• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

So where to from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mowen and Dennis struggle to break into the starting side on a consistent basis for their club, and now they should be considered for national selection? No Thanks
Yep, they should be forever discounted.
I think he was talking about "the future", a nebulous term, but a place where things that have been up until now, might change.
Palu might get fit, Timani might get better at ball retention, Cooper might re-find his mojo and desire to tackle, Tapuai might step up, Davies might have more than just speed, Higginbotham might find that tight, hard-nosed game we all want to see, Palmer might grow legs and uproot himself from the pot...
It is the "Where to now?" thread

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Yep, they should be forever discounted.
I think he was talking about "the future", a nebulous term, but a place where things that have been up until now, might change.
Palu might get fit, Timani might get better at ball retention, Cooper might re-find his mojo and desire to tackle, Tapuai might step up, Davies might have more than just speed, Higginbotham might find that tight, hard-nosed game we all want to see, Palmer might grow legs and uproot himself from the pot...
It is the "Where to now?" thread

Maybe we haven't been thinking outside the square enough. After all, New Zealand has almost no armed forces to speak of.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't understand the Dennis issue. Deans saw something in him to pluck him from club rugby then never carried on with his development. Dennis has gotten better since but seems to have been discarded.

Personally I rate the bloke.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
One area of the Wallabies game that needs new direction is forwards first. Not until an only then should we use wide running loose forwards. Often we look to put the cart before the horse in our quest to play the more expansive game.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Hey Louie, can you explain that one. It's something that I've wondered if it was the case but can't get my head around. You saying that the Australian rugby team is not the rep team of the country but a marketable 'brand' quite separate from rugby in Australia. If so, then I think someone needs a serious rethink. Welsh people 100% behind Wales and see the team as representing the country- not 'the dragons' or some other bullshit franchise name.

Australian Rugby is obsessed with competing against the NRL, AFL and the A-League. They talk about playing running entertaining rugby. Trying to not bore fans by kicking the ball to much. Public calls them the Wallabies. Not Australia.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Where to from here?
Cooper needs to develop a better head. fantastic player, but he is still immature on the field.
If barnes won't be 12 under deans, then JOC (James O'Connor) has to move there. demand the rebels to play him at 12 so he can grow into the role. he is the best back in the team and must touch the ball more.
If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't in the centres and nor his barnes, your centres are second rate. McCabe, look i dont think he's the best 12 you have, but he does have immense heart and work rate. That said, there are better options out there.
Taupuai needs to join into the frame, he is a much more dynamic centre than mccabe or the faaingas. did excellent in super rugby in the final and against sonny bill and fruen.
I think if quade goes to league, he will be a disaster and i think he knows that. If he doesn't stay with the reds, he's going to europe with sonny bill. i don't think that that is a massive loss for australia. massive for QLD though.
Bring in lucas. deveop an alternate to rocky at 6 - watch out for saffy as he continues to develop at the rebel. yes not as big as rocky, but stronger and excellent defender. rocky doesnt seem to be able to put in 100% back to back anymore.
Nick Phipps - i am unconvinced he is the best back up 9 to genia. I am unconvinced he is the best 9 at the rebels for that matter - richard kingi....get him involved - bobby dwyer loves him too. he is dynamic

I dont think a complete overhaul needs to happen but in key positions, better back ups need to be developed.

8 man - samo will be on his last legs. he was off form for most of the world cup. who plays 8 man next year in his absence? im not convinced there is a quality 8 in the wings.

T

The Chainsaw

I agree with most of the posts.
1. Stick with Deans but let him have a dreamteam of assistants.
2. Our forwards were flogged because they are either not coached or don't want to be coached. Jim Williams and the scrum coach are out of their depth.
3. When will we learn from our mistakes? The Scrum is still a worry and we have kept ignoring this. Send the best 18-25 year old props to Buenos Aires Premier Comp, england Div 2 and Toulouse to serve an apprenticeship. You will learn nothing here.
4. Stop ignoring experience: Find hard-nosed club players and improve them. All that is young is great.
5. End our obsession with meaty robust Polys in schoolboy and under-20 rep teams. Where are they now?
Get Nucifora out of the coach's box. Robbie's back must have some stab marks in them.
6. Let the players listen to Kearns, Cannon, Martin and Kafer. Wise.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
gees he's old!!

Kinghi would terrify defences with his running and kicking game if he came on at 65 minutes for will genia.

and he's not a box kicker to boot! (pun intended)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2. Our forwards were flogged because they are either not coached or don't want to be coached. Jim Williams and the scrum coach are out of their depth.
3. When will we learn from our mistakes? The Scrum is still a worry and we have kept ignoring this. Send the best 18-25 year old props to Buenos Aires Premier Comp, england Div 2 and Toulouse to serve an apprenticeship. You will learn nothing here.
4. Stop ignoring experience: Find hard-nosed club players and improve them. All that is young is great.
5. End our obsession with meaty robust Polys in schoolboy and under-20 rep teams. Where are they now?
Get Nucifora out of the coach's box. Robbie's back must have some stab marks in them.

Kafer maybe...

The rest? No.

T

The Chainsaw

As for players:
Say goodbye to:
Rocky
Kepu
Vickerman
QC (Quade Cooper)
2 Dads
Remember:
Higas
Beau Robinson
McCabe is a winger

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Who is a qualified australian scrum coach?
I say bring in Os Du Randt
Greg Sommerville is no longer working and kicking around Aus - the man can scrummage.
Stop getting bad aussie props to coach the aussie scrum.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)

Agree re the forwards coaching. You would think that at a minimum your forwards would aim for: win your own scrums, win your own lineouts, win 50% of rucks (although this is pretty subjective to the particular game). Still if that were a pass mark, I'd be interested to see if we achieved that against any team other than the minnows. Not against AB,s not against the Boks, not against Ireland and maybe not even against Italy?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Beau had his opportunity against samoa. didnt make the most of it and rightfully wasn't at the cup as a result. if he couldn't handle samoa, he wasn't going to handle ireland in pocock's absence.
he should be backing up next year though.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will still be in the squad next year.
ditto QC (Quade Cooper) and Kepu.
the rest - agree time to go.
not convinced on higgers against top quality opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.