• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
They did have Concord and West Harbour were no better. Daceyville is on UNSW land though right?

Clubs thrive who have the most to pay. If the Two Blues had more money they’d have the side to win it all. Plenty of Easts players don’t live in the Eastern Suburbs. I’m sure it’s the same in Brisbane.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
Know who's pushed it? All remaining unsigned Rebels to be running around for Uni next year?
someone could be telling me lies, but its a pretty good source, i heard uni and easts big advocates and pushed on no player points and instead a foreign player limit, which looks like it will be implemented by september 1st this year. i think you'd see the potential end of a couple of clubs over a 3 year period

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Positioning themselves for any potential National Club Competition? Clubs like Norths and Rats might not like a Foreign player limit. Norths colts aint going to support the upper grades.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
think you'd see the potential end of a couple of clubs over a 3 year period

That night have nothing to do with limits or caps or points or anything.

Has to be asked whether the competition structure is sustainable in the current format. Even Eastwood have only one team in the finals which to me seems unusual

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Eastwood always had a big ask this year. A lot of 1st Graders leaving meant you push everyone up to a standard they might not be competitive at yet and you also are less likely to recruit talent the year a bunch of guys leave. Players see whats coming. Even Tane Edmed has gone to the ITM Cup this season.

Strong Colts in 2023 and some good current ones like Goddard the Prop. Hold them and they'll be back up sooner rather than later.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Probably right about Holmes. Batger has obviously done a good job but even more so recruiting his old players over. Easts only 1 more win than Gordon and Randwick and Rats so 4 winners might be a bit much. Think Fehily has done a good job with some of the drama they dealt with in the pre season.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Who would benefit from scrapping the cap? Obviously not the clubs who are not in the top half of the comp, i.e. the clubs in the top currently plus Uni would benefit. The other obvious result is that the lower placed clubs become less able to compete with the wealthier clubs than they currently are & therefore slip further behind. What is the point of the latter clubs starting the season with absolutely no chance of winning the competition.
What decent player would go there, what decent coach similarly & who would want to spend money sponsoring them? Currently under the existing system, Southern Districts, Parramatta, & Newcastle, can't provide the required number of teams. Even Eastwood is struggling. The logical consequence is that some/all of these clubs fold. Is that logically what people want? Clearly that's a nail in the coffin for rugby in Australia as a serious sport. IMO, the cap should be changed to be more restrictive for the stronger clubs to breathe interest & life into what is currently a competition that is surely slowly dying already.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah I don't think anyone thinks it's a positive thing for Rugby as a whole. I can only think it's sides trying to position themselves to have stock in the cupboard for a national comp. It sucks.

Don't really know what can be done to help those other sides around it though. Unless you brought in a policy of the Waratahs being able to designate you to a club as soon as your'e involved with them at any level. Go to your junior/local or be designated by the Waratahs based on need of the Club and likelihood of more development through playing time.

Rugby Survivor

Ted Fahey (11)
If SRU want to kill the Shute Shield than dropping the points cap is a sure way of doing it. The competition has been very good the last few years with strength across nearly all the teams. We haven't had a repeat winner like we saw in the 2000's and 2010's.
The points cap needs to be refined. We need to ensure that NSW reps don't just go to the inner city clubs and players are assigned to some of the Western Sydney clubs. The restriction of stopping richer clubs pinching first grade players from the weaker clubs and giving them high points allocation is a good thing. The SRU can not let the restrictions lax.

Ref_Ted

Ward Prentice (10)
Is their not special dispensation for jnr or colts players though? I think if a player played their jnr/village rugby their they should be worth 0-1 points.
The following discounts are then applied:
1. Family: 5 points for new players to the club (in their first year only) for siblings of existing players that played the previous season with the club or sons of past players.
2. Local: One point per year discount (up to a maximum of four points) for players who have previously played with the club or previously played with a local junior club between U11-U17;
3. Long service: Discount for Category A, B, C or D, 100% discount for five years or more service with the club;
4. Experience: Discount for Category A, B or C players (up to a maximum of five points) of one point per year each year they have been out of international union or Super Rugby representation.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If SRU want to kill the Shute Shield than dropping the points cap is a sure way of doing it.

That'll certainly be the faster way to bring it down. Right now it is slowly eroding around the edges. That will accelerate unless the fundamental relationships between Unions in Sydney is sorted as a first step.

SRU maintaining the illusion of 4 Grades + 3 Colts is part of it.

grievous

Tom Lawton (22)
That'll certainly be the faster way to bring it down. Right now it is slowly eroding around the edges. That will accelerate unless the fundamental relationships between Unions in Sydney is sorted as a first step.

SRU maintaining the illusion of 4 Grades + 3 Colts is part of it.
What do you mean? Do away with this?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Keep the points system as I understand it, in order to project the illusion of compliance at the top end of town ( including slapping Easts on the wrist with a wet bus ticket for egregious gaming of the system).

Meanwhile, other clubs are practically in freefall. SRU Board don't appear to care, as long as the controlling cabal are in the drivers seat.