• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

So, the Australian scrum. Am I worrying too much?

• Thread starter Bread and the crumbs
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bread and the crumbs

With Robinson out, I can't help but feel that England once again could be the end of us yet again. I was living in the UK and attended that horror that was the 2005 test at Twickers when our scrum was almost pushed out of the ground. Two years later the Poms did it to us again in the q/final of the 2007 World Cup which again I had to witness in person.

I don't think I could stand it again as I do believe we have the team to beat England, but without a scrum, it will most likely cost us 10 points in a game and there goes another q/final.

With Robinson out, do we have the blokes up front to give our amazing backs front foot ball or at least a stable platform from which to attack?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Keep in mind at the World Cup we should have all the missing ingredients of the great 2009 scrum back, bar Robinson of course. So that's Horwill, Palu, TPN/Moore and Alexander at tighthead (where he is a lot better). Sprinkle in Sekope Kepu, Slipper, Vickerman and Samo and I think we shouldn't be too bad. Not to mention the fact our less strong scrummagers bring excellent work-rates and general play skills.

Reactions: BDA

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Our scrum should be fine. Yes, Robinson is a big loss, but it's not the apocalypse just yet. A front row of Kepu-TPN/Moore-Slipper will be able to provide a solid platform for our back-line, especially when you factor in the scrummaging ability of Horwill and Vickerman. Besides, Australia's scrum has never been the team's biggest strength, and we were still able to beat the All Blacks and win back the Mandela plate in 2010- without Robinson. If our game structure revolved around our set-piece then maybe I'd be more concerned, but seeing as our game-plan centers on our wide-running, attacking backs I'm not panicking just yet.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
We didn't lose to England at the rwc 07 due to our scrum it was because we didn't turn up at the breakdown.

Exactly.

And Robinson isn't our scrum. We have excellent backup.

Ask yourselves this: how many current Wallabies would be picked in an England pack? The answer might surprise you. I'd venture to say Palu, Horwill, Sharpe, Pocock, Elsom and Moore. Kepu on current form would stand a chance. Now tell me we have no chance.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Exactly.

And Robinson isn't our scrum. We have excellent backup.

Ask yourselves this: how many current Wallabies would be picked in an England pack? The answer might surprise you. I'd venture to say Palu, Horwill, Sharpe, Pocock, Elsom and Moore. Kepu on current form would stand a chance. Now tell me we have no chance.

Hmm, that sounds like a good question to ask...

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Our forward pack is on par with England, we are slightly better at the breakdown and they are slightly better at the set piece. We just have a tendency to choke at the set piece in big games which seems to be what everyone is worrying about. I'm sure the coaches are well aware of this, and we will see how our scrum holds up in the tri-nations, i'd say they have been working on it a lot in recent weeks.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Kepu < Sheridan
TPN > Hartley
Slipper < Cole
Sharpe > Deacon
Horwill > Palmer
Elsom > Haskill
Pocock > Moody
Palu > Easter
Genia > Youngs
Cooper > Flood
Mitchell > Cueto
O'Connor > Hape
Ashley-Cooper > Tindall
Ioane > Ashton
Beale > Foden

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you're being pretty biased here, especially seeing us how England has beaten us the last two starts.

Palmer > Horwill and Lawes in the other first choice lock who is as good as Sharpe imo and Croft is the first-choice over Haskell who is equal to Elsom.

Whilst Cooper clearly has more skills than Flood, right now Flood is a better international fly-half than Cooper and how is O'Connor better than Hape (who is pretty bad) but O'Connor has never even played 12 before.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think you're being pretty biased here, especially seeing us how England has beaten us the last two starts.

Palmer > Horwill and Lawes in the other first choice lock who is as good as Sharpe imo and Croft is the first-choice over Haskell who is equal to Elsom.

Whilst Cooper clearly has more skills than Flood, right now Flood is a better international fly-half than Cooper and how is O'Connor better than Hape (who is pretty bad) but O'Connor has never even played 12 before.

England didn't beat us because of our cattle, they beat us by being more astute and wanting it more.

In any case, we should probably expect to lose half the time at Twickenham. 50% away and 90% at home is pretty good going against a World Cup winning nation. So we shouldn't be so arrogant as to be shocked when it happens. :)

Losing at home was another matter.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I like that they started the scrum school even before the rest of the WBs came to camp.

It could be my shithouse memory, but if this is a new feature then it shows a focus we've not seen before and is very welcome

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well we didn't just lose at Twickers, we were embarrassed. They still beat us in the last two games so you have to give some of their players credit.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
With Robinson out, I can't help but feel that England once again could be the end of us yet again. I was living in the UK and attended that horror that was the 2005 test at Twickers when our scrum was almost pushed out of the ground. Two years later the Poms did it to us again in the q/final of the 2007 World Cup which again I had to witness in person.
If I were you I would stop going to Wallaby games. The scrum might improve.
I dont think it is as dire as other nations think. The Wallaby scrum is strange in that in one game they can both be great and dire. When it goes well for them they are great, but it seems like their timing is off sometimes and they get owned. But they should have parity at least, which is what you want.

W

What2040

Robinson was poor last year on EOYT and relaced in last couple of tests - has had a great year in 2011 and a genuine shame he is gone. But both Kepu and Slipper have also played well this year both as THP which is considerably more difficult than at LHP. IMO Kepu will be the equal of Robo at LHP and does substantially more "work" around the field. Don't think it will be as dire as some pundits think. Is Daley definitely gone as well ?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The man love for Vickerman continues. Remind me who was THL when the entire Wallaby pack went on holiday in the 2007 RWC against England

G

gOst

[video=youtube;hIyQTGbSfEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIyQTGbSfEc[/video]

You're worried about this scrum?

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I might be wrong, but I thought that Vickerman came off the bench? I just remember him throwing their scrum half, who wouldn't let go of him off the ball. Then getting penalised for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.