• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The majority of S15 players have come through NSW, and especially their development programs which obviously include the Shute Shield. I would have thought that this nursery would be protected for all of the S15 teams benefit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Personally I see the Brumby players playing in the Canberra comp and not Sydney as good. It means that the game is promoted and improved outside of Sydney. Sorry fellas but we need to start thinking nationally if we want the game to grow. And yes I would say the same thing if some of them were playing in Brisbane club sides.
this is spot on......in theory
Shute shield, one way or another, is the main comp in the engine room of rugby player production.
It is close to busted.
Little things like this that look good for the reasons you cite have their consequences.
Bust rugby in Sydney, assuming it isn't already, and you will bust oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I might've missed it, but I dont' recall any complaints from up north about the players the Brumbies have also taken away from the Queensland comp?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The majority of S15 players have come through NSW, and especially their development programs which obviously include the Shute Shield. I would have thought that this nursery would be protected for all of the S15 teams benefit.

So what about all the players who have come out of QLD - comp and the acadamy (that has now been moved to Sydney)?????????

I will say it again. As a code we need to start thinking nationally if we want to improve and expand. To stir the pot - the Sydneycentic decisions get up the noses of the other provinces, and in my opinion mean that rugby misses the opportunity to recruit some younger players running around. Why? The Sydney comp gets stronger to the detriment of other comps for a start. And with regards to the younger players - Sydney is a big, expensive and at times scary city to live in. If at 17 you are offered the oportunity to play league in your home city (or state), or have to move to Sydney to get oportunities in Union, there is going to be some very considered thinking going on and the passion for the game is going to have to be very high to over ride other considerations. The Pococks and O'Connors are not the norm, i.e. there are not that many young guys around who will move from one side of the counrty to the other, away from family, friends, study and jobs, on the off chance that they will be good enough. Yes I know those pair are exceptions to every rule as they were recognised as outstanding at a very young age and were paid (I expect) accordingly. How many boys (because they are boys) are out there who may or may not make that level and have to consider life outside of Rugby? Also taking players at this level out of the local comps means that support for (interest in) the local comps is diminished, therfore any chance of increasing the fan base in these areas is hampered. How much does it cost to take a family to a Super Rugby match to see these guys play, as opposed to wandering down to the local ground to see them play when they are in their club side? Are you going to pay $50-100 bucks to take your 7 year old to the Super Rugby to see if they are interested?

And now I will get off my soap box before I really offend someone.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's Sydney centric simply because of the population differences....as with everything else 'cept AFL.
How many qlders are playing for Sydney league clubs? Many! For the same reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's Sydney centric simply because of the population differences....as with everything else 'cept AFL.
How many qlders are playing for Sydney league clubs? Many! For the same reason.

Maybe so. But if that is the case, population differences, why should it matter if the Brumby players play in Canberra? There should be plenty of others in Sydney. (Devils advocate hat jammed very tightly on head.)

And with regards to the League - you are probably right. Are we talking NRL level or what ever their Sydney club comp is? One thing that I think the NRL has done well (some clubs better then others I will grant you) is to provide pathways for local talent. Something that I think Rugby struggles with.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
As an ex-Shute Shield and current Subbies player Begg can pull his head in. The Brumbies aren't telling clubs what they can and ca't do, they're telling their employees their conditions of employment. And as the Super rugby season doesn't end until August how much would Manly really see these players.

As these players fill the Canberra Club ranks they raise the standard of competition. They also make way for new talent to enter the Shute Shield. It's a win for rugby all round. It's attitudes like Begg's that has driven the Shute Shield to the crap state that it now finds itself in. Look after your own patch and screw everyone else. Seriously, if their development program is as good as they reckon then they'll find the players to fill the void. Otherwise Begg's just spinning $h!+.

Seeing as Manly's administration is struggling so much that they had to get rid of the General Managers position this will be a good thing that they don't have to pay players they obviously can't afford.

If a decision like this threatens the Shute Shield like some of the arrogant, self-righteous and exceptionally selfish Sydney-centrics believe then it deserves to die. RIP

P.S. Having racked up nearly 100 games in Canberra and nearly as many in a Kentwell Club, Begg is kidding himself if he thinks most, if not all Kentwell sides could make the finals, let alone win it. "Mickey Mouse"...Bull$h!+.

T

Tahboy

I think the complaints from Sydney is that clubs spend money to get a quality player to the club, let's say a player from the country and they have help him with somewhere to live so they pay bond and a few weeks rent and maybe a car and find him work and maybe a car or they have to pay his Uni fees and this is common to get a good player.This player plays a year in Colts then goes to grade and does well and improves through the coaching and support and then when he is ready for 1st grade and the Brumbies sign him and 10k+ has gone down the drain and 2 years of time and effort investment plus they are short a first grade player and have to find someone else.
Maybe the Canberra clubs should get of there bums and recruit these players outside of the Act and put the effort and $$$ to get these players instead of hanging of the coat tails of the Brumbies to get them players that Sydney clubs have done the hard yards to get.
The Canberra argument of players being pinched by Sydney clubs IE Touma and Chisolm is very weak, I don't remember reading about guns being put too there heads and the usual trot out names of Touma and Chisolm said they came to Sydney so they could push for inclusion in the Wallabies tour as they knew they would not get selected from Canberra.
I think clubs in Sydney will baulk at players who have any chance of being picked up by the Brumbies and once there is a sniff of them signing with the Brumbies all financial support will stop.
I would suggest players who started there career with a club in Colts should have the option to go back to that club or stay in Canberra and make the players decide. Players who started there footy in Canberra can stay.
In the end Sydney will survive but things with recruitment from school and contracts with clubs will be done differently and players who still want affiliation with there club and have options of joining say the Tahs or Brumbies or Rebels and Brumbies won't go to the Brumbies.
There plenty of good arguments for both sides of the argument but the decision has been made so let's see how it goes

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the complaints from Sydney is that clubs spend money to get a quality player to the club, let's say a player from the country and they have help him with somewhere to live so they pay bond and a few weeks rent and maybe a car and find him work and maybe a car or they have to pay his Uni fees and this is common to get a good player.This player plays a year in Colts then goes to grade and does well and improves through the coaching and support and then when he is ready for 1st grade and the Brumbies sign him and 10k+ has gone down the drain and 2 years of time and effort investment plus they are short a first grade player and have to find someone else.
Maybe the Canberra clubs should get of there bums and recruit these players outside of the Act and put the effort and $$$ to get these players instead of hanging of the coat tails of the Brumbies to get them players that Sydney clubs have done the hard yards to get.
The Canberra argument of players being pinched by Sydney clubs IE Touma and Chisolm is very weak, I don't remember reading about guns being put too there heads and the usual trot out names of Touma and Chisolm said they came to Sydney so they could push for inclusion in the Wallabies tour as they knew they would not get selected from Canberra.
I think clubs in Sydney will baulk at players who have any chance of being picked up by the Brumbies and once there is a sniff of them signing with the Brumbies all financial support will stop.
I would suggest players who started there career with a club in Colts should have the option to go back to that club or stay in Canberra and make the players decide. Players who started there footy in Canberra can stay.
In the end Sydney will survive but things with recruitment from school and contracts with clubs will be done differently and players who still want affiliation with there club and have options of joining say the Tahs or Brumbies or Rebels and Brumbies won't go to the Brumbies.
There plenty of good arguments for both sides of the argument but the decision has been made so let's see how it goes

But the Canberra clubs have been doing that for a number of years... particularly Vikings and Queanbeyan...

And then they're snapped up by the Sydney clubs when they make a name for themselves...

The Sydney clubs need to accept the Brumbies' decision and move on.

This decision benefits everyone with more Sydney players getting opportunities, and the Canberra competition gets the boost it deserves.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

And how do you think that the Brums feel about the $$$$ they have put into AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

Can't have it both ways fellas.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As an ex-Shute Shield and current Subbies player Begg can pull his head in. The Brumbies aren't telling clubs what they can and ca't do, they're telling their employees their conditions of employment. And as the Super rugby season doesn't end until August how much would Manly really see these players.

As these players fill the Canberra Club ranks they raise the standard of competition. They also make way for new talent to enter the Shute Shield. It's a win for rugby all round. It's attitudes like Begg's that has driven the Shute Shield to the crap state that it now finds itself in. Look after your own patch and screw everyone else. Seriously, if their development program is as good as they reckon then they'll find the players to fill the void. Otherwise Begg's just spinning $h!+.

Seeing as Manly's administration is struggling so much that they had to get rid of the General Managers position this will be a good thing that they don't have to pay players they obviously can't afford.

If a decision like this threatens the Shute Shield like some of the arrogant, self-righteous and exceptionally selfish Sydney-centrics believe then it deserves to die. RIP

P.S. Having racked up nearly 100 games in Canberra and nearly as many in a Kentwell Club, Begg is kidding himself if he thinks most, if not all Kentwell sides could make the finals, let alone win it. "Mickey Mouse"...Bull$h!+.

Where will they find that talent - just walking down the beach: Its January!
What do you think you'd be watching in a few years time if the sydney clubs were to fold - particularly the stalwart one's like Manly?
There's simply no way that the ARU have got the money or the brains to fill the void that would leave. if you think otherwise you dont understand the "structure" of Australian rugby - I get the feeling you think that the ACT could become the ARU's powerhouse.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where will they find that talent - just walking down the beach: Its January!
What do you think you'd be watching in a few years time if the sydney clubs were to fold - particularly the stalwart one's like Manly?
There's simply no way that the ARU have got the money or the brains to fill the void that would leave. if you think otherwise you dont understand the "structure" of Australian rugby - I get the feeling you think that the ACT could become the ARU's powerhouse.

The Brumbies made this decision some time ago.

Maybe we'll be watching a better competition?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) grew up on the Central Coast of NSW - whats your next point

Yes, but he spent many years in the Brumbies Academy and in their senior squad.

All those years spent on him and he goes to the Waratahs when he was probably needed most.

But you know what? That's professional sport. We move on.

This inferiority complex that some of those are displaying in this matter is rather pathetic.

This is a professional game, and the less time these players are spending not playing club rugby the better as it means they're playing at a higher level.

Let's not forget that Australian club rugby is merely a stepping stone for players to reach SupeRugby or other fully professional rugby competitions.

I'm sure there are a lot of players in the Manly catchment who are now excited at the prospect at stepping up to the next level.

Manly have really only lost one homegrown player in this. I'm sure they'll survive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No doubt they will survive - but it puts a hole in season 2012 at a very late stage
its really just more evidence that the ARU have never had a principled approach to these type of issues, which are issues for which they are responsible

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another thing, how many players has the Shute Shield actually lost in this?

Taking away those test players that won't be playing club rugby...

The Queenslanders...

The guys already playing in the ACT or in NZ...

Those that the Shute Shield already poached from Canberra...

Is it really that big of a loss?

NSW is the biggest rugby producer in the country. Plus they can still rely on imports from other parts of the country.

The Sydney clubs need to dry those tears, harden the fuck up and move on.

The Shute Shield will still remain the premier backyard rugby comp in the country. And now we'll also have two other strong competitions.

Everyone wins. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.