrensScrum HalfRebelsSouth AfricaUncappedYes10+ years Residency
Campbell ParataFly HalfForceNew ZealandUncappedYes10+ years Residency
Jack MaunderScrum HalfRebelsEnglandCappedNoN/A
Matt ProctorCenterRebelsNew ZealandCappedNoN/A
Peni RaviPropRedsFijiCappedNoN/A
Jeffery Toomaga-AllenPropRedsNew ZealandCappedNoN/A
Santiago MedranoPropForceArgentinaCappedNoN/A
Atu MoliPropForceNew ZealandCappedNoN/A
Nikolai FoliakiCenterForceTongaCappedNoN/A

Interesting stats:

More than half (12/23) are Kiwis. Handful of ex-ABs as Marquee signings, others chasing opportunity they're not getting for the Kiwi teams.

5 players are currently eligible for the Wallabies (or will be by the inbound tours) and a further 4 will become so by the home World Cup if their contracts continue. Not all of them are in serious contention, but interesting to note.

More than 1/3rd of the players on this list are props! If props aren't ready to play by the time U20s is finished Aus seems to have a problem getting them to the next level.

Last edited: