• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
White
To'omua
Tomane
Lealiifano
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

Looks the best option at the moment, Cooper hasn't looked up to it so far, he has just lacked that spark that scared teams

Putting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing give Folau good support and sticks Kuridrani outside players he knows in defence and attack.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Well I went with To'omua because we know that this game is going to be very physical. How about we start with Cooper, then throw two total rookies onto the wing and let them try and cope with the pressure of a wall of green running at them/endless high balls in front of 65000 drunk angry Afrikaaners?

Does anyone actually think that would be a good idea? Seriously, does anyone think this game would suit Cooper more than To'omua? Does anyone really think it would be less risky/put the new player under less pressure to start Betham or CFS on the wing, where Steyn will be aiming high ball after high ball for 80 minutes while the Bok backrow come steaming on through with the scent of blood in the air?

It would be fucking retarded, and i'd put my house on it that whichever poor bastard ends up on the wing will fold like a cheap deckchair under the pressure, unless they are KNOWN to be good under the high ball, and big enough to handle the physicality.

Hence going with Kuridrani to 13 where he can slot straight into a known combination with Lealiifano. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has played a lot of wing and is a hell of a lot safer there than throwing a rookie to the wolves. Tomane is 105kg and we know that he's excellent under the high ball.
I'd go with To'omua at 10, because we KNOW that the game is going to be incredibly physical and any mistakes we make in our half will turn into 3 points. I want someone who is aggressive in defence and can play the percentages and help Nic White pin the boks in their half.

If Cooper WAS that player, i'd love to select him, because his attacking creativity would be very welcome. He isn't, and that's why To'omua would get the nod for this game. It would also help our continuity and cohesion having some exisiting combinations out there.

For the Argies next week, it's a totally different game and THAT is when I would debut Betham or CFS. Tossing them into the deep end at Newlands would just be plain dumb.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
South Africa:

15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Willie le Roux, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Flip van der Merwe, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Juandré Kruger, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jan Serfontein

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Why do so many people think #10's can play test level at #15 when they have never played there before?

I don't think Scrubber actually suggested it, it was a tongue in cheek dig at the long list of To'omua's attributes, noting he could play in the World 15. RoffsChoice misinterpreted that to mean he should play at 15 in the next RWC :rolleyes:

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
See Gareth Anscombe for the Chiefs, Kurtley Beale for the Wallabies/Rebels/Waratahs, Stephen Larkham for the Wallabies/Brumbies.

They have to pick one in the end though. Can't be on the fence forever.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Battleship on the bench is some good news for us, but the form of his replacement, Adriaan bloody Strauss, is up there with the best of them.

This is going to be a very steep mountain to climb.

Saffers by 45 points.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Rumoured team:

Wallabies: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Joe Tomane, Quade Cooper, Nic White, Ben Mowen , Michael Hooper, Scott Fardy, James Horwill (c), Rob Simmons, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, James Slipper. Reserves: Saia Fainga'a, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, Sitaleki Timani, Ben McCalman, Will Genia, Matt To'omua, Chris Feauai-Sautia.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
The only shit player in that 23 is Steenkamp. Surely there's better props in SA? Kirchner has played well lately.

Actually Jannie Du Plessis is pretty shit as well.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't really like that team, but I'm not sure how much choice Link really had in the backs.

Gotta wonder just how terrible Alexander and Simmons have to be to stop getting selected. Presumably, though, Simmons will pack behind Slipper, which might see some more stability at scrum time.

Status
Not open for further replies.