• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
I don't believe they have nominees for rookie as it is selected by the Tahs. The Catchpole nominees are the Top 10 list from the points given by the referees.
For rookie, I would think the following are under consideration: Lolohea, Alofa Alofa, Killingworth, Porecki and Gibbon (if he has rookie status).
Nominees according to ABC are:
Horwitz (Randwick)
Poreki (Manly)
Roach (Eastwood)
Dowsett (Norths)
Vaitale ( Penrith)
Howell (Warringah)
Lautolo (Randwick)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have seen enough of the first three on the list to think they all have wonderful futures in the game.

I would probably put Poreki first, just on potential. Roach, of course, is playing out of position (a natural hooker, playing 7). Horwitz is a very mature footballer, who always seems to have a lot of time.

Not sure whether Jed Gillespie is in his first year, and he is now injured, but he is also a real talent (Eastwood LHP)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A nice way to wrap up Shute Shield 2013 thread (after the GF debriefing and venting posts from this weekend) would be to publish the prizewinners from the various club awards nights.

Any starters?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
You don't get ABC feed where you are do you wamberal?

You will not even be able to channel your support via the TV. Bummer.

I'm sure that fellow Gaggerlanders will rally around and provide regular updates on the match on this thread.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
It often strikes me how little time spent on this forum talking about actual rugby. Plenty of Uni bashing, even Gordon and Penrith cop a bit. Persistent conversations about the so called 3rd tier (even though there's another thread for it) Plenty of valid talk about who the good players are etc; but very little about the actual rugby that's being played.

Here we are 2 days out from a grand final and nobody has anything to say. Not just a grand final, but 4 grand finals between the same 2 clubs on the same day. Surely that hasn't happened before.

So how about it? What are the key match ups? What does Uni have to do to win, what does Eastwood have to do?

Sportsbet have Uni at $1.17 and Eastwood at $4.50. They're pretty outrageous odds, I think Eastwood are a much bigger chance of winning than that. I'm even tempted to put a couple of dollars on the Woodies at that price, at least I'll be hedging my bets!

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
SRU have done a good job encouraging advanced ticket purchases for Saturday. $25 at the gate or $22.50 advanced purchase, plus of course the $3.95 processing fee and 1.95% credit card fee.

Think I'll just get mine at the gate thanks

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
It often strikes me how little time spent on this forum talking about actual rugby. Plenty of Uni bashing, even Gordon and Penrith cop a bit. Persistent conversations about the so called 3rd tier (even though there's another thread for it) Plenty of valid talk about who the good players are etc; but very little about the actual rugby that's being played.

Here we are 2 days out from a grand final and nobody has anything to say. Not just a grand final, but 4 grand finals between the same 2 clubs on the same day. Surely that hasn't happened before.

So how about it? What are the key match ups? What does Uni have to do to win, what does Eastwood have to do?

Sportsbet have Uni at $1.17 and Eastwood at $4.50. They're pretty outrageous odds, I think Eastwood are a much bigger chance of winning than that. I'm even tempted to put a couple of dollars on the Woodies at that price, at least I'll be hedging my bets!

I guess it's a question of whether you'll be happiest if you win the game and lose some money or lose the game and win some money!

IMO it's hard to pick the winner as both teams won their semi's easily and I'm struggling to decide how much of that was due to the superiority of the winners v the losers not turning up on the day. So form is hard to assess. On paper Uni look far stronger, but on paper Eastwood shouldn't have been minor premiers. As a neutral observer I just hope the game goes down to the wire like the last time these two met in the GF in 2011.

I believe this is the first time the same two teams have met in all 4 grade GFs. Certainly since 1932 as the records before that are a bit suspect. Also the GFs will be contested between the teams that finished 1st and 2nd in 1st, 3rd and 4th grade and 2nd and 3rd in 2nd grade (Manly finished 1st).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
SRU have done a good job encouraging advanced ticket purchases for Saturday. $25 at the gate or $22.50 advanced purchase, plus of course the $3.95 processing fee and 1.95% credit card fee.

You don't mind paying a bob or two to watch quality footy, but Concord is not going to be a sell out. Reduce the prices or get some serious concessions to kiddies or something to get more punters in and fill the bloody stadium.

This is the showpiece of Sydney rugby.

What advertising and promotion has there been for this game?

Will anyone be surprised when there is little or no media coverage, or a relatively small crowd?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a "discount"!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You don't mind paying a bob or two to watch quality footy, but Concord is not going to be a sell out. Reduce the prices or get some serious concessions to kiddies or something to get more punters in and fill the bloody stadium.

This is the showpiece of Sydney rugby.

What advertising and promotion has there been for this game?

Will anyone be surprised when there is little or no media coverage, or a relatively small crowd?

The 2000 GF was played at Concord between Randwick and Uni and it was a virtual sellout. The entire western stand was reserved seating and much of the eastern stand as well with only part of the eastern stand, the concourses and the two ends as general admission.

Attendance at the SS and the GF has been in steady decline since then. Hopefully with the same 2 teams in all grades there'll be a reasonable crowd, but I still doubt there'll be more than a few thousand.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You don't get ABC feed where you are do you wamberal?

You will not even be able to channel your support via the TV. Bummer.

I'm sure that fellow Gaggerlanders will rally around and provide regular updates on the match on this thread.

Thanks, Hugh. We used to live much closer (at Wamberal, actually:rolleyes:) and went to quite a few Grand Finals. The 1999 one was, of course, a great one for us (Eastwood's first in first grade). It was also the year we got married. And another couple of memborable events, we won the Rugby and Cricket World Cups.

We now live in SE Queensland. We did fly down in 2011, but it was such a rotten day that we decided to stay in our hotel, and watch it on tv. When the game looked to have slipped away, I went to the hotel gym to work out my frustrations and disappointments. Fortunately the machine I was on had a video screen, I decided to put the rugby on, so I did see the remarkable finish to what was a great game (for the Woodies!)

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Here we are 2 days out from a grand final and nobody has anything to say. Not just a grand final said:
1st Grade= Uni to win
2nd Grade = Woodies to win
3rd Grade = Uni by 5
4th grade = Uni to win

Cyril Towers (30)
Some great matchups on show here:
Fat Cat v Paddy
Dennis and Davo v Perret and McAffrey
Hickey v Roach (mongrel 7 v mongrel 2/7)
Stannard v Fanga
Kingston/Jeloudev v Batgers
the world v Tommy Carter (and I'll back TC)

Should be a cracker of a game. Uni's preparation not helped by Foley and Dennis being with Wobs in Perth all week.
Lets forget the crap and talk about the footy. I think it's worth 5 hours on the New England Hwy.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Those odds for the Woodies are very enticing. Four bucks fifty in a two horse race? Yes please. I think they can win this, but it's a big ask against a Uni team with a lot of talent flooding back into it.

If Eastwood can match Uni in the collision and preferably push them back they are in with a big chance. Manly did it for about 75 minutes and nearly pulled it off. I think they have the backs to worry Uni as well. They've got to take all the points on offer and keep the ball out of their own half as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.