• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon 4ths were all at a bucks weekend and only had 7 players... good club! why not play the 1st colts!!!.. it had been planned the whole week..
UNI coaching staff- seems like all are leaving- from one player in grade--'Hooray' was heard from the car park. Dammmers gone, louden gone, farrer gone..
Grade- Any news on randwick and coaches for 2013- whittaker back in town?

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gordon 4ths were all at a bucks weekend and only had 7 players. good club! why not play the 1st colts!!!.. it had been planned the whole week..
UNI coaching staff- seems like all are leaving- from one player in grade--'Hooray' was heard from the car park. Dammmers gone, louden gone, farrer gone..
Grade- Any news on randwick and coaches for 2013- whittaker back in town?

You are very uninformed, but dont let the truth get in the way of a good story

sooty

Stan Wickham (3)
Well maybe they (Gordon rufc)ShouLd put out a press release explaining why they didn't play as that seems to be the line coming out of club land- as that is what was supposedly said to SRU

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
If it is Norths vs the Hobbits, then the ones to dislike must be the Hobbits. Why?

Peter Jackson, is from the Shaky Isles. He makes movies about the Hobbits and Elves and all sorts of Richie McCaw Cloak of Invisibility sort of stuff based on JRR Tolkein. Peter Jackson supports the Darkness.

In Tolkeinland the Hobbits live in the Shire. Same in Sydney.

The Darkness just touched us up for their 10th successful Bloodyslow Cup campaign. That is worse than the Mungoball SOO losing streak.

Darkness=Lord oF the Rings=Hobbits=Shire = Reason not to suport Southern Districts in Norths vs Souths Shute Shield GF.

Fairly Simple really.

Any other scenarios you want a bad guy identified?

besides being a souths fan, i still have a "strong dislike" to any team north of the bridge from my days as a junior (anyone involved in juniors in the past 10 years or so would probably know why)

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Well maybe they (Gordon rufc)ShouLd put out a press release explaining why they didn't play as that seems to be the line coming out of club land- as that is what was supposedly said to SRU
While Gordon hierachy seem to have escaped censure it seems that the 4's operated as a club within a Club . Poor governance but hey that's Australian rugby

K

Keithy

While Gordon hierachy seem to have escaped censure it seems that the 4's operated as a club within a Club . Poor governance but hey that's Australian rugby
Maybe the people who want an explanation should go to the Gordon website. The grey beards have spoken and some good points were made.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Who really cares about a 4th Grade minor issue?

Move on. I would be prepared to put Chez Jarse on the fact that a stag do will never result in a first grade Shute Shield team having to forfeit a first grade finals game.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Maybe the people who want an explanation should go to the Gordon website. The grey beards have spoken and some good points were made.

Thanks Keithy for pointing this out, and I'd recommend everyone who's been criticising the Gordon players to read the explanation on the Gordon website. On the assumption it's true, I'm satisfied that the players and the club did their best to take the field.

O

Ole Two Blue

Thanks Keithy for pointing this out, and I'd recommend everyone who's been criticising the Gordon players to read the explanation on the Gordon website. On the assumption it's true, I'm satisfied that the players and the club did their best to take the field.

I was there as on Sunday. I think its fair to say Gordon knew prematch they werent going to get the 12 minimum required players to have a game. Their President, who is also a board member of SRU, did not even attend the match. I have no sympathy for the team to be honest, forfeiting a semi final is unacceptable. We've had our struggles over the years, so I empathise with them, but I am sorry, there's no way a semi final in any grade should be forfeited. This is not SJRU U11s.

Their GM first explained to NSWRU officials that they have been decimated by injury and will struggle to get 15. Then they had 11 in attendance with the 12th player arriving 10 minutes before the scheduled kick off time. This player looked like death on two legs and was clearly struggling from a late night prior. Then a player was ruled out to injury by the physio shortly afterwards. The GM then explained to NSWRU officials that they are struggling for numbers due to the 'vast majority of the squad being interstate on a buck's weekend'.

There was a lot of negotiations that ensued, particularly once it became apparent the forfeit had been called. Norths officials shook their heads, NSWRU officials were perplexed and Gordon officials were saying to their players it's ok, we get a second bite fo the cherry anyway.

There was then an enormous amount of gesturing from Gordon officials to NSWRU. Some Norths people made the comment that there was more Gordon officials in attendance than there was players!

In all of this, I feel for their GM. It appears he was somewhat thrown to the wolves by his players and placed in an invidious situation of trying to defend his club despite being thrown to the wolves by it. Their head coach came down and made some comments to NSWRU which might bite him on his back side with the grey beards.

The Grey Beards comments on the Gordon website, whilst conceding I am just an outsider looking in, appear to be designed to shift blame. The bottom line is, a buck's weekend happened and was the cause for the shortfall in numbers. Everyone in club land knew this grey beards side was going to be a reasonable side, surely they knew, even prior to the draw coming out that they would still be playing come the end of August.

I wonder when the wedding is? Wonder if they made it through to the GF would they have been short of numbers for that....................

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ole Two Blue. Thank you for your recount, however while you were there, much of what you are saying is still incorrect.
Dealing in hear say and making statements that are not factual does not benefit anyone.
Given that as you suggested, your club has battled through some tough times i thought you would be above making incorrect statements that are only going to inflame the situation.

O

Ole Two Blue

Ole Two Blue. Thank you for your recount, however while you were there, much of what you are saying is still incorrect.
Dealing in hear say and making statements that are not factual does not benefit anyone.
Given that as you suggested, your club has battled through some tough times i thought you would be above making incorrect statements that are only going to inflame the situation.

then clarify what is incorrect Qaz............

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I was there as on Sunday. I think its fair to say Gordon knew prematch they werent going to get the 12 minimum required players to have a game. Their President, who is also a board member of SRU, did not even attend the match. I have no sympathy for the team to be honest, forfeiting a semi final is unacceptable. We've had our struggles over the years, so I empathise with them, but I am sorry, there's no way a semi final in any grade should be forfeited. This is not SJRU U11s.

Their GM first explained to NSWRU officials that they have been decimated by injury and will struggle to get 15. Then they had 11 in attendance with the 12th player arriving 10 minutes before the scheduled kick off time. This player looked like death on two legs and was clearly struggling from a late night prior. Then a player was ruled out to injury by the physio shortly afterwards. The GM then explained to NSWRU officials that they are struggling for numbers due to the 'vast majority of the squad being interstate on a buck's weekend'.

There was a lot of negotiations that ensued, particularly once it became apparent the forfeit had been called. Norths officials shook their heads, NSWRU officials were perplexed and Gordon officials were saying to their players it's ok, we get a second bite fo the cherry anyway.

There was then an enormous amount of gesturing from Gordon officials to NSWRU. Some Norths people made the comment that there was more Gordon officials in attendance than there was players!

In all of this, I feel for their GM. It appears he was somewhat thrown to the wolves by his players and placed in an invidious situation of trying to defend his club despite being thrown to the wolves by it. Their head coach came down and made some comments to NSWRU which might bite him on his back side with the grey beards.

The Grey Beards comments on the Gordon website, whilst conceding I am just an outsider looking in, appear to be designed to shift blame. The bottom line is, a buck's weekend happened and was the cause for the shortfall in numbers. Everyone in club land knew this grey beards side was going to be a reasonable side, surely they knew, even prior to the draw coming out that they would still be playing come the end of August.

I wonder when the wedding is? Wonder if they made it through to the GF would they have been short of numbers for that........

I too was there as my nephew is a Norths 4th grade player. Whilst I wasnt out on the field while the discussion were taking place, I can confirm the match day controller was and he was bringing the small crowd in attendance up to date on the discussions that were taking place. Plus the Norths guys were passing information back.

Most of what OTB said above seemed pretty accurate to me Qaz. Particularly what I have highlighted.

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
then clarify what is incorrect Qaz....
- They knew they were going to get the minimum 12 and did have
- The 12th player arrived long before 10 minutes prior to kick off and was not hung over. No-one there was
- Gordon officials were not saying "its ok, we get a second bite of the cherry". Everyone knew the situation and Gordon were told by the match day official, after checking that their position in the next week would not be jeopardised.
- There were not 12 Gordon officials in attendance (far from it), meaning that there were not more officials than players
- I can guarantee the GM was not "thrown to the wolves" and he and the Gordon 4th grade players have had a very close working relationship all year
- The bucks party was not the cause in no numbers. Yes in hindsight, those players would have helped, however the Gordon 4th grade side knew this event was happening and had sufficient cover for it. There were several season ending injuries in the last few rounds, people overseas on business trips and players had to pull out late due to unforeseen work circumstances. Unfortunately at 4th grade level, many peoples work comes first and rugby is more of a hobby.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
It seems a number of New Zealand players are coming in based on the club's coaching connection and the ability to offer reasonable jobs as part of a player package(ex - player + board contacts). This in turn reduces player payment!

good on them for creating that network to be able to offer that I say

O

Ole Two Blue

- They knew they were going to get the minimum 12 and did have
- The 12th player arrived long before 10 minutes prior to kick off and was not hung over. No-one there was
- Gordon officials were not saying "its ok, we get a second bite of the cherry". Everyone knew the situation and Gordon were told by the match day official, after checking that their position in the next week would not be jeopardised.
- There were not 12 Gordon officials in attendance (far from it), meaning that there were not more officials than players
- I can guarantee the GM was not "thrown to the wolves" and he and the Gordon 4th grade players have had a very close working relationship all year
- The bucks party was not the cause in no numbers. Yes in hindsight, those players would have helped, however the Gordon 4th grade side knew this event was happening and had sufficient cover for it. There were several season ending injuries in the last few rounds, people overseas on business trips and players had to pull out late due to unforeseen work circumstances. Unfortunately at 4th grade level, many peoples work comes first and rugby is more of a hobby.

1-they did not have the minimum 12.............otherwise the game would have taken place.
it seemed to us he arrived around 10 mins prior, but happy to stand corrected on that one.
2- I can confirm they did make the second bite of the cherry comment, because Jason Grier said it to me after he'd said it to wider group. This was said in front of Bruce Worboys and Mick Clay from NSWRU.
3- the remark about officials was made in jest but it also wasnt that far off. by the time kick off time had arrived in attendance from Gordon were, Mark Hartill, Bob Towers, John Briggs (who made 3 blokes close to him who I did not recognise), Jason Grier, physio and about 5 or 6 more people in Gordon jackets or colours. Again, said in jest my Qaz.
4- It appeared he was thrown to the wolves from the oputside looking in, the poor bloke was still making phone calls trying to find out where players were.
5- LOVE your response to point 5. 'The bucks party was not the cause in no numbers. Yes in hindsight, those players would have helped'. If there was 4 or more guys away on the bucks weekend, then you have 15 plus reserves. How could this not be a contributor to the cause of no numbers I ask? Clearly, you're statement ' Gordon 4th grade side knew this event was happening and had sufficient cover for it' appears inaccurate at best.
- Understand the work commitment v 4th grade argument but FFS, it's a semi final. You play the game dont you?

B

BetterIwas

1-they did not have the minimum 12.....otherwise the game would have taken place.
it seemed to us he arrived around 10 mins prior, but happy to stand corrected on that one.
2- I can confirm they did make the second bite of the cherry comment, because Jason Grier said it to me after he'd said it to wider group. This was said in front of Bruce Worboys and Mick Clay from NSWRU.
3- the remark about officials was made in jest but it also wasnt that far off. by the time kick off time had arrived in attendance from Gordon were, Mark Hartill, Bob Towers, John Briggs (who made 3 blokes close to him who I did not recognise), Jason Grier, physio and about 5 or 6 more people in Gordon jackets or colours. Again, said in jest my Qaz.
4- It appeared he was thrown to the wolves from the oputside looking in, the poor bloke was still making phone calls trying to find out where players were.
5- LOVE your response to point 5. 'The bucks party was not the cause in no numbers. Yes in hindsight, those players would have helped'. If there was 4 or more guys away on the bucks weekend, then you have 15 plus reserves. How could this not be a contributor to the cause of no numbers I ask? Clearly, you're statement ' Gordon 4th grade side knew this event was happening and had sufficient cover for it' appears inaccurate at best.
- Understand the work commitment v 4th grade argument but FFS, it's a semi final. You play the game dont you?

I am close to one of the players who did turn up.

As to the 12th player I am told he had an injured neck, was willing to take the field to help his team and to try to stay out of trouble as much as he could. As the team was told they could play the next week then it was decided not to risk him - very sensible. Therefore no game as only 11 players. The comment as to second bite may have been said after the decision had been made and it was a factor in deciding not to play the injured player.

I am told as at Saturday Gordon did have at least 15 players - see the Gordon website as to what happened between Sat & Sunday (and no, it was not alcohol related).

There were some players away but the team had organised the numbers - sadly it did not work out.

Not condoning what happened but at least people tried to fix the potential problem.

As to the decision to eliminate the team by either NSWRU or SRU - that will bring back the crowds and players ! Good idea punishing those who turned up.

No wonder players and supporters scratch their heads at administrators. They should be encouraging players to play - not discouraging them.

I am told the Gordon players spoke with the Norths layers about the problem. Interestingly it does not appear the actual Norths players are complaining about the Gordon players.

What good do the administrators think the decision is going to do ? When you think about it, nothing.

blindside

Stan Wickham (3)
the 4th grade comp has never had so much air time. even getting a coloumn in the telegraph. well done to gordon 4th's, really putting the competition on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.