• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Rumoured team:

Wallabies: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Joe Tomane, Quade Cooper, Nic White, Ben Mowen , Michael Hooper, Scott Fardy, James Horwill (c), Rob Simmons, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, James Slipper. Reserves: Saia Fainga'a, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Sitaleki Timani, Ben McCalman, Will Genia, Matt To'omua, Chris Feauai-Sautia.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/wallabies-coach-ewen-mckenzie-makes-four-changes-for-springbok-clash-20130925-2ud5q.html#ixzz2fuSLXY00

Fox are reporting this as official.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Actually Jannie Du Plessis is pretty shit as well.
Ha, he's been the THP in a scrum that has dominated Argentina, Australia and had the upper hand against NZ for the periods where it was 8 forwards vs 8 forwards.

So I wouldn't exactly say he's shit. He does miss the odd tackle around the park at times and you don't often see him having a big impact with ball in hand, but in the primary functions of a prop, he is more than capable.

Or perhaps you subscribe to the school of thought (like many in Aus rugby in recent times) that a prop's workrate around the field is more important than his set piece ability.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
One thing you can say about White is that he bought some of his brumby boys to show their potential and become members of the wakllaby squad.

however those men will be nervous about who will be the new coach.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I thought the area of biggest disparity last time we played the Saffas was at the breakdown where we just didn't (couldn't) match the SA locks and back row. Yet we go into this test with the same personnel here while changing the backline around. Not what I expected. Would have preferred Fardy to lock in place of Simmons, Mowen to 6 and Dennis at 8. Not a real fan of Dennis but think he played better in SS this year and would be the best option currently available.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I thought the area of biggest disparity last time we played the Saffas was at the breakdown where we just didn't (couldn't) match the SA locks and back row. Yet we go into this test with the same personnel here while changing the backline around. Not what I expected. Would have preferred Fardy to lock in place of Simmons, Mowen to 6 and Dennis at 8. Not a real fan of Dennis but think he played better in SS this year and would be the best option currently available.

Horwill has come in to replace Douglas who played in Brisbane. Perhaps he will assist with providing extra 'grunt'?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A couple of the deckchairs that are constantly being pointed out as faulty or broken somehow get ignored and the deckchairs that are in slightly better working order get moved or thrown out instead.

I think this test has to be the last chance as a starter for Rob Simmons and our THPs for a while. If Alexander and Kepu struggle again, Link has to give Slipper a crack at THP to see if Robbo, Moore, Slipper is a better starting front row.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Ha, he's been the THP in a scrum that has dominated Argentina, Australia and had the upper hand against NZ for the periods where it was 8 forwards vs 8 forwards.

So I wouldn't exactly say he's shit. He does miss the odd tackle around the park at times and you don't often see him having a big impact with ball in hand, but in the primary functions of a prop, he is more than capable.

Or perhaps you subscribe to the school of thought (like many in Aus rugby in recent times) that a prop's workrate around the field is more important than his set piece ability.

Nah he's clearly shit and that's why he has been repeatedly and regularly selected :eek:

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I think it was the Poms who introduced the concept of halfback, flyhalf, Inside left Centre, Outside right centre, two wings and a full back.

Hell there was even a day when we played Left Flanker (Left Wing Forward) and Right Flanker (Right Wing Forward), none of this openside/blindside nonsense. Our Lock was at the back of the scrum, and the kiwis called our second rowers, Locks, and rather inventively called the 8th member of the forward pack "No 8" not "Lock".

fixed. I still call those wearing jumpers 4 and 5 second-rowers. It was a bit of a shock to me in 1991 when a Kiwi referred to them as "locks", I'm with you, he was the bloke wearing the 8 jumper.

Heard an Irishman call a rugby player an "outhalf" recently, was it a scrummie taking a dump? :eek:

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Does my head in the prop selections.

A monkey with a seeing disorder could even see that Robinson-Moore-Slipper is he best front row.

Alexander and Kepu are not test standard (although no one else better).

Has anyone thought of giving Greg Holmes or Paddy Ryan a call? Surley worth a shot ahead of those two.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alexander and Kepu are not test standard (although no one else better).

Has anyone thought of giving Greg Holmes or Paddy Ryan a call? Surley worth a shot ahead of those two.

I disagree with this at least from Kepu vs Ryan's perspective. Kepu was consistently the stronger scrummager for the Tahs in 2013. Ryan is much better around the park though.

Hopefully we see an improvement in our scrum from not having Simmons pack at TH lock (assuming that happens).

Theoretically, our strongest scrum will be late in the game when we have Robbo, Kepu and Timani on the park.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Link has form with weird selections. I agree with most on the tight 5 selections being off.

But to his credit, when they don't work out, historically he learns from his mistakes.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tiger

agree with you re greg Holmes. Think he likes playing THP although Link used him at the Reds as LHP. Think that was only because Slipper was more valuable to the Reds at THP.

Jeez he couldn't be poorer than current crop of THP's at wallaby level so maybe he will become an option, moving forward.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Bet Homebrand is barracking for Australia to win (without him), well I would hope, but in vain I reckon.

Just hope we win, although a monumental task and our wingers perform very very well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tiger

agree with you re greg Holmes. Think he likes playing THP although Link used him at the Reds as LHP. Think that was only because Slipper was more valuable to the Reds at THP.

Jeez he couldn't be poorer than current crop of THP's at wallaby level so maybe he will become an option, moving forward.

Surely the opposite is more likely to be true.

Scrummaging doesn't get easier at test level than it is at Super Rugby level and both Alexander and Kepu are superior scrummagers to Holmes in that arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.