• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SR2023 - NZ Derbies & v Drua/ Moana

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Worst. Defensive. Lineout. EVER. Yet somehow they still (a) won it & (b) drew a penalty. Maybe they confused Tribe more than they did themselves?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Have to say Josh Lord is looking good isn't he? I was surprised standing next to Lurch he is taller.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Starting to wonder if the secret ingredient in the Chiefs unbeaten run isnt the #6 Finau. Curious if he's on the AB radar. Seems to do everything the deadshit shitheel Dick Frizzle does just 30% sharper and faster.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ Played U20's pre-Covid & been tearing it up for both Mooloos & Tribe ever since so you'd think he's at least of the depth chart.

Wiki has him at 193cm & 109kg so he's a big lad & seems to have some wheels as well.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Robertson and Ryan will certainly have plenty of options for big physical blindsides.

Blues: Cameron Suafoa (24 y/o, 6'5 + 116kg), Taine Plumtree (23 y/o, 6'5 + 108kg), Anton Segner (21 y/o, 6'4 + 108kg)
Chiefs: Samipeni Finau (23 y/o, 6'4 + 109kg)
Hurricanes: Brayden Iose (24 y/o, 6'2 + 103kg)
Crusaders: Cullen Grace (23 y/o, 6'3 + 107kg), Dominic Gardiner (21 y/o, 6'3 + 108kg)

Surprised Plumtree remained at the Blues this season tbh. Given his limited opportunities over the last two years, suspect he might move to the Highlanders, which would even things out a bit.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Robertson and Ryan will certainly have plenty of options for big physical blindsides.

Blues: Cameron Suafoa (24 y/o, 6'5 + 116kg), Taine Plumtree (23 y/o, 6'5 + 108kg), Anton Segner (21 y/o, 6'4 + 108kg)
Chiefs: Samipeni Finau (23 y/o, 6'4 + 109kg)
Hurricanes: Brayden Iose (24 y/o, 6'2 + 103kg)
Crusaders: Cullen Grace (23 y/o, 6'3 + 107kg), Dominic Gardiner (21 y/o, 6'3 + 108kg)

Surprised Plumtree remained at the Blues this season tbh. Given his limited opportunities over the last two years, suspect he might move to the Highlanders, which would even things out a bit.
By geez that Finau has the makings doesn't he? Big seems to have hard shoulders when he hit people and tall enough to fill in at lock even! Have liked him for a couple of years. Didn't realise that Segner was so big, another I have been keen on since I saw him for NZ schoolboys.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Drua: Ilaisa Droasese, Selestino Ravutaumada, Iosefo Masi, Kalaveti Ravouvou, Eroni Sau, Teti Tela, Frank Lomani, Elia Canakaivata, Kitione Salawa, Vilive Miramira, Te Ahiwaru Cirikidaveta, Isoa Nasilasila, Samuela Tawake, Tevita Okanivere (capt), Haereiti Hetet. Reserves: Mesulame Dolokoto, Emosi Tuqiri, Jone Tiko, Chris Minimbi, Joseva Tamani, Peni Matawalu, Kemu Valetini, Apisalome Vota.

Blues: 1-Ofa Tuungafasi, 2-Soane Vikena, 3-Marcel Renata, 4-Cameron Suafoa, 5-Sam Darry, 6-Adrian Choat, 7-Dalton Papali'i (c), 8-Hoskins Sotutu, 9-Finlay Christie, 10-Beauden Barrett, 11-Caleb Clarke, 12-Harry Plummer, 13-Rieko Ioane, 14-Mark Telea, 15-Zarn Sullivan. Reserves: 16-Ricky Riccitelli, 17-Jordan Lay, 18-James Lay, 19-James Tucker, 20-Akira Ioane, 21-Sam Nock, 22-Bryce Heem, 23-AJ Lam

Tuipolutu's knee injury has flared up again hence his absence & Rangi has said he expects Nepo & Perofeta to both be out for "up to a month".

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Chiefs: 1-Aidan Ross, 2-Samisoni Taukei'aho, 3-George Dyer, 4-Brodie Retallick, 5-Tupou Vaa'i, 6-Samipeni Finau, 7-Sam Cane, 8-Luke Jacobson, 9-Brad Weber, 10-Damian McKenzie, 11-Etene Nanai-Seturo, 12-Rameka Poihipi, 13-Daniel Rona, 14-Emoni Narawa, 15-Shaun Stevenson. Reserves: 16-Tyrone Thompson, 17-Ollie Norris, 18-John Ryan, 19-Naitoa Ah Kuoi, 20-Pita Gus Sowakula, 21-Cortez Ratima, 22-Bryn Gatland, 23-Lalomilo Lalomilo.

Crusaders: 1-Joe Moody, 2-Codie Taylor, 3-Tamaiti Williams, 4-Scott Barrett, 5-Sam Whitelock, 6-Dom Gardiner, 7-Tom Christie, 8-Cullen Grace, 9-Mitch Drummond, 10-Richie Mo'unga, 11-Leicester Fainga'anuku, 12-David Havili, 13-Braydon Ennor, 14-Dallas McLeod, 15-Fergus Burke. Reserves: 16-Brodie McAlister, 17-Finlay Brewis, 18-Oliver Jager, 19-Quinten Strange, 20-Christian Lo-Willie, 21-Willi Heinz, 22-Jack Goodhue, 23-Macca Springer.

350th first-class match for Sam Whitelock, sixth NZ player to that mark the others being (in order of total matches played) Liam Messam, Wyatt Crockett, Keven Mealamu, Sir Colin Meads and Aaron Smith. First appearance for Oli Jäger since NPC last year.

Last edited:

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Can't make up my mind about Chiefs/Crusaders, was thinking Chiefs, but by geez that Crusader's backline is fairly tasty.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ Dallas McLeod on the wing is interesting, I wonder if he's got the wheels to shut down EN-S & Stevenson. Or maybe Razor doesn't think Springer has the size to do so?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
^ Dallas McLeod on the wing is interesting, I wonder if he's got the wheels to shut down EN-S & Stevenson. Or maybe Razor doesn't think Springer has the size to do so?
I would imagine that defence the reason. Dallas has played on wing for Canterbury a few years back.

Have to say this weekend is hard work in getting hard for a man to work in rugby WOB. Canes tomorrow night, and I been invited out to presentation of jerseys for local 1st XV at a marae, local club up in New Plymouth on Saturday, so will go to Patea to watch a 2nd/3rd div game against Kaponga at 1pm, then will have to shoot home watch the Blues/Drua on delay, catch the MP (Moana Pasifika) or part of it before the Chiefs/Crusaders game

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Sullivan just casually punting it ~70m downfield. Hope we get to seem him punting at altitude for the AB's one day. "Penalty on our own 5m line? Yeah gimme that bitch and lemme aim for the corner."

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I really do like the change of forcing the halfbacks back at the scrum. So much more opportunities for creative plays when you don't have serial pests like Perenara and White being able to just flail around and kill any opportunity to do anything more than #8 carry or halfback desperately yeeting the ball to the backs.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
FFS would it have killed them to cut the ankle-high grass?

Sullivan just casually punting it ~70m downfield. Hope we get to seem him punting at altitude for the AB's one day. "Penalty on our own 5m line? Yeah gimme that bitch and lemme aim for the corner."
Curious what sort of tailwind he has. The one at the 20 min mark was close to 80 metres on the fly.

giphy.gif

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Surprisingly deft kicking play from Clarke the tank. Reminiscent of those times Nonu would randomly pull out similar kicks. Give him a go at 12 next season...