• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I hope Cheika has the brains and the imagination to work out that some of our semi-professionals might be far better than some of the full-time professional players, if they only had a similar opportunity.

Jared Barry, for one. Dave Porecki (the young Manly LHP) is another. Jed Gillespie is out for the season, he is another one.

Players who glide straight from school into full-time professional careers might not have the mongrel and determination of a player who has had to fight his way up against the odds (and without having had access to all the training resources and time that the full-timers have).

Porecki !!!! agree, very strong game, and he's also an awesome hooker.
I've read posts about Tah's looking for another hooker.
But for mine Tah's can't miss out on Maile, still early 20's.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Not to start another 3rd tier debate or anything, but I have to say it after that game yesterday. If Pulver still tries to bring in some naff comp like Super B, he's kidding himself. The 3rd tier was staring us all in the face yesterday. Massive crowd, top quality game of rugby - had to be the best advertisement for club rugby in a long time, in a time when most people in the media are looking to talk down about club footy because it's not the ITM cup.

Hope the big crowds and great rugby continues at Coogee next week.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not to start another 3rd tier debate or anything, but I have to say it after that game yesterday. If Pulver still tries to bring in some naff comp like Super B, he's kidding himself. The 3rd tier was staring us all in the face yesterday. Massive crowd, top quality game of rugby - had to be the best advertisement for club rugby in a long time, in a time when most people in the media are looking to talk down about club footy because it's not the ITM cup.

I've had guys in the office who don't follow rugby and saw the game at a pub, they reckon it was more enjoyable than the test the night before.

Start and Finish the Shute with the Soup, and then lets showcase our game.

Massive crowd - yes, and we have TG Milner, Concord, Rat Park, Coogee + more, - plenty of grounds were we could play the 3T and allow the grass roots to build and benefit.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
spewing I missed the game. How big was teh crowd at Manly oval yesterday? Do I see it correctly that Uni still have 7 teams contesting the finals?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
If you can't hear the ref', try Sports Ears.

Aiui most first grade referees are miked up (especially in the SS).

I am pretty sure that the Sport Ears do not work at most club grounds despite the refs being miked up. There needs to be a special transmitter at the ground for the "Ears" to work. Boyo, is your experience that they work at Uni No 1?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've had guys in the office who don't follow rugby and saw the game at a pub, they reckon it was more enjoyable than the test the night before.

Start and Finish the Shute with the Soup, and then lets showcase our game.

Massive crowd - yes, and we have TG Milner, Concord, Rat Park, Coogee + more, - plenty of grounds were we could play the 3T and allow the grass roots to build and benefit.

It was a great game. Stacked with Super Rugby players and several others that should be seriously looked at for higher honours which ensure it would be. Same could have been said of the Eastwood/Souths game. However, looking at that game I couldn't help but think how great it would be if we had an entire competition of that standard to as you say, showcase our game.

Moving the club comps in alignment with Super Rugby and having a rep season in the void left afterward would be a boon for our game.

And I've had a similar experience to your Dave. My grandfather isn't a Rugby fan, he watches the Tests but that's it. He was commenting to me last night as he rang to dissect the game that he caught the Manly/Uni game and asked why all Rugby couldn't be like that. He actually said he enjoyed more than watching his precious Bulldogs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There has been some great club rugby this season, even during the Soup season.

But the problem for the ARU is that there is more than one city that needs a third tier.

A full national competition (with all the viable first grade clubs involved) would be too big. A selective competition, with a few teams from each city, would be unfair and would discriminate against players who happen not to be in one of the chosen teams (thus ensuring that the strong would get stronger, and the weak would disappear).

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep, Manly were bloody good, but the bench options of Uni are just amazing
Yep Winton for Skelton....The Uni players arrive by bus and moved as a group into the ground. There was certainly a few million in Super 15 contracts on display

Jordy Reid best on ground - his time in the bin cost MMM's the game - why do we get QLD refs at this time of year? There is no way Harry Bergelin knocked on for that scrum and the winning field goal . Maile's hit to shorten up Carter and the rip the ball was a sight to behold. Re the latter he gave as good as he got from the hill but carrying it on in front of stand after the game was his usual over reach .

No sour grapes - Tim Davidson's speech back at the Mounties (well attended by Uni players but no Carter! ) was gracious in victory and articulate in terms of pointing out what is really the genuine 3rd tier in this country - he went so far a to say the game was one of the best SS contests he has played in.

Are you listening Mr Pulver!!

Manly won the boat race btw!

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I hope Cheika has the brains and the imagination to work out that some of our semi-professionals might be far better than some of the full-time professional players, if they only had a similar opportunity.

Jared Barry, for one. Dave Porecki (the young Manly LHP) is another. Jed Gillespie is out for the season, he is another one.

Players who glide straight from school into full-time professional careers might not have the mongrel and determination of a player who has had to fight his way up against the odds (and without having had access to all the training resources and time that the full-timers have).[

Players who glide straight from school into full-time professional careers might not have the mongrel and determination of a player who has had to fight his way up against the odds (and without having had access to all the training resources and time that the full-timers have).
Porecki is a classic example - unfashionable rugby school, few season sin colts, gets serious - sheds the kg's etc . Wasn't even thought of as a starting front rower for first grade at the beginning of the season . All heart and deserves ever chance that comes his way...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There has been some great club rugby this season, even during the Soup season.

But the problem for the ARU is that there is more than one city that needs a third tier.

A full national competition (with all the viable first grade clubs involved) would be too big. A selective competition, with a few teams from each city, would be unfair and would discriminate against players who happen not to be in one of the chosen teams (thus ensuring that the strong would get stronger, and the weak would disappear).

Could look to set up some sort of loan system where player's from other clubs could participate. Either that or you look to enter a BaaBaas set up (name called the BaaBaas) team or the option of those not selected combining to enter a team. I don't know but I actually don't think a full national club comp would be viable for most clubs.

That's why I'm a fan of a Rep season. Something akin to the Australian Rugby Shield. Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth. Maybe the country squads or both Sydney and Brisbane could enter two squads. Would be worthwhile looking into it. The difference in this to the ARC is that the clubs would have a direct buy in and wouldn't be excluded as they were in the ARC. Plus as its after the club season has ended it wouldn't conflict with the schedules of players.

The thing is to develop two or three city comps into viable 3rd Tiers it would be possibly more expensive than a rep comp.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Whilst I agree with you it was only of this standard as there were about 20 super or test players (give or take a few) on the field. This doesn't happen during the competition rounds.

Maybe we need to re-visit the format of several years ago when we had a 1 round SS comp (without rep players) followed by the Tooheys Cup when the S15 was completed. The problem is that the calendar is so congested these days that I don't see anyway for this to happen.

We need to find some way of having more rep players in the SS for it to become the 3rd tier (assuming we need one!).

The other point is that there is a clear differentiation in quality between this years top 4 (where most of the S15 players come from) and the rest of the teams, once the S15 players return.

I can't see Easts providing much opposition for Manly or Randwick for Souths next weekend. (Hope I'm wrong in the second case!)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There has to be some continuity, with the same teams (or most of them) guaranteed of a spot every season. That has a whole lot of advantages, particularly building up sponsorship, a tv following, and spectators. (I am talking about a post season competition, after each city's usual competition, maybe only one round thereof of course, then local finals).

But I have thought and thought about it. If we retain current team identities and just pick the top four in each city and have done with it, that means the rest will die away. The fairer way to do it might be to pick the top four at the end of the regular season - but again, what happens to the rest?

The top four from the season would presumably gain some financial benefits, which would make them even stronger next season - not to mention that they would find it easier to attract better players. The strong would get stronger, in other words.

Maybe that is the price we have to pay? Eastwood, Manly, Southern Districts and Combined Universities to represent Sydney (the latter being SU plus the three western Sydney clubs). Eastwood, Manly, and Southern could poach who they like, except for players from SU, Penrith, West Harbour, and Parramtta).

A similar appropriate scenario for Brisbane, a couple of teams each from Melbourne and Perth, and away we go.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There has to be some continuity, with the same teams (or most of them) guaranteed of a spot every season. That has a whole lot of advantages, particularly building up sponsorship, a tv following, and spectators. (I am talking about a post season competition, after each city's usual competition, maybe only one round thereof of course, then local finals).

But I have thought and thought about it. If we retain current team identities and just pick the top four in each city and have done with it, that means the rest will die away. The fairer way to do it might be to pick the top four at the end of the regular season - but again, what happens to the rest?

The top four from the season would presumably gain some financial benefits, which would make them even stronger next season - not to mention that they would find it easier to attract better players. The strong would get stronger, in other words.

Maybe that is the price we have to pay? Eastwood, Manly, Southern Districts and Combined Universities to represent Sydney (the latter being SU plus the three western Sydney clubs). Eastwood, Manly, and Southern could poach who they like, except for players from SU, Penrith, West Harbour, and Parramtta).

A similar appropriate scenario for Brisbane, a couple of teams each from Melbourne and Perth, and away we go.

Then you need to look to the whole "brands" argument. Which clubs would provide the better brand recognition. Randwick would have a strong argument on that front ahead of the likes of Southern. But I think some tough choices need to be made.

The best way I think to work it is basically provide the model and open it up to all comer's on the proviso of meeting a number of strict criteria in terms of facilities (access mostly) and finances. There would be some who could work within those confines while others may need to look to cooperate in order to compete.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Financed by?
The Melbourne and Perth teams would need to be propped up by players from Sydney clubs and then you're back to the ARC problem where Sydney Uni players were spread across the whole competition thus destroying tribal loyalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.