• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
It's a great luxury to have when you have such depth and have been winning constantly.

After only two wins this year people would be calling for Cheika's head if he decided to rest Hooper, Genia, Coleman and Kerevi for example.

It'd be different people calling for his head. There's no selection combination that doesn't result in spectator outrage.

Reactions: TSR

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Coleman and Arnold are really dissimilar in the way they play. Coleman is more aggressive and will challenge the line with ball in hand. Arnold is perhaps more skillful as a distributor and is more creative in attack. Both are good to excellent defenders, and both offer very good lineout skills. I just think they are not directly competing with each other for a position, but are each in competition with others. In time, Arnold/Coleman just might be the best locking combination we have.

It may be the best now.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm one who reckons we need to better manage the workload of our players. I don't think we can expect our Wallabies to play as much as we expect them to, year in year out, without some games off.

That will come from resting/dropping players, or it will come from injury, it's really the coaches choice.

In particular, Hooper and Foley have played an immense amount of Rugby this year already and we need to address their workload.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^ I agree. Hooper has played almost (maybe all) the whole of the Super Rugby season and again pretty much all of the test season. He probably should have been rested when Pocock was available to play 7, but now who would replace him?

Foley, on the other hand, played the off season in Japan and followed up with a rather lackluster Super Rugby season and has been unimpressive in the latest tests. There are options to give him a rest now and imo should happen.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bench confirmed. Lopetis been dropped. Devastated. Would've liked to have seen more of him. Oh well, we don't lose anything with Fardy and Douglas there. Except a back up eight...

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Bench confirmed. Lopetis been dropped. Devastated. Would've liked to have seen more of him. Oh well, we don't lose anything with Fardy and Douglas there. Except a back up eight.
We don't think lopeti is an 8, when he gets a start its most likely to be in the 6 jersey. He'll get his opportunity soon enough. Mumm and hooper can cover 8.

Good for sefa though

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
McMahon is now in the side as the No 8 - hardly available to allow Hooper a rest. And Gill is already overseas.

Of course he's available. Selecting McMahon at 7 means selecting someone else to play 8. Selectors have that as their super power. :)

Gill is overseas, but still eligible for the remainder of the current season. Of course Toulon would be reluctant to release him. But he's not needed. We could select McMahon at 7 and McCalman / Houston / Timani at 8 in a pinch, and would if Hooper got injured. Mumm and Fardy have also packed at 8 in tests. We have more backrow cover than hookers have arse hair. McMahon is a very good #3 openside. Resting Hooper is easy. The reason he's not is that he's our best player.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Most of the back rowers you've mentioned and others from the Super Rugby franchises have either been tried and found wanting or really aren't in the running for a Wallaby spot in any normal circumstances. I accept the proposition that something would need to be done if Hooper is injured, but that is a whole different proposition to deciding now to give Hooper a rest. I reiterate that I think that particular boat has already sailed.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Most of the back rowers you've mentioned and others from the Super Rugby franchises have either been tried and found wanting or really aren't in the running for a Wallaby spot in any normal circumstances. I accept the proposition that something would need to be done if Hooper is injured, but that is a whole different proposition to deciding now to give Hooper a rest. I reiterate that I think that particular boat has already sailed.

Seriously? None of them are good enough even to play as a rotation sub? A majority of this forum says the Pooper is done with. Who would you start at 8, if not one of those?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Phipps deserves more respect than he gets.

He lost me when he threw two rubbish passes for two English tries in two games that were lost by a one try margin.
You can't be deficient in your key skills.
A halfback with a dodgy pass is as bad a busted prop who can't scrum, a fullback who can't kick, a midget loosie who can't jump, or a winger who lacks pace
Oh..wait..

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
He lost me when he threw two rubbish passes for two English tries in two games that were lost by a one try margin.
You can't be deficient in your key skills.
A halfback with a dodgy pass is as bad a busted prop who can't scrum, a fullback who can't kick, a midget loosie who can't jump, or a winger who lacks pace
Oh..wait..
A fly half who can't tackle. A kicker who can't find touch. A crooked line out thrower. Oh wait..

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Seriously? None of them are good enough even to play as a rotation sub? A majority of this forum says the Pooper is done with. Who would you start at 8, if not one of those?

McMahon. He's now the starting No 8 and if he continues to show he can handle the spot, it's his for the rest of the year probably. I would like to see Timani get some time off the bench, but imo none of those mentioned nor those in the wings would be options to start and possibly play the whole game at No 8 just to give MH a game off to rest.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Bench confirmed. Lopetis been dropped. Devastated. Would've liked to have seen more of him. Oh well, we don't lose anything with Fardy and Douglas there. Except a back up eight.

True but we know what both Fardy and Douglas bring - nothing new there

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see how McMahon is instructed to play 8.

Will he really be playing in the 7 role (as did Poey) so that Hooper can still play wider as normally an 8 does, thereby continuing with the Pooper combination?

Or, will Hooper actually play a more traditional 7 role ?

Boks will try and muscle up front

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McMahon. He's now the starting No 8 and if he continues to show he can handle the spot, it's his for the rest of the year probably. I would like to see Timani get some time off the bench, but imo none of those mentioned nor those in the wings would be options to start and possibly play the whole game at No 8 just to give MH a game off to rest.

meh, Timani isn't a test 8

Status
Not open for further replies.