• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
If Eastwood can match Uni in the collision and preferably push them back they are in with a big chance. Manly did it for about 75 minutes and nearly pulled it off. I think they have the backs to worry Uni as well. They've got to take all the points on offer and keep the ball out of their own half as much as possible.
I agree and heres why Woodies will have a chance to win the collisions: Robinson, Pearce, Plotkys, Barry, Roach - strong tough tackling/hitting (refer last week v Manly for recent example) and massive work rate.
Perret, Macaffery, Clyne- strong running and smart.
The Woodies 8 have everything to play for and while outgunned on the resume are full of will and full of ticker.
The Woodies backline can also defend and can score tries. Go Woodies

griffith blacks

Frank Row (1)
This should be a cracker of game for the woodies to win they are going to need a full 80 mins and no lapses of concentration which they are prone to do in second half. Uni will punish any lapses through their counter attach. It will be close woodies can do it. Crowd should be good both clubs have good supporter base. Good luck to both clubs

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This game should really be at the SFS, maybe as a curtain-raiser for a Test match against one of the less popular nations. That would mean interfering with the current TRC arrangements, or changing the date of the SS grand final.

This is, or should be, the biggest single grassroots day in the nation (apologies to the Queenslanders - but I think the SS is a bit stronger of a competition).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
SRU have done a good job encouraging advanced ticket purchases for Saturday. $25 at the gate or $22.50 advanced purchase, plus of course the $3.95 processing fee and 1.95% credit card fee.

Think I'll just get mine at the gate thanks

The Blog front page is reporting that Juniors are "only" $2.50. Family pass of 2+2 is about $45.

Juniors should be Free. Fill the stadium. Juniors attract fee paying adults. Their nag value helps Parents to buy merch and food at the Canteen. Well worth "taking a hit" on free entry for Juniors.

For another thread, but why is a Family pass defined as 2 Adults and 2 kids under 16. I know plenty of families with 3 or more kids, or 2 adults with 2 young adult children (16 and 18 year olds). Why do these family groupings not qualify as "Family" tickets?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
1. Jeremy Tilse
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Tom Boidin
5. Liam Winton
6. Dave Dennis
7. David Hickey
8. Tim Davidson (c)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Greg Jeloudev
12. Tom Carter
13. Tom English
14. Lachie Mitchell
15. Tom Kingston

Reserves: Laurie Weeks, Will Skelton, Trent Dyer, Peter Betham, Stefano Hunt

1. Benn Robinson
2. Todd Pearce
3. Marty Plokstys
4. Jared Barry
5. Andrew Clyne
6. Hugh Perrett (c)
7. Hugh Roach
8. Locky McCaffrey
9. James Stannard
10. Jimmy Hilgendorf
11. Nick Batger
12. Michael McDougall
13. Cam Mitchell
14. Tom Hill
15. Ben Batger

Reserves: Some 2nd graders

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Greg Jeloudev
12. Tom Carter
13. Tom English
14. Lachie Mitchell
15. Tom Kingston

That's one awesome back-line! However, I think Eastwood match the Students in the piggies!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
A nice way to wrap up Shute Shield 2013 thread (after the GF debriefing and venting posts from this weekend) would be to publish the prizewinners from the various club awards nights.

Any starters?

Here's the Wicks award winners:

1st Grade Player of the Year: William Munro
2nd Grade Player of the Year: Pat Hodgetts
3rd Grade Player of the Year: Mark Bannon
4th Grade Player of the Year: Sam Bartlett
5th Grade Player of the Year: Dugald Laughlin
MVP: Mark Bannon

1st Grade Colts: Oli Nicholson and Jack Johnson
2nd Grade Colts: Rowan McGowan
3rd Grade Colts: Alex Petterson

Ranga "Red Head of the Year": James White

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Uni will win 1s by 3... It'll be a cracker.
2s will be Eastwood by 20. They're on fire.

In reference to should be at the SFS. It was years ago... Why not still? I think a Shute Shield 1st grade game should be played as a Waratahs S15 curtain raiser at every home game (shared around)

Just my thoughts

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Uni will win 1s by 3. It'll be a cracker.
2s will be Eastwood by 20. They're on fire.

In reference to should be at the SFS. It was years ago. Why not still? I think a Shute Shield 1st grade game should be played as a Waratahs S15 curtain raiser at every home game (shared around)

Just my thoughts

I believe there were a number of reasons for moving from the SFS:
(1) 2,000 people in a stadium with 45,000 capacity = zero atmosphere
(2) the cost of hire which I'd assume would be huge compared to Concord
(3) there was also a problem with the Trust only allowing 2 grades to be played on the day so the lower grades had to be played on another ground

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Woodies are a very composed and methodical side. Good up front, good in defense, and low error rate.

They should be worthy runners up. After all, how can we compete with all that errrrrrrr talent? Uni does such a great job of producing rugby players from nothing. :cool:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/davo-tc-a-rugby-union-pt-1-young-at-heart/
In the wamberal world which club should these three guys have joined? Kings Old Boys and run around in 2nd div subbies?

Which three players? I was responding to an earlier post (which I failed to quote) claiming that Eastwood would win. So I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. However, in my ideal world, every club would have a serious involvement in the development of juniors in their district. All clubs do (to varying extents), except one (other than a bit of window-dressing). The club that does not have the burden of junior development should have a natural advantage, even without all the other advantages that the Golden Boys have.

So I repeat the main point of my post, Eastwood will be worthy runners up.

As a final point, back when I played, most of Uni's four teams comprised undergraduates, with a sprinkling of older players. It was relatively common for Uni players to go elsewhere to play upon entering the real world, which most of us are forced to inhabit. That seemed to be a pretty good thing, to me at least. It meant that a player of the calibre of Rod Phelps went to play for Parramatta, for example. Hard to imagine any of the Golden Boys doing that, these days, is it?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
http://www.rugbynews.net.au/davo-tc-a-rugby-union-pt-1-young-at-heart/
In the wamberal world which club should these three guys have joined? Kings Old Boys and run around in 2nd div subbies?

Spieber thanks for your post. Tom Carter went to Turramurra High, Knox and Kings.

I would say he probably should have played for Gordon. He played for Wahroonga as well. Before you tell me he grew up in Young he obviously lived in the area to go to Turramurra High so that point is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.