• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Official scores (apologies for my error on the Uni score)
Home Team v Away Team Location Time
Warringah 74 v Penrith 10 Pittwater Rugby Park
Eastern Suburbs 14 v Northern Suburbs 27 Woollahra Oval
Eastwood 16 v Southern Districts 18 T. G. Millner Field
Parramatta 21 v Sydney University 44 Merrylands RSL Rugby Park
West Harbour28vRandwick26Concord Oval
Gordon 11 v Manly 28 Chatswood Oval
space.gif

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Uni 44- Parra 21- happy to be proven wrong by my Centruy score. Where have i been- in the real world. Parra 1st grade made an 8 team semi series by losing just as many if not more than they won- just beat Wests who won even less games- played the last 6 weeks against lesser opposition and when they played a top 6 side they got smacked by 35. No doubt they will be better each year but so as everyone else. im tipping Parra not to be in top 6 but due to a stupid 8 team semi series , they will play in the finals.
My top 8 ( in order of finish ) would be
Uni- Manly- Souths- Eastwood- Norths- Wests( big suprise this year) Easts-Parra.

Randwick i feel is the same as 2012- just a lot more smokes and mirrors, Gordon will struggle to keep todays form going all year, Warringah and Penrith the same.

I will always lead with my chin and love being proved wrong. for the record i believe i picked 6 out of 6.

any colts scores- i know Norths whacked Easts.
Sooty clearly you have been out of it for a while as your grasp on the facts of 2012 are not correct. Uni were too good today, but Parra will only get better. I tip Parra will make the 6.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Game at Chatswood oval was a very tightly contested match.
Gordon held out 7 consecutive scrum resets on their tryline at the 40min mark and Manly led Gordon 7-6 at halftime.
Gordon came out firing and scored first in the 2nd half with a try to Terry Preston who was a standout today. Gordon led 11-7 before Manly came back with a setpiece try to winger Will Helu to make it 14-11. A try to Manly after what was a clear knock-on (with even the Manly supporters scratching their heads) made the score 21-11. With 5 minutes to go, Gordon winger Manners made a break and looked to run 90m and possibly bring the game back to 21-18 - unfortunately this was called back by the touch judge ("assistant referee") as there may have been a gordon player who didnt release the tackled player earlier. Manly were able to cross again on the final play with a pass going to ground and popping up very nicely. Final score at Chatswood Oval was Manly def Gordon 28-11. Manly forward pack were a huge unit who kept pressure on the Gordon set-piece all day, Pete Gilmore also looked difficult to contain in the backline. Gordon will be buoyed by their efforts, the courage shown by a smaller, less experienced pack was heartening (with Gukibau and Johnson to return from injury next week) as well performance from Tom Matthews and Terry Preston in the backline.

Gordon's scrum was destroyed for 10 minutes, the fact there was no penalty try sums up the ref or the whole match.
The ref didn't know what the gate was, numerous times Gordon players should have been binned for slowing the play at rucks.

Reactions: Tim

sooty

Stan Wickham (3)
Sooty clearly you have been out of it for a while as your grasp on the facts of 2012 are not correct. Uni were too good today, but Parra will only get better. I tip Parra will make the 6.
what part of the 2012 season did i miss? they finished 5th - played 8th and won on the bell- then played a top 6 side and got thumped. maybe my recollection of wins/loses was out but as i mentioned they played the easier sides on two occasions while a side like Easts had to play all the top side on 2 occasions. most of the top sides would have loved to have played Penrith , Wests, Warringah Gordon and even Parra on 2 occasions as well. The only top 6 side they beat was way back in May i think when they beat Norths( before Harvey joined the team) I hope parra do get better, but as i said , all sides will get better - Parra need to get a lot better - i am sure, from what you say , they will. Uni , love them or hate them, will be too strong for every oe this year( no i am not a Uni supporter) just a realist. once again happy to be proved wrong

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Uni 44- Parra 21- happy to be proven wrong by my Centruy score. Where have i been- in the real world.
I will always lead with my chin and love being proved wrong. for the record i believe i picked 6 out of 6.
It's all good sooty, just some banter between fans. For now. Apres la revolution (i.e when the mighty Two Blues resume our proper place as Premiers in the Shute Shield) we'll be around, banging on your door, reminding you of this indiscretion! :p

sooty

Stan Wickham (3)
happy for t
It's all good sooty, just some banter between fans. For now. Apres la revolution (i.e when the mighty Two Blues resume our proper place as Premiers in the Shute Shield) we'll be around, banging on your door, reminding you of this indiscretion! :p
Happy to have you bang on the door- and i will be tipping Parra to beat Randwick next week

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Randwick left a number of tries on the paddock against wests. Wests kept coming and finished off a wonderful move with their very fast outside backs right on the bell to go ahead by two.
For Wests ,their wingers look electric as did the number 4 who scored an opportunist try from a lineout 35 metres out with pace alone. This put Wests back in the race with 10 to go. They all came off the line in defence very quickly all day. Even so , Randwick outflanked them a number of times but were unable to finish.
Disagree with Sooty on the smoke and mirrors as the Wicks defense on the line was excellant and committed and they had more form in attack than last year. They need a win or two to get the confidence flowing.
For Wicks , i thought Hepetema was special.
Other grades all won by the Wicks against Wests in physical battles.
I chose this game to watch today & I didn't see it quite the same way as you.
Wests looked the more dangerous side with ball in hand , but made more mistakes than Randwick whose handling was outstanding & whose defense was also first class.
Wests were also caned in the penalties for most of the game , which stifled out most of their attack until the last 15 minutes , when the penalties became less of an issue.
During the last stages of the game Wests were by far the most dominant team , but very good defense close to the line kept out numerous Wests sorties.
Wests scored 4 tries to 2 in the end.
BTW , it was the Wests no.8 who scored the runaway try from the lineout.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Game at Chatswood oval was a very tightly contested match.
Gordon held out 7 consecutive scrum resets on their tryline at the 40min mark and Manly led Gordon 7-6 at halftime.
Gordon came out firing and scored first in the 2nd half with a try to Terry Preston who was a standout today. Gordon led 11-7 before Manly came back with a setpiece try to winger Will Helu to make it 14-11. A try to Manly after what was a clear knock-on (with even the Manly supporters scratching their heads) made the score 21-11. With 5 minutes to go, Gordon winger Manners made a break and looked to run 90m and possibly bring the game back to 21-18 - unfortunately this was called back by the touch judge ("assistant referee") as there may have been a gordon player who didnt release the tackled player earlier. Manly were able to cross again on the final play with a pass going to ground and popping up very nicely. Final score at Chatswood Oval was Manly def Gordon 28-11. Manly forward pack were a huge unit who kept pressure on the Gordon set-piece all day, Pete Gilmore also looked difficult to contain in the backline. Gordon will be buoyed by their efforts, the courage shown by a smaller, less experienced pack was heartening (with Gukibau and Johnson to return from injury next week) as well performance from Tom Matthews and Terry Preston in the backline.

Big effort by Gordon in all grades (no 4's) today . Perhaps drawing on a week from hell and I suspect Manly complacency made for a much tighter game than expected . Liked the Gordon 6- impressive player . The 7 consecutive scrums (suspect it was more should have resulted in a penalty try) - indeed both sides suffered from a very average piece of refereeing. Not sure re try descriptions Senior - didn't Helu's try take it to 21 - 11 as he speared onto a pass off his blind side wing under the posts (?) the allegedly suspect try was Manly's second and the final try to replacement Porecki coming of a simple tap penalty - no drop ball popping up nicely to be seen . Manly only clicked into gear in final 20 and now have some injury worries. Anyway Gordon will more than hold their own with a few more numbers and Manly can only get better.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
what part of the 2012 season did i miss? they finished 5th - played 8th and won on the bell- then played a top 6 side and got thumped. maybe my recollection of wins/loses was out but as i mentioned they played the easier sides on two occasions while a side like Easts had to play all the top side on 2 occasions. most of the top sides would have loved to have played Penrith , Wests, Warringah Gordon and even Parra on 2 occasions as well. The only top 6 side they beat was way back in May i think when they beat Norths( before Harvey joined the team) I hope parra do get better, but as i said , all sides will get better - Parra need to get a lot better - i am sure, from what you say , they will. Uni , love them or hate them, will be too strong for every oe this year( no i am not a Uni supporter) just a realist. once again happy to be proved wrong
Jeez, talk about touchy ol mate. I agree with almost everything except I think Manly might challenge Uni.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
We did try our deadset best to put out a 4th grade yesterday. Lucky I'm on an unlimitted phone plane, the number of Calls and Texts/emails I sent trying to organise the relocation on Friday arvo was probably outside the acceptable usage policy. Sorry to Manly and I wish you all the best for the season...

If any of those 80 or 90 4th graders you have down there are looking for a run - drop me a line - you'd me more than welcome :p :p :p (that's probably off-side - but I'll try anything).
Gibbo

Reactions: Tim

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
We did try our deadset best to put out a 4th grade yesterday. Lucky I'm on an unlimitted phone plane, the number of Calls and Texts/emails I sent trying to organise the relocation on Friday arvo was probably outside the acceptable usage policy. Sorry to Manly and I wish you all the best for the season.

If any of those 80 or 90 4th graders you have down there are looking for a run - drop me a line - you'd me more than welcome :p :p :p (that's probably off-side - but I'll try anything).
Gibbo
Plenty of fringing and off side yesterday, but you guys played hard and to the ref for the full 80 - well done.
UTS Drummoyne, and UTS Gordon should speak - both clubs with heaps of history - don't know just an idea

JFT

Frank Nicholson (4)
Massive? I don't think so. The Woodies forwards are a pretty solid bunch.

L Timani scoring one try and giving the last pass for the other would appear to have made a massive difference in the 18-16 scoreline!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
L Timani scoring one try and giving the last pass for the other would appear to have made a massive difference in the 18-16 scoreline!

A two point win is massive? Stick around for a while, you might learn something you need to know about the game of rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I took it to mean that Timani's contribution made a massive difference to the result. The point made,was he was instrumental in two tries in a two point game.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thommo is back, hitting hard as ever! His report on the Two Blues match against Sydney Uni is up on the Two Blues website http://twobluesrugby.com.au Some photos included. Other match photos available in the club's media gallery.
Poor form to reply to your own post but Uni have published their report of the match on their website http://sydneyunirugby.com.au Quite a nicely written report actually. Thommo will bristle.

Hopefully other clubs will provide links or reports over the next few days.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Poor form to reply to your own post but Uni have published their report of the match on their website http://sydneyunirugby.com.au Quite a nicely written report actually. Thommo will bristle.

Hopefully other clubs will provide links or reports over the next few days.

Have to agree ,was well written.

Did have a good belly laugh at the paragraph , in regards to Liam Winton sin binning.

Liam Winton was sin binned for 10 minutes after a difference with the Parramatta forward pack regarding post game seating arrangements at Merrylands RSL ( from uni match report)

No malice on my behalf. Just tickled m,y funny bone.

Once again , well written match report

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I chose this game to watch today & I didn't see it quite the same way as you.
Wests looked the more dangerous side with ball in hand , but made more mistakes than Randwick whose handling was outstanding & whose defense was also first class.
Wests were also caned in the penalties for most of the game , which stifled out most of their attack until the last 15 minutes , when the penalties became less of an issue.
During the last stages of the game Wests were by far the most dominant team , but very good defense close to the line kept out numerous Wests sorties.
Wests scored 4 tries to 2 in the end.
BTW , it was the Wests no.8 who scored the runaway try from the lineout.

With 20 minutes to go Randwick lead 26-11 (2 tries to 1) and looked on top. I'd suggest they then dropped off the intensity (inexperience?) and Wests speedy backline scored 3 tries to steal the game. On a lighter note, I'd love to see a foot race between front rowers organised this year. The sight of Randwicks 2 (ex Penrith) front rowers chasing a kick down the sideline and almost getting there was worth the price of admission. If Ethan Ford had given the ball earlier to Asa (he held on as he saw the support player was a front rower) it would have been fascinating to see whether the defence would have caught him.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have to agree with 'The Coach', i thought Wests were gone with twenty to go but then the opportunist try from the lineout by Number 8 ( i thought it was 4 but my eyesight is not the best and has never been the same as a refs) This gave Wests a sniff and they poured on the pressure to eventually win on the bell.
'In front of the kicker' was let go all day as was alot of skullduggery at the breakdowns.
I reckon the smaller prop, Asa, from wicks is faster than most wingers and much harder to stop at pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.