• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby General Chat

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Not saying it will work because I don't think it will but isn't it more about creating depth? ALSO I think a few key All Blacks would dramatically improve the Reds...
Fuck me...I've been saying this for a few years now.
Yes - NZ players should be able to play in ANY Super Rugby franchise without losing AB eligibility.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why? We don't have the cash Japan has to lure a Beauden Barrett or Ardie Savea to the tahs for example. What actually will happen is the bottom end of the rosters (spots 25-35) will be filled by kiwis further reducing the number of spots available to eligible Australian players. Current system whereby RA is consulted around not eligible players is pretty good to fill a short term need. Reds with the front rowers. Brumbies with Brown and Tua etc.

The only reason it works in the NRL (and other professional leagues) because test footy isn't the pinnacle for that sport.

I'd rather a position whereby each state could hold on to a couple of players (which comes down to cash) who might not actually be in the the frame for Wallabies selection (due to depth in position or age etc) but are important to Super team. Think players like Liam Gill

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Having only 11 teams in the comp is a bit problematic IMO (probably soon to be 10 I don't think MP (Moana Pasifika) will be around for much longer)

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
They have the backing of World Rugby. Personally I think is a good news. If you left out the South Africans due to travel distances, cost and time zones you can't add a team from 12,000 km away. Super Rugby has to be a sustainable competition before that

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Every team gets a bye currently, 11 teams negates the need to schedule them, and also possibly the stupid mandatory rest protocol for test players.

Edit: I just realized my own error in that it would only solve those problems if they actually played each other twice. Which has led me to think, why not play the first 5 rounds of the comp after the club season ends, it’s a level playing field as all franchises would be without test players. Then take Dec/Jan off and reconvene in February for the final 15 rounds. Just thinking out loud, everyone is saying the players don’t get enough games.

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
38 players just announced in the squad. You would need to employ a bunch of new Super Rugby level pro players to backfill those on national duty

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
They'll be about to embark on the EOYT, the squad will be smaller and you'd think places filled with a number of offshore players, as well as retiring ones. Your point is valid, but even in the case of the Reds who have 13/36 players picked, they would have academy players they want to bring into the fold, plus new recruits as well. Perhaps they loosen the 'loan' criteria for that period for tight 5 players to alleviate safety concerns, after all its about giving the players more games/experience. Where there's a will there's a way.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
If we're going to change the season, I still think the Rugby Championship should just move to Feb-March and reflect the 6 Nations...

Super Rugby then has a clear run between March and September, with just a 3 week window for the inbound test matches, which could be juggled with byes and mid-week matches. It also solves the issue South Africa & Argentina have with their players not having any windows for breaks.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I like this idea as well. I assume you are suggesting to make it 20 rounds plus finals? Getting the Saffers on board could be harder but as you say it solves one of their main issues.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Clan have a new head coach: Jamie Joseph. Clarke Dermody staying on as Assistant & Dave Dillon as Defence but Tom Donnelly (Forwards) gone & they're looking for an Attack coach to replace Kenny Lynn who's now part of the Los Pumas setup.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Will see how he goes without Tony Brown. His current Super Rugby HC record without Brown is 23-38 (38%) vs. 30-17 (64%) with him. This is the reason why I've never rated too highly as a HC.

Just like Hansen with and without Wayne Smith (and the GOAT pro rugby team).

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Interesting point zer0, Dave Rennie is another who had great results with Wayne Smith as assistant and not so good without.
But in all honesty , from listening to players Joseph is pretty handy HC, especially for rounding out hard edges in forwards.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Seems Matt Proctor has signed to play for Wellington Lions in NPC again, and there is rumours around he will be back with the Canes next year. Guess he will replace someone like Moorby, and we may see Proctor boys in midfield together in a few games nest year?

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Australian rugby doesn't lift in Super Rugby with the addition of players from Rebels then it has to be the quality of the coaches we have.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Super Rugby isn't a top competition. Noy anymore
d06xLI2.webp